HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Troy Pourciau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward / Sprint car accident

Just my thoughts on what I see in the video. Stewart is a great race car driver and has many accomplishments in racing. However I see no concerted effort from him to avoid contact with Kevin Ward. Its a sad day in racing. RIP Kevin Ward III
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Re: Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward / Sprint car accident

For whatever reason I believe he just never saw him until it was too late. I find it hard to believe he would have hit him on purpose. I hate this for everyone involved but it was a poor choice for the young man to get out of his car and go out in traffic the way he did.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Shaun Quill

Liked 82 Times in 20 Posts

Its a natural instinct to avoid someone or something that you see in your path. it was a total accident I'm sure, Thoughts and Prayers to Kevins family and anyone else involved.
Shaun Quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
goinbroke2

Liked 169 Times in 55 Posts

Horrible tragedy, totally preventable. I've seen it many times, guys get out and throw their helmet at the guy who put them out or point fingers etc. Why didn't Tony see him? Who knows, probably looking at the car against the wall then saw something in his periferial view and looked back to the track, twisted the wheel but was too late.

Hate seeing stuff like that happen, 17, full of testosterone, jumping out and yelling at a Champion like that? He almost got hit by the two cars before Tony. Maybe he thought he'd make him stop and stare him down? Who knows, but it was a fail on his part.

Nobody, I mean, NOBODY would purposely hit a driver with their car like that, especially a professional driver who does it for a living.

Just bad all around.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Unless it's on fire, you stay in your damn car after a wreck until safety crews arrive. It's beat into your head at every dirt track, asphalt track, hell even demolition derby drivers meeting. It's a tragedy, no doubt, but a very avoidable one. Whether he was trying to make a name for himself, or just full of testosterone like we all were at that age, he broke safety rule number one, and it cost him the ultimate price. My thoughts are with his family, as well as Tony, and I pray the folks out there that say Tony did it on purpose (really?), or swear he should never drive again find some peace and relax. However, Tony maybe oughtta give up the Sprint cars...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Troy Pourciau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I totally believe that TS DID NOT intentionally mean to hit Kevin. But I am stating that I think he saw him on the track and did not do everything he could to avoid hitting Kevin. You all know how experienced TS is on the racetrack. Giving the car gas as he is passing Kevin? I still do not understand that.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
AC

Liked 64 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Pourciau View Post
I totally believe that TS DID NOT intentionally mean to hit Kevin. But I am stating that I think he saw him on the track and did not do everything he could to avoid hitting Kevin. You all know how experienced TS is on the racetrack. Giving the car gas as he is passing Kevin? I still do not understand that.
Troy do some research and how you steer a sprint car and look at some pictures of views they have from inside the car, then add in dark track, a driver in a dark suit. The first driver looked like he may have just missed him or even clipped him.

RIP Kevin
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I watched the video several times. I don't think he gassed it. Car in front of Tony jerked wheel to avoid him. Cars were in the turn and would have made it hard to see until you were right on top of him. Kid was pissed and jumped in the way trying to get Tonys attention. Cars were all at same "pace" speed. Last minute Tony tried to avoid him is what it looked like to me. Not the best lights from the video, and black firesuit and black helmet. Emergency crew was not to the car yet.
We all make mistakes, and this one was terrible for a young racer, his family and for TS and everyone else involved. Bad for motorsports in general.
Prayers to all involved.

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Troy Pourciau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Troy do some research and how you steer a sprint car and look at some pictures of views they have from inside the car, then add in dark track, a driver in a dark suit. The first driver looked like he may have just missed him or even clipped him.

RIP Kevin
I admit I have never driven a sprint car..... but I do know when you press the gas pedal with the horsepower those cars have, the rearend is going to kick to the right side not the left.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Toller View Post
However, Tony maybe oughtta give up the Sprint cars...
Why?