HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
65Shoebox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Ladder Bars / Afco Dbl Adj Coilovers HELP!

Hello all.

Just got my Chevy II back from the chassis shop for a back-half. Ladder bars and Afco double adjustables.

I have the bars in the middle hole as a starting point. What should I do with the shocks? I assume the top knob adjusts the compression while the bottom knob on the shaft does the rebound. Is this correct?

Should I just count the total number of clicks and start in the middle on both top and bottom?

Car weighs 3025 and ran bottom 10s with 1.4X 60 ft on leafs and Cal Tracs previously.

Thanks for any advice.
65Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Ladder Bars / Afco Dbl Adj Coilovers HELP!

Don't know if this helps, but with my 64 I have the bars in the bottom hole and the shocks set at 7 clicks for compression. Don't have double adjustable..
Your best setting will come with testing and adjusting with air in the tires and shocks.The ladder bars will help the car hit harder or softer...............
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
65Shoebox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That helps a lot Bob. Thanks.

Do you find yourself adjusting the bars much for track conditions, or mostly air pressure and shock? Seems like you woudl simply find the right "hit" and set it there but I am just not sure.
65Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Ladder bars uaually only work in one position. The bar must have a downward angle in relationship to the rockerpanel on the car. Put a protractor on the rocker panel and check the angle then put the protractor on the lower bar of the ladder bar. It should be about 2 degrees down from the rocker. start there with a loose shock setting. Good track tight shock setting bad track loose shock setting. I rarely adjust anything on the back of my car. the bars should not need any preload. The rear must be perfectly square in the car. You will need to check this closely. If the rear is not square it will act badly. Good Luck!!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

Go with your bars in the middle to start. Don't use any pre-load adj. your shocks if the right rear is to violent. With double adj. I would start 3 to 4 clicks from soft when the shock pulls apart and start with 6 clicks for the shocks trying to come back together. This way you plant the tire and keep it there to launch the car.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
tigwiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First you should call the chassis shop where your car was built.....
f they dont know that you should be looking for a different shop that know what they are doing.
I for one would set that up for you before it left my shop and would travl to the track and help with any adjustments until it was good to go.
With tha said, set everthing in the middle and go from there.......
tigwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Shoebox View Post
That helps a lot Bob. Thanks.

Do you find yourself adjusting the bars much for track conditions, or mostly air pressure and shock? Seems like you woudl simply find the right "hit" and set it there but I am just not sure.
Sorry it took so long too reply, With the racing I do (Div mostly) the tracks are usually prepped about the same so there's no need to change anything. I also do have a little pre load in the right rear...........seems to work on my car !
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote