HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
HR 3964

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Adding Weight

I have ran in the hot rod class of the ihra and they have a 2600 lb min. that was no problem but now i want to run NHRA super street so i know i need to add weight.

My idea was to add some weight plates(dumbbell plates) and secure them properly. would this be NHRA legal?

thanks
kevin
HR 3964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Adding Weight

Here's some rulebook stuff on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA Rulebook
4:2 BALLAST
As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or behind the rear of the car’s body or above the rear tires. No liquid or loose ballast permitted (i.e., water, sandbags, rocks, shot bags, metal weights, etc.). Discovery of loose or disguised ballast will result in disqualification from the event, regardless of whether infraction occurs during qualifying or eliminations. Additional penalties may be imposed in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA. Weight boxes (two maximum) made of 1/8-inch material may be constructed to hold small items such as shot bags, lead bars, etc., as long as box and contents do not weigh more than 100 pounds or as outlined in Class Requirements. The box must be securely fastened to the frame or crossmember with at least two 1/2- inch-diameter steel bolts. Any liquid other than engine fuel being used, located behind the front firewall (on a front-engine car), is considered ballast and is prohibited, except for intercooler tanks that contain water and/or ice only. Tank must be securely mounted to frame, frame member, or OEM floor pan. To permit “making a class” due to a difference in scale calibration, a maximum removable weight of 100 pounds (or as outlined in Class Requirements) is permitted. Removable weight must be securely mounted to the frame or frame structure by a minimum of two 1/2-inch-diameter steel bolts per 100 pounds, or one 3/8-inch steel bolt per 5 pounds; all other weight bars, pucks, etc. must use minimum 1/2-inch- diameter SAE grade 8 bolts for attachment. Hose clamps, wire, strapping, tape, tie wraps, etc. for securing weight or ballast prohibited. Acceptable forms of ballast are 1) Heavier gauge steel floors (i.e., 16- or 18-gauge, heavier gauge and/or plate steel prohibited); 2) Frame reinforcing cross members; or 3) the addition of protective equipment such as roll bars, flywheel shield, etc. If additional ballast is needed and is permitted by Class Requirements, it must be permanently attached to frame, bolted with two 1/2-inch-diameter bolts per 100 pounds, with nuts welded to bolts. Maximum amount of removable and/or permanent ballast, unless otherwise stated under Class Requirements, is 500 pounds. Cars running 8.49 and quicker are limited to 250 pounds maximum, per SFI chassis specification.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts
Default Re: Adding Weight

Here's the approach I used to mount 6 twenty pound bars in the chassis car I used for Super Street....I would like to sell all six bars (welded rectangular tube with bungs and filled with steel shot) and the hardware shown so PM me if you're interested. It's all NHRA approved as specified in the rulebook section providd by Chris. In general terms you want to mount the weight low and towards the back. If you've corner weighted the car previously you can spread the bars around to keep things close, too much in one location may require suspension tweaks.

Last edited by jmcarter; 07-16-2013 at 06:34 PM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote