Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: DOT info help

[QUOTE=63corvette;568744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&S Racing View Post
A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Not totally true.
If the vehicle is a personal vehicle titled in your name and registered RV and you own the entire contents personally you only need a class A or B depending on the vehicle being towed. Under 10,000 lbs Class B over 10,000 class A.
Called a Non Commercial CDL with no log book etc.
What I currently have.
My 2 Cents
Rick in TX
That was a direct paste from FMSCA.
Class B pertains to strait jobs only.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

If your truck is 2000 or newer, you don’t need Eld if do 8 or less trips a month.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #13
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moock View Post
If your truck is 2000 or newer, you don’t need Eld if do 8 or less trips a month.
Incorrect... 1999 or older. But that rule actually pertains to engine year rather than model year.
And from what I'm told the rolling 30 exemption and those 8 days the vehicle still needs to return home every day.

This is the problem with the whole deal. Everyone has different interpretations of the rules even the DOT officers but they don't mess around. They would rather hand you a fist full of tickets and put you out of service and let you fight it out in court.

I know this won't pertain to op but fuel is probably the thing that can get a racer in the most trouble!! If your not hazmat compliant fuel must be in no more than 4 dot approved 5 gal containers that are secured. And for the record your fuel cell in NOT dot approved so if you get on the wrong side of a officer they can get you for that.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

Thanks I’m really confused now ... even two lawyers are fighting .... I’m gonna get a cdl seems like that’s when they keep you stranded other issues result in tickets except hazmat and illegal stuff. Investigating if I work for the owner and Do not get paid to transport per say might be ok ... all is under 10,000 each and 20,000 gross. If it ends up a deal I’ll call you from jail 😏😏
Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Since the motorhomes have been mentioned... this is a FL license.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy View Post
Thanks I’m really confused now ... even two lawyers are fighting .... I’m gonna get a cdl seems like that’s when they keep you stranded other issues result in tickets except hazmat and illegal stuff. Investigating if I work for the owner and Do not get paid to transport per say might be ok ... all is under 10,000 each and 20,000 gross. If it ends up a deal I’ll call you from jail 😏😏
I honestly don't think you'll have an issue. I've never been pulled over and I've never gone thru a scale and my stuff is pretty big. I have read though that a CDL will more than likely keep you from any real issues if stopped.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

[QUOTE=J&S Racing;568748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post

That was a direct paste from FMSCA.
Class B pertains to strait jobs only.
There are exceptions listed further down in the regulations.
Class B is for a greater than 26,000 lb vehicle only. My motorhome is 33,000 dry and requires a Class B.
To obtain my license I took the CDL written test and a Driving Test in the motorhome just like the CDL test. Just no physical or drug test required.
I do not have the regulations in front of me however, I carry copies of those pages with me in my motorhome to be able to show them to an officer should he want to see them.
Just best not to argue with the officer who stopped you but you can with his supervisor if needed or the judge when in court.
The key is you are not commercial if you own all of the rig and contents, it is registered as a RV in your name, you are the driver, and you are not a for profit operation.
I just carry my hobby toys in a big rig.
My 2 Cents
Rick in TX

Last edited by 63corvette; 07-31-2018 at 10:15 AM.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&S Racing View Post
If your not hazmat compliant fuel must be in no more than 4 dot approved 5 gal containers that are secured.
The misinformation continues...

The rule for hazardous Materials of Trade is no more than 440 lbs total. For flammable liquids (fuel), it must be in containers of 8 gallons or less.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts

As I've stated before, the rules are as "Clear As Mud," regardless of what anyone tells you. Best advice: Get a CDL.Keep a log book. Don't need a ELD if you drive less than eight days in a rolling 30 day period. Not sure if you mentioned it, but if the truck and/or trailer is registered in a company name rather than personal, you could have a problem.

Best advice #2: If you get pulled over, regardless of the instance, they're right and you're wrong. You could argue it but it's best to respect the badge. You could argue it later before a court of law, but at the scene, you'll only make things worse. Trust me on that one, I know all too well.

Bottom line: It's not as prevalent an issue as some make it out to be. Get on down the road and enjoy life. I should be the one to talk, but it's true.
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
Steve Polhill

Liked 262 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Since the motorhomes have been mentioned... this is a FL license.
I wonder if that includes RV's with Trailers?