HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racing Events > Events
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts
Default It's your fault Jim Woods for bringing the fun back into class racing!

Jim,

After my last race in Bradenton in March where I could not get down the track in two attempts I had decided that I quess I couldn't do this any more so I would quit racing and just take my car to shows. I had only raced in competition twice since Oct 1999 and both times lost in the first round. I was ok with not racing any more until Jim's post about the Stock/Super Stock race in Lakeland. I started thinking this might be fun. Little did I know how much fun it would be! The last time I had this much fun at a drag race was April 1974 when I set the SS/GA record. What a difference it makes when you go to a race and you are treated like a racer. The last NHRA Gatornationals I raced at I was pitted outside the gate and by the time I got to staging my car was hot. They finally ran us at night when the dew was coming in and I spun bad off the line to lose. I had given up the idea of class racing and just parked it for a few years. I was opening my shop in Port Richey so I decided to paint my car close to the way it was raced in the 70's and go to car shows to promote my shop. Everybody would always ask when did you race it last? I was ok not racing until Jim came along. Now I feel like I'm 25 again and can't wait until the next Stock/Super Stock race.
I really want to thank you
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Jim Woods

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: It's your fault Jim Woods for bringing the fun back into class racing!

thank you rusty, i started racing in the late 60's and back then s/ss were the kings and everyone went to the local track to see these cars and it was a blast.class racing actually meant something .I salute all of you who have endured the rule changes and costs of class racing over the years. I know many oldies bands that want to join us if we can put together a weekend event and again thank you to everyone for making this a success and we are scheduling many more., jim
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: It's your fault Jim Woods for bringing the fun back into class racing!

Wow! Rusty Gillis! I was so happy to see you came to the Lakeland race. You are one of my all time racing heros, no kidding! I wish I could have spoken with you, I spent a lot of time in the truck with the A/C on. I have gotten at least a dozen emails and calls saying they had the best time they have had in a long time at the race. This is what it is all about. The fun factor is back in a big way! It can only get better, if the racers support it. But that is the key. If you racers want to have a great time racing again, the way it used to be, come to our next race! We will be announcing our next race soon. Stay tuned. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
TOM WARD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: It's your fault Jim Woods for bringing the fun back into class racing!

Jim
I to would like to thank you and tell you what a great time I had at the first race of the S/SS combo. Next to my children being born and winning the GATORS in 1984 this is the best thing to come along since the late 1950's when i first started to drag race. It was great talking to Rusty and to all of the other people I hadn't seen for a long time. Looking forward to the next race.
Tom
Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Sean Ward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Ward

I am honered that i got to race against all the people that used to change my dipaers. All of you were my heros while i was growing up at the race track and i think it is just great that i get the chance to race with all you guys.Once again i had a great time and can't wait for the next one.
Sean Ward NHRA s/ss/comp#2882
SW4 MOTORSPORTS
Sean Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts

I'm beginning to think I'm a pest with all my posts, but I can't help the fact I had as much fun as I did. Like Sean said, it was great racing with my heroes too. My driving was awful, most likely because I planned on my car to be scooped up with a shovel after the first pass. But it ran rather well considering the junk motor. Seeing Rusty again was great, and even a bigger honor when he came over to my car and chatted with me!! Also, Jay Slane was a real pleasure to meet. None too many nicer than him. Come to think of it, I couldn't find anyone who was't pleasant.

On a bittersweet note, it is difficult knowing my father left this world last fall, who was a closet minded class racer. He always thought of "what if" and his '65 Mustang, but constantly vocalizing to me "how expensive Stock and Super Stock are". He thought I'd lost my mind when I started putting together my little notchback. After this event, I'm now giving second thoughts to nostalgia racing with his car. My mind and heart have always been with Stock, SS, and Modified. With this deal it might give me a chance to live my dad's dream too. I swore on his grave nobody would touch his Mustang besides me or my son. And I'm not totally attached to the stocker. So who knows what the future holds.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Smitty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gary,

I know what you mean, I lived near alot of legendary class racers back home. I didn't fully understand class racing until probably the last ten years. When I bought my car the owner told me the same thing that I was crazy for trying to race in Super Stock. Well, with the help of some good people like John Douglas and Rebel Kidd I am about to realize my dream. Jim thanls for your vision because it's giving me an affordable place to race.
Everyone I met this weekend was real pleasant, class racers are the coolest racers on the planet.
I think I am gonna blowup that photo of me and Big Jim, I think we were the two biggest class racers in attendance.

Looking forward to the next race guys.

Smitty
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

I must admit, 10 years ago I was sitting in the stands at the Gators and I had a dream about racing there. Thats not unusual, as many fans have had a similar dream. My dream however was not to be cargo in a Top Fuel car, or manhandle a pro stocker, although nothing could top the opportunity to drive Allen Johnsons Stratus. I wanted to be in the mix with all of you guys. At the time I was racing my Belvedere at our local track and dreaming of competing with the "pro's", you guys.

I have never participated in the first class competition, I've only ever known two class racers, the Simpsons. Those two are two of the greatest people that walk this Earth. I have always looked up to them and what they have and do. Now I meet all of you and low and behold, ther'es more out there! Since Sunday I have built no less than 4 different Mopars in my head to go class racing. Fortunately I'm not wealthy!

My eyes were opened even wider after leaving this event. I've always appreciated a fast car, whether it be a Mopar, GM, or Ford. But to see a big honking Olds Cutlass hanging the hoops impresses the heck out of me. Seeing a gentleman over 50 driving a late model fuel injected car and not bad mouthing technology, again eye opening and refreshing. You guys are the equivalent of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, always heard you guys existed, but never found you all, until now. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
reddnova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My name is Bart Johnson and I live in Kingsport Tn. I am trying to locate my old friend and racing buddy Jim Woods, (The Tanker). I would appreciate it if you have a phone no. for him to contact me at bjpj422@charter.net or call me at home 423-246-1998 or cell 423-742-0422. I have lost contact with Jim since I moved out of Florida. Thanks, Bart (Bartman) Johnson
reddnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Paul Dilcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RUSTY , be careful what you say about Big Jim, he might get a big head . lol