HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default SS/AS just a few curious questions

I've never looked at the modified classes but was reading through my 2009 printed copy of the rulebook and took a peak.
For SS/AS I see most of the engines are in the 390 inch range. Are these small blocks or big blocks? What is a "typical" GM / Mopar or Ford SS/AS engine like? Compression, bore / stroke, rods, blocks, etc. What about the heads, what is common and what kind of flow is typical. I assume it's pretty big bucks with aftermarket blocks to start with.
SS/BS and SS/CS seems to be equivalent just with small blocks with 750's. Right?

Just curious...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: SS/AS just a few curious questions

Jeff-we toyed with a 358 Cu In Mopar P5 and single carb in a 90 Dodge Daytona--- This was an "old" Watters motor that Tom Mettler had run in his Pro Stock Truck in comp---we ran 8-9 tenths under the index without too much difficulty and slowly getting faster---we had never run an automatic trans in a car bferoe so it was all new to us---launch,suspension settings, gear ratios etc. Most of the cars I have seen are Big small blocks kinda like 360-400 cu inches ---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Jeff---sorry do not want to milsead ya it was a SS/BSM not a SS/BS--comp387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
I've never looked at the modified classes but was reading through my 2009 printed copy of the rulebook and took a peak.
For SS/AS I see most of the engines are in the 390 inch range. Are these small blocks or big blocks? What is a "typical" GM / Mopar or Ford SS/AS engine like? Compression, bore / stroke, rods, blocks, etc. What about the heads, what is common and what kind of flow is typical. I assume it's pretty big bucks with aftermarket blocks to start with.
SS/BS and SS/CS seems to be equivalent just with small blocks with 750's. Right?

Just curious...
It can be either. You can have a stroked small block or a de-stroked big block.
Yes, it is big bucks. Usually a Comp style engine. I have seen Chevy small block engines with aftermarket block , 17.1 + compression and GM canted valve racing heads. You can be creative depending how deep your pockets are.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was just curious. What I have never understood is what the difference is between Modified and Comp. Way out of my price either way!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
I was just curious. What I have never understood is what the difference is between Modified and Comp. Way out of my price either way!
Shoe polish! I would think modified would be a little cheaper than comp if you're not too concerned with being the fastest car in your class. If you want to be competitive in comp your pockets have to be deep, unless your doing the work yourself.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Jeff,

I think there are also a few differences between what can be done to a car as well. They are slight-a car built to run in modified can run in comp, but it not always the case that a super modified comp car can go the other way without some modifications.

As for the cost differences, those new GT and modified superstockers that are front wheel conversions probably cost a lot more to build than my Bantum altered did, but the difference between a comp V-8 and a SS V-8 is probably in the cost of the motor. But I bet you can build a comp V-8 dragster for a lower cost than a SS V-8 modified car, including the motor. The lowest cost comp cars are the four cylinder cars, but for that is in part because the racers build their own motors and have to be prepared to fabricate parts on their own. I know that the Aragonas and the Massels and my partner Al Ackerman, to name a few, are just very creative and very smart.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
blkjack

Liked 51 Times in 16 Posts

Depending on how far you want to run under the index would determine your combination. Fletcher ran 9.30's mostly in the past with his 69 in SS/AS and still won. A state of the art car could easily run either Comp or SS. We are talking 125K for the chassis alone. In SS you really don't need it to win.
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote