Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #31
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: FS/XX - SS/AH In Comp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
That's a step in the right direction.Maybe bring back some of the old Modified classes. Be nice seeing gassers, lower class M/P cars, etc. When I quit racing Stock in 2010 I had a few 4+ second handicaps F/S cars were in the mid 9's) it really got your attention when they came by you at the stripe at 60 mph.
The factory car killer, aka the Gremlin would hate to see those F/S leave stock....there is a full cage in the Gremlin now though.....Ed was living a bit dangerously.....

I think its actually the perfect idea. 10 years ago when the initial drag pak applications went out, running one in Comp was part of the idea.

If I had a new F/S car I'd want to do this, no more playing weather god to predict the dial, running people like myself in a god forsaken Gremlin that dials 13 something, just set the car up for kill, kill the tree and play the game downtrack.....whats not to like?

If you own a new FS car, you already have cubic $ into it, this gives you a additional playground to play in....With primo parking at National Events as a free bonus.

Re AH cars if adjusted it too would be a great place for them.

Eric
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: FS/XX - SS/AH In Comp ?

Stockers and Pro Mods in the same class. Should be fun!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #33
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

And, with the essentially non-existent tech/tear-down policy that's in current favor, keeping a lid on those cheating stockers won't be much a real problem. Why worry about the indexes when the only enforcement is a P&G? We'll have mid-seven second AH cars in no time. Could the FS cars run in the sixes?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #34
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norton View Post
And, with the essentially non-existent tech/tear-down policy that's in current favor, keeping a lid on those cheating stockers won't be much a real problem. Why worry about the indexes when the only enforcement is a P&G? We'll have mid-seven second AH cars in no time. Could the FS cars run in the sixes?
Think your in left field here. Just for starters: there are other Comp competitors other than AH and FS cars that are legal. When NHRA tech checks, they do more than P&G.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #35
Chuck Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Think your in left field here. Just for starters: there are other Comp competitors other than AH and FS cars that are legal. When NHRA tech checks, they do more than P&G.
My statement may have been unclear but, to restate it more specifically, the thorough teardown of a Stock Eliminator car takes at least ten times as long as is required to P&G a Super Mod or a Street Roadster. All FS cars running in Comp will need to be thoroughly inspected and qualifiers should be subjected to a full teardown. Current practice with regard to teardown is that it happens only a few times per year under the best of circumstances and that's not enough to keep everyone within the fences.

A thorough teardown requires the engine out of the car and the oil pan off. Crankshafts should be inspected, tops of pistons will need to be inspected, cylinder head chambers and runners need to be poured, casting numbers on cylinder heads and camshaft lift need to be verified, blower specifications confirmed, and throttle bores measured. All that is just the tip of the iceberg for making sure that any Stocker is legal. Even a run-of-the-mill Stock teardown involves all those things and more minus the removal of the oil pan. If there is not even at least a remote possibility that these variables will be subjected to inspection it won't be long before the FS cars will be capable of running more than a second under the proposed index and the only thing separating them from a thinly disguised Pro Mod will be the tires. If they get a big tire... I don't think that the Honor System will suffice!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #36
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: FS/XX - SS/AH In Comp ?

Quote:
My statement may have been unclear but, to restate it more specifically, the thorough teardown of a Stock Eliminator car takes at least ten times as long as is required to P&G a Super Mod or a Street Roadster. All FS cars running in Comp will need to be thoroughly inspected and qualifiers should be subjected to a full teardown. Current practice with regard to teardown is that it happens only a few times per year under the best of circumstances and that's not enough to keep everyone within the fences.

A thorough teardown requires the engine out of the car and the oil pan off. Crankshafts should be inspected, tops of pistons will need to be inspected, cylinder head chambers and runners need to be poured, casting numbers on cylinder heads and camshaft lift need to be verified, blower specifications confirmed, and throttle bores measured. All that is just the tip of the iceberg for making sure that any Stocker is legal. Even a run-of-the-mill Stock teardown involves all those things and more minus the removal of the oil pan. If there is not even at least a remote possibility that these variables will be subjected to inspection it won't be long before the FS cars will be capable of running more than a second under the proposed index and the only thing separating them from a thinly disguised Pro Mod will be the tires. If they get a big tire... I don't think that the Honor System will suffice!
You nailed it Chuck dead on the money !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #37
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:

The sad part of it is that it's not happening all that much in Stock either.

The sadder part is that they're probably more likely to get torndown in comp.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #38
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:

It's taken me a while to reconcile my opinion on the incorporation of these cars in to Comp. Specifically the rules (or lack of) for FS/XX, and the tech/teardown procedures needed for both of these classes. Both classes have been showcased in shootout formats for some time. Both classes have (in there own ways) exceeded the NHRA standardized practices for their accompanying Eliminators.

So I suppose bringing two more classes into Comp, with their current "Run What You Brung" formats should not burden the tech department too much. I could envision P&G, cam lift, throttle body, supercharger, and tires as the primary focus of tech for FS/SM. As for the Hemi cars? They are already Comp-style Super Modified Body/Chassis as it is. Need more counterweight? Just pull the dash and tunnel to get to the bellhousing access window. Except for pouring runner and chamber volumes how could you do any less than they currently do to their engines?

I can see where moving those two classes to Comp could possibly improve their respective Eliminators by slowing the rules "creep" that these classes foment.

Last edited by Tom Broome; 02-07-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Yep
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
Chuck Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Broome View Post
It's taken me a while to reconcile my opinion on the incorporation of these cars in to Comp. Specifically the rules (or lack of) for FS/XX, and the tech/teardown procedures needed for both of these classes. Both classes have been showcased in shootout formats for some time. Both classes have (in their own ways) exceeded the NHRA standardized practices for their accompanying Eliminators.
Water seeks its own level.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #40
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: FS/XX - SS/AH In Comp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgt mustang View Post
the sad part of it is that it's not happening all that much in stock either.

The sadder part is that they're probably more likely to get torndown in comp.
or not get torn down at all !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote