HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
ZachR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer

I have been racing for many years and have always wanted to race in stock or super stock, and I have finally decided to go for it, but I have some questions. Where do I need to start to get going? After I get a car (since mine is a local bracket car), how do i get a license? Can I just register for a divisional event? How many races do you need to get into a national event? How much does it cost to enter?

I have a bunch more, but don't want to just make a huge list of questions on here. Does anyone have any webistes that have information about all of this?

Thanks in advance!
ZachR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer

I can get you started just a little bit. This information may in some cases be different in Super Stock or the faster classes in stock. I'm running in N/SA.

There's no special license needed and you just enter a divisional at the track, no pre-entry required. For national events you have to have enough grade points to get in under the quota before it fills up. You get one grade point for each divisional or national open. They use the higher of you GPs from last year or the current year.

You can find a lot of this on nhraracer.com.

A divisional entry fee is $170 as I recall. Others can give you more info and correct anything I got wrong, I'm still pretty new to this myself
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

All good questions. Do some advance planning concerning what class you would desire to run and things like affordability, availability of parts, required maintenance and how hard you want to chase it. No licence is required if you run slower than 9.99 et in the quarter and you may just show up to run a divisional or open. You need about 4 or 5 grade points to enter a Nat., unless your lucky and someone pulls out last minute. It's like 240.00 + 120.00 insurance fee for a Nat.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
ZachR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The car will probably be in the 10 second range. How often are you torn down? Not asking for "suspicious" reasons, mainly for the hastle of it.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Tear downs aren't done as often as they once were, mainly only at US Nats. I'm not sure if you're looking at converting your current car to a Stocker, but choose carefully before you take the plunge. Many are often further ahead if they just buy a proven car from the get-go.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
ZachR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
Tear downs aren't done as often as they once were, mainly only at US Nats. I'm not sure if you're looking at converting your current car to a Stocker, but choose carefully before you take the plunge. Many are often further ahead if they just buy a proven car from the get-go.
I will be buying a car, the one I have now is FAR from legal in either class.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
nickh

Liked 219 Times in 96 Posts

Zach There is a J/SA Pontiac in classifieds that has a hurt motor to what extent I don't know but the car has been around and proven. Not sure what your budget is, check the classifieds here often and folks are putting proven combo's on there.
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachR View Post
I will be buying a car, the one I have now is FAR from legal in either class.
Did you win the LOTTERY ?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Before you start you have to contact the NHRA and get a permanent number and membership. You'll get a permanent number card which will also serve as "license" of sorts. Your permanent number and class must be applied to the car with paint or stickers (no shoe polish).

When you enter your first divisional you'll be teched and all your safety equipment will be checked (belts, clothing, etc.). Get a rule book.

You'll only get torn down if you set a record or you're protested. Teardowns are random at Indy. Of course, there is always a threat of any unannounced teardown at any event but that rarely occurs.

Good luck.