Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Banned

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Cal Trac Questions

So now that I have added a RWD car to the stable I have to relearn a lot of things. The Cal Trac bars have come about since I last ran my SS Demon and I am not familiar with the adjustments that need to be made and why they need to be made. The car is a Plymouth Volare small block Stocker (F body) and has to weigh right at 3500 lbs.(X-Widuch/Bennett car) It also has the Rancho adjustable shocks. I am sure George has gotten them sorted out but I want to understand how they work. Most of you guys have been running them for years and could adjust them in your sleep. What do I look for and what are the tricks to successfully running them? I can't seem to find any info on exactly what the upper and lower front adjustment holes are for. Help, please! Jim

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 07-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Cal Trac Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
So now that I have added a RWD car to the stable I have to relearn a lot of things. The Cal Trac bars have come about since I last ran my SS Demon and I am not familiar with the adjustments that need to be made and why they need to be made. The car is a Plymouth Volare small block Stocker (F body) and has to weigh right at 3500 lbs.(X-Widuch/Bennett car) It also has the Rancho adjustable shocks. I am sure George has gotten them sorted out but I want to understand how they work. Most of you guys have been running them for years and could adjust them in your sleep. What do I look for and what are the tricks to successfully running them? I can't seem to find any info on exactly what the upper and lower front adjustment holes are for. Help, please! Jim
Jim,

I too acquired someone elses done car with caltracs. They get set up with the driver in the seat, and adjusted from there, but if you weigh around what the last owner did, then you likely are good to go. Just follow what they were doing RE Radials versus non-Radials and tire pressure, leave RPMS, and you should have comparable 60 foots. For educational purposes, if you search on the site and also download the directions from Calverts, you should get up to speed in minutes. For my dakota they work beyond belief, don't need to touch them. Not sure if others adjust them from time to time, I kind of doubt it.

Good luck with the Volare
Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The guys at Cal tracs are great and will answer any question and provide accurate advice. Do not hesitate to call them.
7820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Jim Wahl
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Cal Trac Questions

Thank you guys for the info, and thanks George Roussel for the phone call and the email! Jim

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 07-19-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Cal Trac Questions

That is one Killer Car, I can here Scotty Helms whining already! LOL. You should be #1 Qualifier every time out with that car. Maybe you ought to call the guys that built it. They definately had a good thing going.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Jim Wahl
Banned

Wink Re: Cal Trac Questions

Thanks James. I have spoken to George Widuch about almost everything but the Cal Tracs! I just thought there might be some tricks to them that isn't in writing somewhere. Your right though, Fat Boy Helms keeps trying to trade me his big yellow school bus! Jim

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 07-19-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Rusty Gillis

Liked 87 Times in 19 Posts

Jim,

I don't know about a Mopar but this is how my Mustang is set up. Race ready weight with me in the seat the bars were adjusted so they just touched the spring with no preload. I set them once and as long as the weight is the same haven't touched them.