HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Wayne Scraba

Liked 147 Times in 42 Posts
Smile My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

If this post isn't appropriate, please delete....

This is my personal fun car; a 1970 Nova that I'm building as a sleeper. I've had a bunch of Novas over the years and this is my favourite. There's nothing here that's earth shattering, but you might find it interesting. Instead of documenting the build with photos, I've decided to video it and store on YouTube under "Lone Wolf Hot Rods" (my Shilo Shepherd Teddy is the Lone Wolf, but that's another story). Anyway, here are a few videos you might find interesting on the build. The first one is an introduction to the project:

The next video is an update on the car. It just shows what I've done over the last few weeks.

And finally, this video is on a cheap ($26) ball joint tool from Howe Racing. I don't have a $$$ dog in the fight (don't even know the folks at Howe Racing), but man, after beating up on pickle forks with a huge-X- large blacksmith hammer trying split them cleanly or making some all-thread work, this thing is amazing (watch it pop the ball joint out of the spindle...Yikes!):

Thanks for the space Class Racer!

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 08-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Wayne Scraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

What a sweet 6 Nova, I'd drive it just like that myself.

I'll follow along on your build journey Wayne.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Wayne Scraba

Talking Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hayes View Post
What a sweet 6 Nova, I'd drive it just like that myself.
You wouldn't have wanted to drive it far...L-O-L. The thing was pathetic from a performance perspective. Of course, when I tore it apart I discovered the brakes were dragging. I never drove it far or very fast (took a long, long time to get up to "warp speed".... ). Appears someone in the past used general purpose grease when they repacked the wheel bearings, amongst (numerous) other things. But boy, the body -- top and bottom, paint, interior, trunk and engine compartment are really nice!

WS
Old 09-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Thank you Wayne Scarba for posting this great build, this can be useful for anyone looking at building a great safe car. Since 1968 to 72 Nova have gone through the roof, I'm looking more at the 74 to 79 model, even thinking of the four door, I've owned a COPO Nova (Police package (all Police cars from California were COPO's) a great car and though with it's F41 suspension package with big Impala brakes.Wayne Scarba if some of you don't know him is one of the elite automotive writer in the business.Thank you Wayne. Claude Ruel.

Last edited by cicero819; 09-01-2019 at 08:39 AM.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Wayne Scraba

Your way too kind Claude! If I was looking for another, I'd be all over Craigslist. FYI, "searchtempest.com" does a lot of the footwork for ya!

Thanks again...

Wayne Scraba

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 09-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Wayne Scraba

Talking What A Mess! :)

What a Mess! This week I'm cutting, bending and flaring front stainless brake lines. I'll include a video of my progress later this week (or maybe next....L-O-L). Here's a preview, which happens to showcase the level of my plumbing chaos:

The Earl's Pro Flaring Tool absolutely Rocks!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Wayne Scraba

Thumbs up Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

My plumbing mess is finally cleaned up....L-O-L. Here's a quick look at the finished stainless hard line. If you follow the video to the end, you'll get a look and a description of the tools I use along with a few tips I've picked after working with stainless lines for the past couple of decades. You might find it interesting! Thanks for watching!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Wayne Scraba

Here's a new update on the Slo Poke Nova build. This is part 4 of the build and if you watch to the end, you'll see a couple of the surprises I found in the car🤣. These were some of the milder examples....L-O-L. Fortunately, all thus far have been mechanical mistakes by someone in the past. Anyway, check it out....and hey, Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. Costs nothing and it won't plug your mailbox with spam either!
😄
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
jims5600

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

Just subscribed to your videos. Great videos,very informative. You work is very,very nice. Look forward in following your progress. Best of luck.
Jimmy
jims5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
Wayne Scraba

Thumbs up Re: My 1970 Slow Poke Nova Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims5600 View Post
Just subscribed to your videos. Great videos,very informative. You work is very,very nice. Look forward in following your progress. Best of luck.
Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy! I really appreciate the compliment. I'm on a tight budget, so I have to go slow...