HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
tango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1961 Safari wagon

Hello All.
I am new to this web site. I am looking for some information and would love to know more about your group. I recently purchased a 1961 Pontiac Safari wagon that was campaigned by Frank Lumley and Ron Sanders during the 60's and 70's. This car broke 5 NHRA records, the first being at Cecil in 1968.

I want to learn more about this car and preserve it and its history. I would like to race it this year. It ran at Atco, Maple Grove, cecil and many other east coast tracks.

Any one have any information. I have pictures and some background, You an check it out here.

http://www.wwgauctions.com/auctions/...cleID=36&id=32

Thanks for any help you can give.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: 1961 Safari wagon

I remember that car very well Ron raced the Stock/ Super Stock races every week at Cecil.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: 1961 Safari wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
Hello All.
I am new to this web site. I am looking for some information and would love to know more about your group. I recently purchased a 1961 Pontiac Safari wagon that was campaigned by Frank Lumley and Ron Sanders during the 60's and 70's. This car broke 5 NHRA records, the first being at Cecil in 1968.

I want to learn more about this car and preserve it and its history. I would like to race it this year. It ran at Atco, Maple Grove, cecil and many other east coast tracks.

Any one have any information. I have pictures and some background, You an check it out here.

http://www.wwgauctions.com/auctions/...cleID=36&id=32

Thanks for any help you can give.
It was raced as a Super Duty combo until NHRA outlawed the over the counter parts very early in the 70's (McKeller solid lifter Cam, SD Heads, etc.) The it was raced as a regular 389/318 HP which was not very competitive after NHRA outlawed the SD parts. The car was a factory green color and had white painted stock steel wheels on it on all 4 corners. I knew Ron pretty good back during the SD days but have only spoke to him once since then and that was on the H.A.M.B. Jr. stock site via computer. He got into restoring Corvettes when he quit racing the wagon. If you can track him down he is a great guy to talk to.
P.S. The car was raced with a "SLIM JIM" 3 speed automatic at that time and not a turbo 350 that is supposed to be in the car now.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 02-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: 1961 Safari wagon

Hey Tango.....I'll give Ronnie a call and see if he wants to respond. I'm sure he will. If you plan to race it, you should know that the 318 h.p. motor is now factored to 275. It should make a killer O/SA combo. But maybe you could run it in N/SA. That way you'll leave my buddy Bobby Bender alone!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
thrash7781

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

i raced with scott tiemann for about 20 years. if he did the motor in your car rest very easy at night. he always knew what he was doing with pontiac's. everyone of the car's from his shop flew at the dragstrip and everyone of them have always been show quality also. i love your car.
thrash7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 1961 Safari wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Himes View Post
Hey Tango.....I'll give Ronnie a call and see if he wants to respond. I'm sure he will. If you plan to race it, you should know that the 318 h.p. motor is now factored to 275. It should make a killer O/SA combo. But maybe you could run it in N/SA. That way you'll leave my buddy Bobby Bender alone!
Hey....Now that it is 275 HP it should be a pretty good combo and that Turbo 350 would be a legal replacement trans. Thanks for mentioning that Don. Please tell Ron I said hello.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Hey....Now that it is 275 HP it should be a pretty good combo and that Turbo 350 would be a legal replacement trans. Thanks for mentioning that Don. Please tell Ron I said hello.
Yeah, but you'll need a 65 , 389 block or a 64 from a GTO ,with the starter bolt holes.

That car has a 455 in it now. It went through a couple of owners out here before going back East.
I see somebody snagged the 66 Tri-Power off of it before the auction... I'm pretty sure I know who it was.
Doesn't matter ...It's not usable in this application..
Maybe you'll hear from Bob Michael. He knows all about the 318 hp combination. He'll help you out, with no B.S.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley

One of the best sources of Pontiac information happens to be local right here in the Philadelphia area and is a very good friend of Ron Sanders.
Phil Szupka is a Pontiac Encyclopedia. He and his son still race in Stock and Comp. Eliminator. He can help you with any questions you have.
PM me and I will give you his contact information.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Ron Sanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Tango:
Congradulations on buying my old Pontiac S/W.

If you have 1/100 the fun with it that I had you will be way ahead.
I received a email today from the guy (Bill Shurla) I bought it from in 1968 telling me it was sold and telling me about this forum.
I built and drove it many years and in many NHRA classes.
It was bought it in Boston, it was built in Upper Darby, Pa. and raced out of Brookhaven, Pa.
I am now SCCA road racing Corvettes with my son. I am crew chief, spotter and Gofor.

I still have lots of info about it. I gave a lot of info to the person that I sold the car to but don't know what he has passed along to you.

I would be glad to help you with anything I can.

Bob Bender: Thanks for remembering me.
Yes, we had a lot of good times racing at Cecil County. I have seen your race car at The Keystone Nationals and The Dutch Classic but could never could locate you.
Hope we meet up in person some day.

X TEC MAN:
Sorry, I don't know who you are but "Hello" to you too.

Ron Sanders
Ron Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
mopar jeff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool car. Enjoy.
mopar jeff is offline   Reply With Quote