HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Where would you start over?

Many think NHRA drag racing for sportsman classes has come too far. Technology and MONEY are making it a sport of kings not of the new kids, the less financially superior. Many times pure stock, Modified, Crate motor, Spec motor ideas are seen in the discussions. If we step back and look at where class racing started, how the rules had gaps, the major advantages of basic and cheap, where should we restart?
Open to all kinds of thoughts which could open the doors to new people, young people, old racers who cannot afford the massive costs of a Factory hot rod.
1.------------

Thanks for reading and thinking.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Super Wedge Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Where would you start over?

Great thought Dick ... I would like to see something along the line of the NSS type class opened up to include cars up to 1974 being able to compete ... After 33 years of not competing ... back in 08 I got re-infected & bought a NSS car to get back out ...thought I did all research necessary as to type of car ...Arranged trailer ...Had tow vehicle ... missed one kinda important thing ... I live in Phoenix area and we didn't have but 2 races a year out here soon to be none ... I have no interest in running National events but would run at one day events within a 100 mile tow... Would run off 2/10 per class index with fastest being 10.00 to slowest being 12.00 ... all runs would be with run out in play to keep everything honest ... Seems like that would very cost effective/efficient way to get out and have fun ... Having fun being the key word...
Super Wedge Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Super Wedge Joe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Where would you start over?

Typo correction ... Slowest class should be 13.00 ... Also would keep rules similar to current stock ... Being a Mopar car guy will use them as example... Dusters/Demons allowed small block only ... no big blocks or hemis ... 68-69 Darts/Cudas allowed any combo ... 70-74 Cudas/Challengers any combo ... Motor combo would be based on what ever was ava. during that model life cycle ... Strokers allowed along with off the shelf alum. intakes ... No sheet metal or tunnel rams ... Tires limited to 9 or 10 inch max. ... This is my suggestion and just the beginning of ideas ...
Super Wedge Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

The only way to reignite any sort of interest in S/SS , Mod/Comp racing has to come from individual race track owners who will open their tracks and or work with local associations (e.g. East Coast S/SS Assoc. for example). Don't wait for the bright bulbs in Glendora to breathe any life into sportsman class racing. Times have changed, maybe the days of class racing by hands on racers has gone the way of the dinosaur.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Dick Butler
VIP Member

keep it tightly limited. One body style, one motor, one trans, stock rules or tighter. one cam, one carb
Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Progress to go fast is easier now than from the 50's thru the 80's. The factory super cars are a good example. They went from being in stock to having their own race category within several years. If you have the $, then it is an exciting place to be. A liberal index class,to me. seems the right course.13.00 to 10.00 in .5 intervals, or something like that. Relax a few rules like fuel, carb and maybe intake. I've seen some experimenting in some of the divisions running an 11.5 index. Qualify and race the same day. Golf was a big hit in the 90's and early 2000. Its hard for most working guys to play 18 holes on any given day. Many courses now have a 3 hole package to get that"sportsman golfer" back to the course and not having to commit to a full 18. N.E. Index Racing, can be found on facebook, in Div. 1 is growing. I think that their circuit has doubled in races and locations for 2018. Its also easier for spectators to see 2 car launch at the same time and race to the finish line. Spectators can move a format. Whether you like it or not, "Pinks All Out" revitalized drag racing. It started in 2006 and look where it gone with "Street Outlaws" and all its spin offs. Its a big hit. More fans watch it on TV than NHRA national events. They come out and support their favorite racers. In the 60-70's spectators would wear tee shirt with their favorite local racer. It happened then and it can happen again for stock and super stock. Waiting for a big bureaucracy to get out of its own way never or rarely happens.I'm surprised how vibrant NMCA has remained. Pull the sportsman classes from NHRA control and let the racers do their own thing. There are more dirt/oval race tracks than drag strips. The $ is better and so are the fans.There has to be a push before the end comes or when we get to old to race.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Dick Butler
VIP Member

No Dial ins only one class to start.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Index with a few parts changed, agreed? In order to make it successful there has to be some hook to get either manufactures, Holley/Edelbrock, or distributors,Summit/Jegs, to throw some cash around. Do you make it exclusive to NHRA or NMCA or that its is so universal that any organization will accept it w/o any changes?
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote