HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2 new winners Stirk & Vezina - Surmatchewski takes pts lead!

St Thomas Raceway Park weekend was a huge success!

Competitors in the Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series took on the 1/8th mile at St Thomas Raceway Park in Sparta, Ontario this past weekend for a spectacular two day drag racing event in partnership with the Can Am Stock / Super Stock Series.

Thanks to many supporters and volunteers, Saturday's racer barbeque raised over $1000 that will be donated to the Heart & Stroke Foundation in memory of Tim Thorne. The weekend was a terrific celebration of Tim's life and his impact on the local drag racing community.

Presented by The Second City Toronto, the weekend saw two new TNTSS event winners in the highly competitive series with Andrew Stirk from Orangeville winning Saturday and Marc Vezina from Straffordville winning on Sunday.

As well, the race from May 21st was completed and Oakland's Dave Surmatchewski took not only the event win but also took over the 2011 Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series points lead.

Saturday August 20
Twenty-one cars qualifying in two sessions resulted in Caledonia's Ray Martino landing atop the field in the number one spot running a perfect 7.000 ET.

But five rounds later, it was Andrew Stirk as the event winner defeating TNTSS newcomer Andy Cole of St Thomas. Advantage off the line went to Andrew with a .003 light to Andy's .024. When Andy lost power at half-track, Andrew was able to coast to the win at a 7.27.

Andrew says his plan for the weekend was to set up as tight as possible on his packages. "Eighth mile racing is always really close, and knowing how good the racers in the TNT series are, everything is just that much closer."

Andrew's march through the field saw him face some very tough rounds defeating Bill Elekes, Pete Maduri Jr, Gary Saska and Dave Surmatchewski.

"This weekend we were determined to qualify one of our team drivers for The Trailer Shop/ERD Race of Champions," added Andrew. "Races like it don't come along every day and we wanted to get our invite before we ran out of chances to get in."

Sponsors on the 1989 Mustang include DSE Automotive, Fred Gross at MAC Tools and Tire Discounter - all from Brampton.

"I'd like to thank Second City for sponsoring the weekend, as well as Joe's Transmission. I also want to thank my mom and dad, and entire family for supporting my brother Iain and I in all our racing endeavours."

Specialty Awards - Aug 20
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Ray Martino (Caledonia, Ontario) with a 7.000
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Steve McCarrick (Phelps, NY) with a 7.000
•St Thomas Raceway Park FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Chris VanBaalen (Wellandport, Ontario) with a .001

Saturday Aug 20 (May 21 Rainout)
After the regular race on Saturday, there were three rounds to finish from a previous race (May 21 Cayuga) before the racer barbeque got underway.

Making it to the final were Dave Surmatchewski and Bill Elekes. The round ended quickly as Bill went .001 red on the tree handing the win to the black 1983 Cutlass. Dave posted an .012 reaction and 6.998 ET.

"The car was deadly all weekend which made it possible to be sharp at both ends of the track," said Dave. "The track surface here at St Thomas has been absolutely perfect all weekend!"

Dave wanted to thank Alex Schuts and Insta Insulation for their continued support as well as Danny at Douglas Engines in Brantford. "Above all, thanks to my wife Alyson and kids Marissa and Madison for their help and support. We love racing this series and have a lot of fun."

This win is Dave's fifth in the series since it began and it catapults him into the number one qualifying spot for The Trailer Shop / ERD Race of Champions in two weeks, bumping Pete Maduri Jr to second and Ted Barnes to third.

Specialty Awards - Aug 20 (set back on May 21 at Cayuga)
◦Mark Herbold (Elma, NY) with a 10.901
◦Steve McCarrick (Phelps, NY) with a 10.924

Sunday August 21
Sunday started out wet with significant rainfall overnight and then brief showers in the morning. However by noon, the skies started to clear and at 2:00pm, cars were on track for qualifying. Newark, New York's Harry Phelps took the number one spot with a 7.002 pass.

This day saw Marc Vezina from Straffordville take the win over Binbrook's Wayne Sipos. On his way to the final, Marc took out the likes of Joe Passero, Dave Surmatchewski, Pete Maduri Jr and Harry Phelps.

Marc was sharp on the tree in the money round. With an .016 light to Wayne's uncharacteristically late .062, Marc took the stripe and the win running 7.028 to Wayne's too fast 6.998.

In the winner's circle, Marc thanked Joe's Transmission for sponsoring this series. "Also want to thank my sponsors Klassen Auto Parts in Straffordville, Ontario and Marc's Gas Bar & Variety a family owned business in Straffordville, Ontario. Thanks to my pit crew, Jackie my wife and a very special thanks to my son Andrew who runs the family business on weekends to make it possible for me to get away and race."

"It's too bad my daughter Nikki and Dan and grandchildren Owen and Gracie couldn't have been here for pictures as they were here on Saturday," Marc added.

The 1967 Camaro was built in Marc's garage about 8 years ago with a homebuilt 454 Chevrolet and powerglide transmission.

"The highlight of the day was round 3 against Dave Surmatchewski. We had identical reaction times (.019) and Dave ran 6.9989 to my 7.005. That was a great race and Dave made a point to shake my hand and say the same. I would really like to thank Ted and St Thomas Raceway Park for not calling the race due to rain as the day started with rain and looked like a no go. But everybody worked hard to make it a great day and what a great weekend it was for all."

Marc is now on the qualifying sheet for The Trailer Shop / ERD Race of Champions in two weeks at Cayuga Dragway.

Specialty Awards - Aug 21
◦Harry Phelps (Newark, NY) with a 7.002
◦George Mayer (Niagara Falls, Ontario) with a 7.003
•St Thomas Raceway Park FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Kevin Orr (Orangeville, Ontario) with a .024

Next stop on the 2011 Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series is another double race weekend at Cayuga Dragway at Toronto Motorsports Park on September 3-4 including the first ever TNTSS Race of Champions sponsored by The Trailer Shop and ERD. Visit www.tntsuperseries.com for complete details.

Current Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series Championship Points Standings - Top Ten
1 Dave Surmatchewski 478
2 Mark Herbold 461
3 Ted Barnes 429
4 Bill Elekes 400
5 Scott Jahren 399
6 Fred Gross 396
7 Chris VanBaalen 387
8 Pete Maduri Jr 383
9 Harry Phelps 378
10 Ray Martino 352