HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #71
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: Shop, need suggestions

Great shop Denny, can you feel garage envy from envy(Plymouth)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	648up-m.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	14331   Click image for larger version

Name:	center-m.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	14332   Click image for larger version

Name:	comp-lyon-m.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	14333  

Name:	master-l.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	14334  
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #72
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

I am in the planning stages for a shop. What are the Pro's and Con's between an all steel building and a stick building? Door styles for overhead doors with wide spans. I am planning on housing a 48' trailer inside along with truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #73
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Brindisi Jr. View Post
Mack, Very Nice!

A friend of mine built: rip a 1/2 inch, 4x8 sheet of plywood in half or whatever... and build, (a 2x4 frame) into a high "bar style" table with locking wheels with 2 shelves beneath.... It would give u storage between the 2 cars, as well as a work table and eating/bench racing area. He ended up finishing the second one and gave him 16' of movable area.... I am going to do the same soon... Ron
I built similar tables but 2 x 4 ft in size frames, one shelf(each table had different height on the shelf)with a 48x30 top (you can replace these). Cut all the frame pieces the same so height's are the same, with locking wheels. I have smaller garage 24x36, so I put these where I need them, If I need a large flat workspace then I can roll them out in the middle of the garage and shove them together, lock the wheels and have a pretty large table(great for serving food during our super bowl party). My wife made canvas covers with snaps so all the tools,junk on the shelves are hidden and helps keep the dust out and don't need extra space for opening doors.

Last edited by MikeMoller; 11-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
MikeMoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #74
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,130 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
I am in the planning stages for a shop. What are the Pro's and Con's between an all steel building and a stick building? Door styles for overhead doors with wide spans. I am planning on housing a 48' trailer inside along with truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
Sean,

The steel building goes up faster and in most cases will be less expensive. The stick building does not have the commercial look and is more customizable then steel building but it will increase the price significantly.

I think both can be made to handle most any door configurations, it just comes down to how much money you want to spend .

Many don't like the steel building look, but if your okay with it, I think its the way to go just for price point.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #75
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sean a stick building allows for thicker insulation and the studs make it easier to sheet rock. You can also build a stud wall inside a steel building to get the same but the cost goes up. I just prefer the feel of a stick building. Just finished a 30x50 addition on my shop.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #76
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post

Thanks
Sean
Sean,

I am attaching some pics of a building I had built last year. It starts out as a 42 X 64 pole barn that becomes completely insulated in ceiling and walls. Along one wall(64 length) we put up a wall 9' from the side to have and area for office, mechanical, parts and a one stall garage (one car totally separated). This was studded and dry walled, with 8' ceilings but went up to 9' for the stall (7' door 2' rails). I had the white metal put on the shop area for easy clean up and to help everything be bright with light. The 9' area has the painted walls and wood trim like a stick built feel, but I can tell you that the insulation is so thick and works so well with the hot water heat running through the floor. I don't have total numbers, but I will bet I used less than 300 gal of propane last year and the heat was never less than 60 the whole time. Regarding doors, I put 2 10' X 20' one on each end so that drive thru is possible with my F-350 and a 28 tag. I wanted to go even longer and be able to unload the car from the trailer while inside, but I just didn't have the money for that. I hope this helps. Attached are some of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShopCR1.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	14350   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR2.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	14351   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR3.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	14352  

Name:	ShopCR4.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	14353   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR5.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	14354   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR6.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	14355  

Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #77
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Steve,

Your shop looks great, man am I jealous, I wish I could have built something the big. What did you do for the floor, it looks great. I need to do mine over and have not decided what to do yet. How about some pictures of the outside.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #78
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Steve,

Your shop looks great, man am I jealous, I wish I could have built something the big. What did you do for the floor, it looks great. I need to do mine over and have not decided what to do yet. How about some pictures of the outside.
Ken,
A racer friend had this done in his and he told me to have the concrete guys put a "dye" in it. It did run about $900 more, but when the cost of the concrete was over $20k, that is a drop in the bucket. Color is good, but the pics don't show that all of the work that went on inside later affected the "shine" I was trying to achieve. The finish is great, wipes up oil and anti freeze even weeks later. It is not as slick when washing a car with the water and all but oil does make it slick. I have had a rep from the company visit and says that I need to put another chemical on it to soften it and release the moisture that might have gotten trapped, then it will harden again and shine.
This has slowed my progress as the fumes are very dangerous and I have daily use now for my truck. I have not put my lift in as I am waiting to do the floor as a whole.
Headaches. I will post some outside pics later.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #79
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Some pics of the outside of the shop. Only windows are in the office area(less chance for curious eyes). Limited walk doors limit intruder entrances. There is a pic of my one car stall that is for the Pontiac, but has my Merc in it for now. It seals off so nothing can get on the car and there is little room to put anything else in if the urge should come up.
A couple of pics of my heating system. I so love the way it works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShopCR7.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	14379   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR8.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	14380   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopCR9.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	14381  

Name:	ShopCR10.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	14382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex lines1.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	14383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiant heat1.6.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	14384  

Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #80
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Very nice, I like that you have a door in the front and the back. The heating system looks great. Not knowing much about this type of heating system, is it more efficient than say what I have. Mine is just a forced air heater hanging from the ceiling powered by natural gas.