HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #21
speed-rcr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Pro-Am Schedule & D-1 Open Schedule

Has no one noticed the "Win and You're In" part is gone. At least it's back to some form of a points chase.
speed-rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: IHRA Pro-Am Schedule & D-1 Open Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed-rcr View Post
Has no one noticed the "Win and You're In" part is gone. At least it's back to some form of a points chase.
Yup, best three in each Division go to the TOC. Period. Good move. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed-rcr View Post
That is a GREAT thing. I'm not a fan of the T.O.C. format, and glad to see the 'win one race and you're in' part go away. Imagine this scenario:

A) Most of the typical IHRA racers (Beard, Piatek, Bertozzi, Cummings, Folk, Stillings, etc) support IHRA like they always do. Win a Nat'l or two, win a Div'l or two, and, under a normal points chase, would likely win the World Championship, or finish Top 5.

B) Meanwhile, someone goes to a TOC qualifier in June. Drives well, gets a break or two, and wins the race. That person is (or, was) in. So they choose not to race anymore IHRA that year, or get a new job that doesn't allow them to, etc. They go to the World Finals, again, drive well, catch a break or two, win the race and the so-called 'World Championship'. While the ones who supported IHRA get a .009 package laid on them first round, and don't even get a Top 10 number out of the deal.

That scenario, which easily could have happened, was my #1 beef with the TOC. Had the person in scenario B been me, I would have a hard time calling myself (or anyone) a "World Champion", having only attended two races all year, while drivers who WON 4-5 races don't get a 1-10 number. Actually, had I only ran the one TOC Qual race and won, I wouldn't have gone to the World Finals at all, and would have preferred to let the deserving drivers run for it.

I'm still not a TOC fan, but I admit I like the new 'Top 3 in each Division' rule much better. You have to support, and succeed, first, before getting to go run for the big prize.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mike your scenario has happened. I know racers that have won 1 race and attended 1 weekend won the TOC and were the World Champ. Here is a better account.
2010 I won the last Nitro Jam race at VMP which in fact was a qualifying race for 2011.
I then proceed to finish 8th in my division although I did compete in 20+ events ranging from divisionals,TOC, and NJ events. I would not have been in the TOC for 2011 if I had not won the final 2010 race. I won the 2011 TOC runoff to be crowned 2011 Hot Rod World Champ. Fast forward to 2012. I lost the Division Championship on the last weekend of the year by 5 points. I then went to Memphis as a Qualifier and got beat 1st rd. I was .008 10.898 to a .000 10.910. My opponent got bye to 6 cars and a top ten. I go home licking my wounds.
My take on this is I did everything I could. I won a World Championship under their rules and I lost one under those same rules. That being said. I like the Top 3 only rule thats the way it should have been all along.
Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Are the Sportsman Spectacular races over?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
Mike your scenario has happened. I know racers that have won 1 race and attended 1 weekend won the TOC and were the World Champ.
Who was it?

Anybody that can enter TWO races and WIN BOTH RACES (one of which was the TOC) is a pretty good driver.Maybe not a "World Champ" to some,but WINNING 2 out of 2 is pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Are the Sportsman Spectacular races over?
From what I understand,they are over.Very little support.I am not surprised.There were 4 or less Super Stockers in San Antonio racing for $5,000 to win.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I hadn't seen it announced elsewhere yet, but I was just flipping through the 2013 IHRA Rulebook, and it says Top 3 in points in each Division get $2,000/$500/$250. That's a big step up! Thanks Summit & Amsoil.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One comes to mind 2011 T/D champ won TOC at Richmond his home track then won VMP to be the champ. I'm sure there were others. I would have to research it.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: IHRA Pro-Am Schedule & D-1 Open Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
I hadn't seen it announced elsewhere yet, but I was just flipping through the 2013 IHRA Rulebook, and it says Top 3 in points in each Division get $2,000/$500/$250. That's a big step up! Thanks Summit & Amsoil.
Good deal! Now THAT is an enhancement! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Emily Stott

Liked 361 Times in 26 Posts

Can't say I'm shocked that Clay City is not on the schedule...they have been lacking cars for several years and last year was a complete joke, no cars, poorly run race, LOTS of unhappy racers.
Emily Stott is offline   Reply With Quote