Default Re: SS/Comp Style Cobalt build

Colby… Cool Project. MB.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: SS/Comp Style Cobalt build

Colby,, my hat is off to you for taking on a project of this nature. Like Larry and his Super S-10 truck, you guys obviously have the talent, know-how and access to equipment to pull off these kind of builds.
I'm hoping, if you don't mind, to keep a running tab on this build,(I'm sure you are) and would be willing to let us know when you're done, what the costs are to a modern do-it-yourselfer who would consider doing a project like this, as opposed to cutting a check to one of the big name car builders across the country.
I love these Cobalts myself, and wish you well on the rest of your journey to get this car down the track,, you've gotten off to an awesome start. Take care.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The engine will be a 416" LS style motor. 6.0 iron block with modified LSA castings, super victor intake, dominator carb. Planning to make 750 Hp. I picked up an ATI Superglide and plan to run a 4.56 gear with 32x14x15 tires.
Below are some of the goodies I have already picked up.
Crank trigger and timing pointer. A lot of time went into finding these parts as they are not part of the late model EFI platform.

The plan to run a JESEL belt drive, which will also facilitate the front distributor eliminates the factory oil pump location.
That along with the low stance will make this a dry sump engine. There will be no clearance issues with this pan.

Peterson oil tank

This picture represents a lot of searching for solutions to the cooling system. LS engines water passages are much different than the traditional SBC/BBC combo. Aftermarket pumps are pricey and bulky and with the front distributor they wont really work. The solution comes with a Meziere remote pump that mounts on the radiator and has 2 outlets to go to each side of the motor. The 2 return lines will then connect to the black moroso thermostat housing. The piece on top was sourced from a NASCAR team who builds the LS2 spec engines. It allows a single connection for the upper hose, a filler neck, and an isolated section to connect the 4 steam ports from the cylinder heads.

Manley valves

A little bling for the valley cover

ATI trans

Last edited by colby; 07-13-2015 at 09:58 AM.
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always wanted a Racepak setup and came across a smoking deal on the whole kit so I pulled the trigger.

Both of my other cars had a full range of Auto-meter gauges, but since I already bought the Racepak I had to get the dash too. It's cheaper, lighter, cleaner, and easier to wire than the gauges.

Also picked up the MSD Grid setup on a great deal

Pro Bandit shifter with the Air cylinder and mount

No pictures but I bought a Kirkey Pro Street seat and cover so I can figure out where to sit and layout the cage design.
Also had to grab the steering wheel setup so I can layout where the column will be
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

What class are you planning to run?
The reason why I ask is in Super Stock Modified and Comp Super Modified, dry sump oiling systems are prohibited.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rear suspension
The rear will of course be 4-link.
I ordered the brackets from Chris Alston because I like the extra adjustability of the shock mounts.

I had the doublers installed, needless to say my welder is an artist.

I ordered the rod ends and Strange DA shocks from RJ and saved 10% thanks to a Christmas sale. Some may criticize my shock choice, but I figure if Strange struts are good enough for 90% of the chassis cars, the shocks will work for me.......we'll see I guess.

I picked a 4130 housing and wishbone from Bickel.
The housing is amazing compared to others I have seen.

I plan to mount the wishbone on the top side of the housing for easier thirdmember access so I bought the fabricated housing mount and billet mounts for the front. They are trick.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually do a good job of visualizing things in my head and knew how I wanted to lay out the cage, but I just couldn't seem to visual it with the car. My work as a design engineer gives me the opportunity to use some cool tools (if you didn't pick up on the 3D printed prototype part earlier) so I decided to model the basic car and lay out the cage.

After adding some bracing to the front end, I cut of the rear of the frame stub to tie the main rails of the chassis in.

Then a lot of cutting the remove the factory k-member mounts and structure. Here are the main rails slipped into the front stub.

The #1 bar is bent and in place

And finally the last picture brings everything up to date as I clearanced for the rocker bars and notched them to fit the #1 bar. The big floor beam in the center will be removed once the floor structure is welded in.

Last edited by colby; 07-13-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
What class are you planning to run?
The reason why I ask is in Super Stock Modified and Comp Super Modified, dry sump oiling systems are prohibited.
I plan to bracket race and run one of the super classes for now. If I did venture into S/S I would need a whole different engine setup. It would still require at least an external pump as the Jesel belt drive eliminates any internal pump.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #19
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

Coly, great job. Hang with the updates

I know from experience with posting the Super 10 project the more details and the more photos the better. Us gear heads like the tech items and "how I did this" items.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
colby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
Coly, great job. Hang with the updates

I know from experience with posting the Super 10 project the more details and the more photos the better. Us gear heads like the tech items and "how I did this" items.
I kinda got a late start with the documentation of the build.