HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Classifieds > Race Rigs/Equipment: Classifieds

Old 02-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
builderfox

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default need advise on a motorhome

I am looking at a 2008 Fleetwood providence with a cummins 8.3 litter 360 hp 1050 torque. will this pull a 32 foot triple axle trailer with a stocker and golf cart, and what about stopping the coach, it has a exhaust brake. this motorhome has drum brake on it all the way around. air over hyd. I like to set the cruise on the interstate and ride down the road about 70. It should be a lot better than a gas rig. Thanks for the help!!!
builderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts
Default Re: need advise on a motorhome

Linking the Fleetwood owners section of IRV, which is one of the most popular RV enthusiasts sites. Their search function is pretty good as well.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/

Frankly Fleetwood isn’t one of top brands (i.e. Newmar) but when you’re shopping older ones it’s all about the coach’s maintenance history. And of course the 8.3 Cummins has a great record. My only concern pulling that large of a trailer is if the coach has a rear rather than side radiator. Cooling can be an issue if in the rear and you’re hammering it pretty hard. You’ll be lucky to get 6 mpg pulling that weight. Hitch is likely rated for 10K so that could be something needing reinforcement. Braking should be no problem, engine brakes are great and you’ll have six brakes out back so should be plenty of whoa.

Last edited by jmcarter; 02-13-2019 at 07:48 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I wouldn't think you would have any issues at all. I pull a 28' trailer, stocker, golf cart etc with a 275 up Cummins, although it struggles a little bit on grades it still has plenty power for normal towing, I'm more of a 65 mph guy although a red light first round will tend to make me come home at 75 mph!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
1matcoman

Liked 275 Times in 109 Posts

bf, that coach should be plenty good enough for your needs as long as you know it will not be a jackrabbit at stop lights (notice I didn't say red-lights - a dirty word around these parts). And, as long as you keep the brakes on the trailer well maintained, you should have no braking issues there as well.

That '08 was a very well built unit for Fleetwood and the engine will not require DEF, so that's a positive.

Note this however, and I cannot stress this enough, to remember fresh tires on the unit. Just like your trailer, and I am sure you're well educated there, you'll need to keep your tires fresh all the time. 6 years on tires with the load you'll be experiencing is Grandpa aged. Always check the DOT date code and check them monthly for stress cracks and bulges.
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

The engine brake on our old Monaco is the best option ever! I would think that pulling would not be an issue. Not sure about the air over hydraulic. We have air brakes and they are awesome. I have heard a few complain that air over hydraulic isn’t as good, but have never tried it. One thing that we really love is having the 8.3 diesel and the diesel generator as well. When you are at a hot weather race, it is nice to be able to run the generator and air conditioner all weekend. Good point on the radiator. I would bet there is a way to help with that if it is a problem. We have a side radiator. There is an aux fan mounted and a manual switch for it from the factory. I have turned it on to make sure it works, but honestly, our coach never runs hot ever so we don’t use it.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 383 Times in 98 Posts
Cool Re: need advise on a motorhome

Be glad to give you my .02 cents if you'd like to give me a call.413 246 6608

Marc
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote