HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #4611
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDane View Post
Hi All, I'm the new guy here.

WOW! This thread must be a world record, if not by the number of posts, then by the time it has been alive - and it certainly IS alive, and will probably be, until the whole world know everything about the full history of Daryl's car.

I was inspired by reading the HotRod article (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...ight-side-view) about the Landy car, and wanted to know more details about LO23's, so I googled myself right into this thread, where I have been trapped for the last 2 weeks of great, great history lessons.

It is not much I can add to the research, from my position in Denmark, except from coming up with a few ideas, so here is my first:

As far as I can see, there is only one known color picture of car, namely the on with the unique dent on the quarter panel, which by 99.99% certainty links the identy to Daryl's car.

As I rebember (after reading 4.000+ posts ... can have missed a few ), it has always been described as "the silver Dart" with "Manhattan Speed Parts (or Shop)" lettering on the front fenders.

1) I'm not convinced that the car was actually silver, when that photo was taken. The reflections indicate that it is most likely a metallic, but the color is actullay light purple or light blue on the pic, rather than plain silver.

Every color picture has it's level of mis-coloring, especially when the picture is from the 60'es, printed in an almost 50 years old magazine, and eventually scanned and shown on a computer screen - which are all different - so this could easily make a silver car looking light purple or blue.

But if you compare the red/silver Coronet in the foreground, which is almost certainly a plain silver, there is actually a clear color difference between the silver faces of that car and the Dart.

The Dart's color looks much closer to this one, on the picture:

(source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5087d27429.jpg)

... wich, when you see it in real, could be a much more destinct purple, like this:

(source: http://blog.consumerguide.com/photo-...hardtop-coupe/)

Not a bad color, if you want some attention to your race car and your sponsors, given the fact at all your competitors already use all the signal colors, for the same purpose, right?

(And maybe it could distinguish Daryl's car from all the other red LO23's too, even in a historically authentic way )

This is not an evidence, that it was actually purpe or blue, but if everybody ask for a silver car, which was actually purple or blue, it could have mislead the whole research.

I'm sure that If sombody ask me if I remember a yellow Nova on our local strip, when I was young, I would'nt have a clue. But if you ask me if I remember an orange one, I could tell you a lot about one particular Nova and its owner.

2) It has been descriped in many posts here, that "Manhattan Speed Parts (or Shop)" was letted on the front fenders, but none of the pictures, here in the thread (color as well as B&W), actually show such lettering. I only see the shop mentioned in the caption.

It seems like there might be some white lettering on the upper part of the doors, but it is far too blurred to read it, if it is a lettering at all.

So this could be another potential mislead, if there never - or only by a single/few occasions - was such a lettering, and never shown in the press.

But if there actually were a white lettering on the doors, or anywhere else, its actually another indication that the car was not silver .... cause who would ever paint white letters on a silver background?

Don't give up!

TheDane
Welcome here TheDane. Glad you made your way over here. Always great to have new blood. With it comes a different perspective of ideas. I am always open to new ideas, thoughts, possibilities, & general shots in the dark..
Agreed with you on the color for sure. This has been mentioned to me several times before as I have been concentrating my efforts on the name of Manhattan Speed and just leaving the color as a generic silver. It is most definite an off silver color with a moave or purple haze to it. ( Hendricks pun intended). I never really took that much notice of it till you mentioned the silver difference between the Landy Coronet right in front of it. couldn't get a better picture showing contrast than that one. Thanks for pointing that out!!!!
That one color photo is actually copied from the original and was never publically shown previous to my posting it as far as I know so I think the colors are pretty accurate considering the accuracy of the colors on Landys car. The oranfge is more of a red tho.

Now, as far as the "Manhattan Speed Parts" name goes, I have been told it was put on this car with White Shoe polish. I have spoke with the owner of that Speed Shop at the time Joe Dotto, and he does not remember sponsoring a Hemi Dart at any time. So, I'm thinking that he has forgot about it because it more then likely was only a one maybe 2 event deal they had.
I had a stored pictured of it that was enlarged and it very clearly shows the name Manhattan Speed Parts written on it in shoe polish on the door.
Unfortunately that one pic. was lost in a computer crash.
If anyone here has the skills or know how how to do it again, I sure would appreciate it!!!!!

liteweight

Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #4612
Liteweight
VIP Member

Been awhile since I've seen any of my fellow Canuck buddy Marfen's LO23 posted so I thought it was time.

liteweight

Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #4613
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie A View Post
The pictures drop off after an unknown ( to me anyway) period of time. That is why we keep reposting them. They would do the same thing in another topic. Actually I enjoy going back through the older posts looking for more pictures. So many stories here that are forgotten with time.

Definitely fun to peruse the old threads, and I am a relative newcomer here, so I don't mean to shake things up; just an idea. I assume that old photos drop off after a certain period if the owner deletes the account of their photo-hosting site, or alters their security settings (no longer "public"), or yes- maybe just after a pre-determined "expiration" period.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a try. Here is a video clip of one of my first (as evidenced by me forgetting to turn on the ignition toggle) outings in my Dart. Crappy video from an iPhone, shot by my 11-year old, so...

LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #4614
TheDane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Unfortunately that one pic. was lost in a computer crash.
If anyone here has the skills or know how how to do it again, I sure would appreciate it!!!!!

liteweight
Thankyou liteweight, and thanks for your feeback.

Oh! - that's bad! ... (and let me guess; that was not the only data you lost)

Unfortunately, my best advise is already too late, but use Dropbox (or similar "sky" database). It's safe, it works, and you can toast your slicks on top of your laptop and still be able to access all your data.

As I frequently renew my computers (as I quess we all do), I completely stopped storing work data, incl. pictures, on my computer. I store everything, except from programmes and system files, on my Dropbox - work as well as private files.

In fact, when you store on Dropbox, you actually store on your computer, but it save a copy in the sky immediately, as you are connected to the internet. This means that you can always access and work with your files, even if you are off line, but next time you connect, it automatically updates all the files you have stored or changed on your computer, since last connection.

This means that you always got all the data you had, last time you was online, and can access them and easily upload them to your next computer, even if the previous computer was crashed.

Regarding the existing files on your crashed computer: in most (i guess 99%) cases, you can recover your files from the harddrive, if it is not the harddrive itself, that is crashed. Thats far over my skills, but ask a professional IT guy if he can connect you harddrive and recover your data.

Last time my motherboard and processer suddenly passes away (PC could only run the blue screen), my IT doctor took out my harddrive and loaded a few important files onto my USB stick.

That just confirmed the point of saving ALL important data on the Dropbox.

And that's about all I know about IT - hope it will help you out.

Regarding to the issue LO23, Charlie and you just talk about - uploading pics and vids in a database, to be easier to find and access for the forum (and yes, that would be a great help, as it can take hours or days to refind a certain picture from this long thread), Dropbox could be a solution, as the members can share a folder there.

But I think that requires that the members exchange email adresses in public, and to give every member access to upload files, they also got access to download, change or delete other data in the folder.

I will ask around if there is a database solution, more suitable for a public forum. I thought maybe sites like Photobucket og Pinterest got such function, but I have no experience with them.

TheDane

Last edited by TheDane; 05-29-2017 at 06:22 PM.
TheDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #4615
Liteweight
VIP Member

Found another pic of that elusive Shoe Polish on the door. It's a bit hard to make out in places but it is very evident of what it says once you know what it is supposed to say, yes???

THE Dent.
To be noted is the strange area where the majority of the hit took place. It doesn't look like it was hit by another vehicle or went sidewise hitting a post because the dent diminishes the closer it gets to the wheel well opening. The majority of the dent is on the strongest part of the quarter which is at the upper edge. It looks like something very heavy may have fallen on it??

The "repaired" Dent

sure would like to see more pics on this one or get more info on it. Considering how close that color of silver is compared to the 1968 color, and that it is wearing the same front wheels and tires as the pic of it in bare metal, which were street tires BTW, has me almost convinced this is also the same car

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 05-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #4616
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

You really should dust that car more often! lol

And......the yellow tint on the window? Odd no one remembers that.......... yet.

Last edited by Charlie A; 05-30-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #4617
Liteweight
VIP Member

Awesome video Clint. Not too often does an HemiDart get out to play while there is snow around. sounds great!!!!

OK Lets try this. I'm starting to technically advance due to some peer pressure goin' on here....lol. I will look into this more. I tried loading this video into my photobucket page but it may have been too large for the amount of storage space I have left there. So I started a Flickr account. Thanxs for the incentive guys to take me out of my comfort zone.....lol

liteweight

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151267...posted-public/

unfortunately the exhaust noise level at the tailpipes overcame the value of my phone speaker capability

Last edited by Liteweight; 05-30-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #4618
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

That shaking front bumper says enough!
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #4619
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Loved your video, too! Man, I wish my car was in the condition yours was in. What a car!
LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #4620
TheDane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
sure would like to see more pics on this one or get more info on it. Considering how close that color of silver is compared to the 1968 color, and that it is wearing the same front wheels and tires as the pic of it in bare metal, which were street tires BTW, has me almost convinced this is also the same car

liteweight
I can track it back to "HTHarry427", who took the picture op National Speedway in the early 70's, when he was 12, but dont know anything else about the car.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...postcount=3045

(Notice; In the following posts, is a guy who claim he can read a lettering on the front fender, saying "LAB Machines", but even the fotographer, who got the original photo, cant read it, and no matter how much I zoom, I cant read it too.)

I remember there has been posted another picture, here in this thread, with an LO23 wearing pretty much exactly the same paint sheme, just red on silver in stead of black on silver.

Has anyone identyfied that car, or tracked the picture?

Does this color combination match what the guy who painten your car white (before Tim Henderson restored it) descriped for you?

TheDane
TheDane is offline   Reply With Quote