HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts
Default Parking enclosed trailer on blacktop driveway

I want to make the final decision tomorrow on concrete verses asphalt. I can get the concrete for 4,650 or the asphalt for 3,200. It's a 53x10 driveway where I'll park my trailer and little motorhome for extended periods. I'm told if I set some wood planks under the tires I shouldn't have much problem with the asphalt sinking. These are both very well respected companies that would be doing the work. I still have to do the roof on my garage and home this year as well as doing the shortblock for my SSer and the motorhome hitch which was quoted at 1,400 and money isn't growing on tree's here so the 1450 I save in asphalt could pay for the hitch and get me out testing by Oct I hope. I really want the concrete but I may be selling the house in a few years to move to the Catawissa area, a few miles from Numidia and I hate to sink in money I may loose. any thoughts, thanks, Paul.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Bunkster

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Parking enclosed trailer on blacktop driveway

Even if it means you must wait, go concrete.

Trust me, you put concrete down, and 5-10 years from now, you'll be so thankful you did.

That is of course, if the concrete is done correctly.
Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Paul

I kind of agree with the Bunkster however check in to you property tax laws in some cases a concrete drive is considered permanent and an improvement to the value of your property and blacktop/asphalt is not.
So your choice could affect your property taxes.
Also if you order concrete ask about the inclusion and cost of freeze /thaw add mixtures.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Paul,

The asphalt will have to have a minimum of 6 inches of road base installed below the asphalt traffic course. This is typicaly crushed concrete, lime rock, shell. You cant just scrape off the sod and put down asphalt. Asphalt takes a while to cure. If you park on it too soon it will get depressions from the wheels even with wood under them. cure is faster during cool temperatures. Both surfaces make a good driveway if properly done. In your area there are issues with freeze thaw that we dont have down here in Florida.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Paul,
I went through the same thing (analysis) in 2002. Went with the "Crete" very glad I did.
I.ve had my 36,000 lb rig on it in 100+ days and it didn't sink or roll up like I've seen some "***-fault" driveways do... Be sure and have someone do it right. Don't pour too big a sections. Put in plenty of expansion joints and do a good footing. In you climate I go along with the Freeze prevention, too.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Todd Gale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went the asphalt route as it was less expensive and less property taxes here. If you do park the trailer on asphalt park it on some 1 inch plywood or your trailer tires will leave indentions into the asphalt sooner or later.