HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Gregg Teel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1971 AHRA Winternationals Bee Line Dragway

Here is a youtube link for about 11 mins of some old footage from the 1971 AHRA event at Bee Line Dragway in Phoenix. This was shot by my uncle and I recently converted his reel to dvd. It has my dad's 67 Fairlane on it some and a few others that I recognize. Not sure on a few of the other cars. Feel free to comment on any you are familiar with.

Thanks,
Gregg
Gregg Teel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: 1971 AHRA Winternationals Bee Line Dragway

Where did all of the cool car names go? Last car I will own will be another 51 Henry J called the War Baby for my dad.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Pat Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didn't see my old 62 Falcon......we were there running H/S formula 4. 170 cubic inches of axle snappin six cylinder torque.
Pat Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: 1971 AHRA Winternationals Bee Line Dragway

Very cool footage,,,and possibly historic also. I really like the peak at Garlit's first rear engined car. My memory is probably wrong,,but I'm thinking the AHRA race in Phoenix always was before Pomona, so I'm thinking this movie shows the first west coast appearance of Big Daddy's new Swamp Rat. Also loved the Pro Stock portion of the film with Sox and Martin Duster, Dyno's Maverick, Fred Gibb camaro and so on.
Thanks for sharing this.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
6t5frlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Teel View Post
Here is a youtube link for about 11 mins of some old footage from the 1971 AHRA event at Bee Line Dragway in Phoenix. This was shot by my uncle and I recently converted his reel to dvd. It has my dad's 67 Fairlane on it some and a few others that I recognize. Not sure on a few of the other cars. Feel free to comment on any you are familiar with.

Thanks,
Gregg
Thanks for posting. About the 1:41 mark is the Top Cat Couger. Raced out of LA ,O'Connor L/M. Originaly driven by Darrell Droke ( T-Bolt fame ) but by 71 he may not have been the shoe
6t5frlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
pauldilcher

Liked 53 Times in 9 Posts

I remember that plane well , that guy had big ones . Danny you are right , Phoenix first .
pauldilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts

Well, this is another 10 year old thread.

I watched a little of the video. Then out to the side I saw some other drag racing videos. After watching part of one, I noticed one from Indy 1963. Thought I might see some old Pontiacs run. I especially wanted to see the All-Pontiac B/FX class final.

Well they didn't show it.

But they did show the A/S final & the A/SA final. For anyone interested, A/SA begins at about the 2:00 minute mark, followed immediately by the A/S final. Seeing still pics & reading about those old cars is OK. But it's really cool seeing video, with sound, of the cars blasting off down the track.

oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote