HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #41
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: Slow Stockers...Strong Divisional Finishes

Unless I miss counted, there are 5 "slow" stockers in the top 104 cars at final count for 2020. There were almost 850 cars in Stock Eliminator this year, so not a bad representation of the slower class cars. Way to go boys!!!!!

I love watching a slow car race a really fast car. Yes, I root for the slow one.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #42
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

For myself, having a lower classed Stocker is what is comfortable for my racing skills. I started with a slow street car and the fit into Stock was a natural.

After time I became a little burned out, but when newer cars started running in the 8`s, that was the motivation to get my car competitive again, I love the mammoth head starts!

Congrats again to the great finishes of those that finished very well this year!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #43
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: Slow Stockers...Strong Divisional Finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
Unless I miss counted, there are 5 "slow" stockers in the top 104 cars at final count for 2020. There were almost 850 cars in Stock Eliminator this year, so not a bad representation of the slower class cars. Way to go boys!!!!!

I love watching a slow car race a really fast car. Yes, I root for the slow one.
I have spent the last 6yrs of racing having goals of the Top 20 in D7, and the Top 200 nationally. Thanks to my win on 10/11, and my 1/4 finals finish 10/09, they allowed me the 8th place in my division, and sole possession of 61st nationally....by far my best season ever as a stocker racer, and I am VERRRRY THANKFUL FOR THAT!!!🏆

If I had a much better budget, I have talked about racing a second car like some of my buds who do. However, I most likely would use the funding to improve my current operation (truck, trailer, and car).

As for the FWD v RWD slow car comment, I must say that I wanted to race my 1st race winning car (A 1976 Chevy Vega 140ci 2bbl and Turbo 250 automatic. With this car I won the '77 Bandimere Speedway MemorialDay High School Drags King of The Hill Championship as a senior at Denver's South High School. 2yrs later, I won five bracket races in six final rounds at Mile High Raceway, and (as an alternate for the '79 Div V ET Finals Bandimere Speedway team), I was the lone semi-finals participant. When I found my car 13yrs later, it had a Pontiac 4cyl and a 5spd in it, so that ruined my Vega thoughts, and turned me to the Cavalier. I'm thankful for my Z24 living up to its original magazine ad..."Beware the Z24. Cavalier's running with the big boys now."
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:44 AM   #44
Leroy Duran

Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4284spd View Post
Just a curious question for the slower stock racers, do you race a slow combo because of financial reasons or do you feel that there is a advantage with them? Serious question.
And do you want to go to a quicker combo if you could?

I think this could be a loaded question. For me and my personal experience as a driver only I feel there is a threshold. I had the opportunity to drive Mike and Bj Graham’s U/SA off and on for a couple season and I’ll be the first to say it was a blast being #1 qualifier everywhere but when it came to bracket racing with a dial on it that was a Challenge. There are so many variables that affect lower horsepower cars. I also drive Angelo Phillips L/SA mopar that runs 11.9s/.80s at 110 mph and that car is much easier to bracket race being 110mph only puts u behind by maybe 20 mph at most unless ur racing a cobra jet or something like that.

But Answering your question “ is there an advantage I would say no because anytime the race is unfolding behind u I feel that’s a disadvantage. I think a mid to low 10 second stocker would be the sweet spot to be in stock. Example I’ve raced super street and been on the slow side and the fast side of things slow side being 122 mph and the fast side being 163mph. Being to far on one side other the other is difficult but I’ve also ran a 140 mph super street car as well and my win % was much higher then the other 2 cars.

So again my perspective is from a driver stand point only and by no means am I being disrespectful to the guys with the slower cars.
Leroy Duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #45
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

The faster car has the advantage! Period.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #46
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daran Summerton View Post
The faster car has the advantage! Period.
Yeahhhhhh......................No!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #47
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I think the real question is...." Which type of race car ( slow or fast ) has the most disadvantages "
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #48
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
I think the real question is...." Which type of race car ( slow or fast ) has the most disadvantages "
I think that some drivers will do well in anything. Fletcher is a great example.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #49
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

I think I will throw this into the mix about advantages or disadvantages.

Take a look at Jody Lang's Malibu Wagon. True, it is neither a slow car or a fast car, classed L,M, or N at various events. Jody has placed in the top 10 numerous times and will be carrying the big number 1 next year.

While the car is more than capable of winning, I think Jody's skills help put the car in the winner's circle. Yes he has had some loses in early rounds on occasion, but overall if Jody is at an event he is in the running for a win. There are many other driver's that fit this description, also.

I guess the point of my ramblings is to say the driver is as important as the car. Can a slow car win, YES, but I think a faster car is less affected by changes in weather, altitude or other things that affect a car, making it harder to dial. Just ask a guy like Gary Hampton about that.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #50
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

My opinion, FWIW
If you have one of the slower cars out there, and can't put together a consistent, good package, you probably need to find out why. That is, unless you enjoy forking over your hard earned money to the house.
Same goes for the faster guys, although you'll probably pick up a few more lucky rounds, the way the rules are currently structured.