Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Unhappy Why Do They Keep Doing This?

I wrote this in response to a question in another thread.

I think it was a poor idea to put the D2 Turkey Trot Winter race on top of another NHRA tracks (Orlando) major race which offered a S/SS combo. Orlando's Night of Fire race is an every year event. The S/SS portion of the race has been planned and published on the internet etc. for over six months. NHRA has been covering the IHRA's race in West Palm Beach with a Winter Race at SGMP for four years which has resulted in low car counts at both races.
It just seems to me they love to "cover" other Association's races which is bad for all. I sort of thought this would stop when D2 got it's new DD. He either has no say as to the dates of the races in D2 or he is clueless as to what is going on in D2. We (SSSSA) decided to back out of the Orlando race so our racers could run the NHRA Winter Race at Gainesville. It would be silly to think we could compete with the NHRA (which has never been our plan) but when the new D2 Director came on board he pledged cooperation with all, including the IHRA.

Mike Beards Class Nationals Sportsman race could be a great success, but then NHRA decides to hold a double points race in Atlanta the same weekend. They tried the same thing in Atlanta last year and it was a flop for NHRA. Why would you do it again and be this time be assured it will have even lower car counts than the year before by covering a big pre-planned Sportsman event within driving distance? This sport will not survive an inter-association war. It's hanging on by it's finger nails as it is. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Why Do They Keep Doing This?

The Atlanta LODRS double will likely lose more cars to the Class Nationals than vice versa.

I've heard that Div. 1 was scheduling a National Open at Atco on top of us, too. It would make more sense to have it the week before, on top of the Indy LODRS. There were only two Div. 1 cars at the Indy LODRS this year.

Dedicated Stock and Super Stock race with a much higher payout, massive amount of sponsors, Class Eliminations, Quick 32 CIC races, Junior Stock Shootout, a Combo and a regular Eliminator for each class, with live video coverage... all at an NHRA-owned facility. It's in their interest for the race to be successful, as it's guaranteed money for them.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Steve Szupka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike, If D1 puts the Atco Open the same weekend as the Class Nationals we will STILL drive the 9 hours to Columbus instead of the 40 min to Atco for the Open. We want to support the Class Nationals.
Steve Szupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Michael Beard
VIP Member

The Div. 1 office called, and we talked at length about scheduling and events in general. There's just not another good spot for Atco's Open at this point due to the track's own event schedule, spring weather issues with pollen, and where Easter falls on the calendar this particular year. They've invited us to talk at the end of this year to work together on scheduling for 2015. I've always liked the Div. 1 staff, and appreciated the call. I got a chance to work with the guys maaany, many years ago when I developed the NHRA Div. 1 website before NHRA corporate took it over.

Not every racer on the planet will be at the Class Nationals (just most of them) It's not a bad thing for the racers who stay more local to have options. Yes, it'd be nice for it to be an even easier decision for our customers to make, but we will have a landmark event regardless.

That being said, we're getting to that point in the season where people will be looking at schedules. There are a TON of different association races/series out there, in addition to the regular gamut of NHRA/IHRA Nat'l/Div'l events. It's just my opinion, but I think it would do some good to get the heads of all the associations together to talk out some of the scheduling. For instance, I noticed two dates this year where two associations in the same region had races on the same weekend. Would it be beneficial to do a challenge race? ie., pick one of the dates where everyone travels down to the one association, and then on the other conflicting date, everyone travels up to the other association. You end up with twice as many cars and can support a much bigger purse.

Personally, I'd rather see a fair number of $2K S/SS races than a ton of $1K races all scheduled on top of each other.

Next year will be a big milestone year for the Lee Sherman Memorial S/SS race. I think there's an opportunity to make this even more of a destination race than what it already is.

\end random thoughts
Old 11-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Next year will be a big milestone year for the Lee Sherman Memorial S/SS race. I think there's an opportunity to make this even more of a destination race than what it already is.

\end random thoughts
I hope you're right, Michael. We've had over seventy cars (total weekend count) for that race two of the last three years. This year we paid $2,500 Win, $1,300 R/U, 500 semis, 200 1/4's and 100 third round, for a $100 entry (and that was with 'only' fifty-seven cars making first round). I think it was the second biggest paying S/SS race in the country this year (only the well sponsored $5K race in Bowling Green paid more).
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
I hope you're right, Michael. We've had over seventy cars (total weekend count) for that race two of the last three years. This year we paid $2,500 Win, $1,300 R/U, 500 semis, 200 1/4's and 100 third round, for a $100 entry (and that was with 'only' fifty-seven cars making first round). I think it was the second biggest paying S/SS race in the country this year (only the well sponsored $5K race in Bowling Green paid more).
Numidia NitroPlate S/SS Shootout paid $3K.

Not my race, but since you've gotten established consistent support now, my suggestion would be to set an advertised purse for the race this year, set a schedule with whatever bonus or special event stuff you want to do, solidify the format (qualifying/ladders, etc.) then chase sponsors. I'll help with flyers. Get the word out early and often.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post

Mike Beards Class Nationals Sportsman race could be a great success, but then NHRA decides to hold a double points race in Atlanta the same weekend. They tried the same thing in Atlanta last year and it was a flop for NHRA. Why would you do it again and be this time be assured it will have even lower car counts than the year before by covering a big pre-planned Sportsman event within driving distance?

I agree that it will have lower car counts,but for those that chase the points,this double points race in Atlanta will be a key race to attend.These are two races that probably will not have that many cars.All the hitters will probably be at the Class Nationals,so it could have serious points consequences in deciding next year's NHRA World Championship.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Gary Smith

Liked 125 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442OLDS View Post
I agree that it will have lower car counts,but for those that chase the points,this double points race in Atlanta will be a key race to attend.These are two races that probably will not have that many cars.All the hitters will probably be at the Class Nationals,so it could have serious points consequences in deciding next year's NHRA World Championship.
Could this be where years of NHRA treating sportsman racers as bottom feeders finally catches up to them?? Perhaps this will be the weekend that determines who's the real bottom feeder....the racers....or the series. I know they've been making efforts to improve, but this kind of posturing once again proves their arrogance. And just like the 21 yr old son or daughter who lacked attention from there father, they've usually given up long before he starts to care.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,681 Times in 396 Posts

Sorry Mike I think the atco open has been around a little longer than your race.
You cant be worried about this .Your race will be the best option ..for you guys that live in D-2..that is oh don't forget PURE STOCK ..lol....Do you get a grade point at your race..didn't think so..
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Every race has been around longer than Northern Class Nationals, as the inaugural race isn't until May 2-4, 2014... The Atco Open was scheduled the last week of April this year, the same as the Indy LODRS. We chose the best date available and announced it 14 months ahead of time. -=shrug=- Sometimes schedules shuffle. No, I'm not worried about it, because we unquestionably have the best program in the country.

Grade points aren't very relevant these days unless you're brand new to class racing, or coming out of a long retirement. I've gotten into Indy with a grade 1, earned just days before the event before. Anybody that raced much at all last year already has all the grade points they need.

You lettin' Fetch borrow the Nova to come down to Piedmont Thanksgiving weekend to run for $20K? He's a money-making machine at that race!