HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #21
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

I have them but they need to have the holes opened up to fit the larger bearings in the axles on the Moser rear. With a little luck I'll have them back Friday.

But I'll keep you in mind if I have something along those lines that comes up.

Actually, I am missing the kick panel vent for the right-hand side. The one that's controlled by a knob via cable. The car only came with the left one. But I'm sure I'll track one down somewhere.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 06-04-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #22
Dave Muller

At this point I have the patch panel welded in with one of my usual ugly welds, and I'm most of the way through grinding the welds down. Of course if I were a better welder I'd be done with that now! And damn, MIG welds are hard!

But this morning I test fit the slicks. Later today I'll put the jack under the rear to move the tire up into the wheel well in case that results in a tight spot I haven't seen yet, but so far it looks pretty good. The front bottom corner is a little tight. I am considering trimming that back a bit:

It looks like I'm a bit limited to how much I can lower the rear but I think I'll be okay here too:

Finally the inside looks like about 3/8" minimum clearance. I might consider a very thin spacer to move it out just a bit depending on how the outside looks when I jack up the rear:

I also might have to tweak that body mount behind the tire just a bit, but I suspect that will not be necessary either.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #23
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Dave,,, as I'm scrolling down looking at the pictures, I was thinking about your inside clearance, since we have to run a spacer behind the wheels on my son's '72 Malibu. You look to be a little tight there as well, so I guess a '66-67 inner well is no different. By the way, which engine combo are you leaning towards?
Nice project,, good luck with it.
Danny Durham

Last edited by Geerhead55; 06-13-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
Dave,,, as I'm scrolling down looking at the pictures, I was thinking about your inside clearance, since we have to run a spacer behind the wheels on my son's '72 Malibu. You look to be a little tight there as well, so I guess a '66-67 inner well is no different. By the way, which engine combo are you leaning towards?
Nice project,, good luck with it.
Danny Durham
You're probably right. I'll see how the outside is when I raise the rear, if there's more clearance there than the inside that will settle the issue.

It'll be a 283/200 engine.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #25
Dave Muller

This is the minimum ride height that I could imagine running. Clearance starts to disappear pretty quickly as it goes lower. Inside clearance looks to be about 1/2", outside clearance about 3/8". Front and rear are the tightest here as well, with 3/4" in front and 1/2" at the rear.

The picture below shows the tire at approximately the ride height I would expect to use. The inside clearance here is still about 1/2", all other clearances improve substantially.

I think the body mount itself is fine, but I may have to do a little work on the lower inside corner of the inner wheel well.

As the body comes up further all clearances except the inside improve. The inside drops to 3/8" in some cases. Overall I think I like the wheel and tire exactly where it is, I don't think I'll use a spacer. If I do try one it'll be the thinnest one I can find.

And finally, here's the rear anti-roll bar that I just got. This should take care of that issue once and for all.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #26
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

David, That first picture is plenty low. It appears that the center line of the axle is above the top of rocker panel (bottom of door) which is where the factory intended it to be.
If it was me, I'd make a little curved pie cut in the front and push the lip forward to meet the quarter.
Oh boy..More migging.
You can probably get away with what you've got , with radials.
I'd grind away a bit of that body mount, and then a generous application of a Ford tool will fix it all right up.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #27
Roberte

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Question Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Ball peen or dead blow?
Roberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
stocker396

Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts

Okay Dave as a Person who has Been There Done that WITH a Stocker with suspension You DO NOT Need to cut outer Body. The Front INNER wheel house MUST BE TRIMMED or it will chew it up on launch and leave. Also Roll the inner Rear to be safe because it can rub. 30 X9 Hoosier Radials and tested with 96" M/T too as well as 29.5 x9 M/T Bias. I have already covered ALL the options you are mulling over. You will like that bar Too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	29286   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	29287   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	29288  

stocker396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #29
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
Okay Dave as a Person who has Been There Done that WITH a Stocker with suspension You DO NOT Need to cut outer Body. The Front INNER wheel house MUST BE TRIMMED or it will chew it up on launch and leave. Also Roll the inner Rear to be safe because it can rub. 30 X9 Hoosier Radials and tested with 96" M/T too as well as 29.5 x9 M/T Bias. I have already covered ALL the options you are mulling over. You will like that bar Too.
Thanks for the info. I'll look at the front inside again, it makes sense it would be tight there. And I was definitely going to buy myself some clearance on the rear inside corner.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #30
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
...then a generous application of a Ford tool will fix it all right up.
I think my Ranger and Mustang take exception to that!