Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #11
stage1scott

Liked 96 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: Crew Help wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norton View Post
If the track's response to yesterday's car count is any indication, you'll be lucky to get two runs in two days. With that in mind, it would be advisable to be there EARLY, be prepared to stay LATE, and expect to stand in agonizingly interminable lines at tech, at credentials, and wait through very slow response to on-track problems. A part of the problem appeared to be problems related to poor car prep with breakage, leakage, and equipment problems. But then, the track response to issues that arose was not swift. I watched one poor soul whose job it was to hand-mop the track surface make multiple trips between the starting line and the 330' cone within the course of an hour. That's not considering the late morning hours during which the track limited the runs to 1/8 mile only due to gusting crosswinds.

As a casual observer, I would compare the day to one that might be experienced by a big-box department store that slashed prices by 50% and then gave half the staff a day off. It's the old problem of trying to stuff ten pounds of mud into a shoebox.

Good luck, see you there.

c
exactly my experience the last time I was there-in-2008. Sold my Buick, never got there with its replacement and I now have an ls2 GTO but have little inclination to rejoin the fray. An early morning rise (4 am for me) to get there and get in line at 630 and spend 14 hours for 2 passes. It was the same at street legal at Pomona. I had more fun and got more runs anytime I went to vegas for an event. Money aside (we all spend however much we choose for our recreation) it just is not fun for me investing that kind of time for that little track time.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
Big Boy,

I thought that was the natural order of things?????

Bob
You know that and I know that but this fine young man may not know that. Thought it would be a good idea to help out someone who has not had the benefit of 50 years nose-down in this mess.

C
Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #13
GrapeApe7575

Liked 324 Times in 70 Posts

Forgive me if I read you wrong, but it sounds like your experience with this venture is limited or at least less than recent. With a car like that, and a track that can be as tricky as Fontana, you would be well served to have somebody with you with a good deal of experience both with the COPOs and faster S/SS cars.....and the Fontana surface and racing conditions. I would suggest you contact Phil and/or Tony Mandella at PMR Race Cars to get acquainted and let them know about your program. There is nobody on the planet with more experience and knowledge that would be helpful to you.

If you are not their customer you might offer a fee for the day. I guarantee you that one day at the track with Phil would equate to many, many days of trial and error even with a helper at your side. I know they will be at Fontana next week as we will be testing our Super Stocker and they will be supervising every aspect of the session. You can reach Phil or Tony at (909) 941-7800.

Once again, please forgive me if I assumed incorrectly but this is good advice for even the most experienced race teams.
GrapeApe7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,704 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe7575 View Post
Forgive me if I read you wrong, but it sounds like your experience with this venture is limited or at least less than recent. With a car like that, and a track that can be as tricky as Fontana, you would be well served to have somebody with you with a good deal of experience both with the COPOs and faster S/SS cars.....and the Fontana surface and racing conditions. I would suggest you contact Phil and/or Tony Mandella at PMR Race Cars to get acquainted and let them know about your program. There is nobody on the planet with more experience and knowledge that would be helpful to you.

If you are not their customer you might offer a fee for the day. I guarantee you that one day at the track with Phil would equate to many, many days of trial and error even with a helper at your side. I know they will be at Fontana next week as we will be testing our Super Stocker and they will be supervising every aspect of the session. You can reach Phil or Tony at (909) 941-7800.

Once again, please forgive me if I assumed incorrectly but this is good advice for even the most experienced race teams.
Taking a car out with that kind of speed makes this great advice. Can turn a potentially very frustrating experience into one that will pay dividends for the remainder of your racing career.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #15
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,605 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe7575 View Post

X2....Phil can lead you in the RIGHT direction......
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Joe Schweigert

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: Crew Help wanted

My two cents if you’re looking for help make it someone you can rely on and has experience Craig’s list is niether. Mark recommended Phil and Tony great choice I raced in the early seventies than came back in the 8 years later a lot changed It was much easier in the past . I assume you’re not going to the Phoenix National SCEDA has a Combo race that weekend good time to jump in the pool As for this past weekend I hope the crew at Fontana learns from it I sat three hours in the lanes it appears they took 12 cars from each lane problem is 1 and 2 and 6 and 7 never had more than 20 cars lanes 3 and 4 were to the 1/8 mile something has changed at Fontana never seen it this bad.

Last edited by Joe Schweigert; 01-29-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spell check
Joe Schweigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
Joe Schweigert

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
Big Boy,

I thought that was the natural order of things?????

Bob
It was this weekend !
Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #18
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,808 Times in 572 Posts

"How will you find where I am at?"

Ask anyone on Stock or SuperStock..........I am not particularly well liked =
But most everyone out West knows me at least a little bit!
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
pro stock chuck

Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts
Smile Re: Crew Help wanted

WOW!!
1st off the Chuckster called it spot on. it was bad I think the real answer is to bring in a ice cream truck to change racers attitude. Can't hurt
pro stock chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
Rick Carlson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ice cream truck can't work!
truck arrived too early
truck arrived too late
truck left too early
truck left too late
refrigerated truck too noisy
truck parked too far away