HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Bidwell84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to start in stock

I'm wanting to get into stock eliminator. Exluding just buying one outright, what is a suggested car platform to start with. I have experience bracket racing but my car cannot be turned back into a stock elim car. So that being said what is good car to use. Mustang, Camaro, Cutlass, Pontiac, Buick, or a Mopar and what years. I'm not partial to anything brand. I don't mind the dime rockets. I like being the slow sometimes.

Thank you, Dustin.
Bidwell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Newbie looking to start in stock

Welcome ! You will find buying one is cheaper than building. Make contact with Billy Nee's , he can dial you in on a dime rocket and so can Mark Yacavone, two of the best.
Good hunting
Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I would suggest buying a car already in competition otherwise go out in your back yard, dig a hole and put your entire paycheck in it for 4 years...same as building one.

JimR
Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
NewHemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Drooze and I were new to class racing and bought a car with "some assembly required" After the cost of the car($45,000), I put more than another $100K into it. This includes several engines.

And in all honesty, only about $10K was totally "wasted" on bad decisions.

Then , it took nearly 8 months to get things sorted out.

If I could do it all again, I would buy something already built. So I certainly agree with Mr. Rountree.

Find yourself someone who knows class racing. Pick their brains. They will help you make good decisions, and tell you where the "edge" is located. In other words, what do you need to do, and what isnt worth the effort.

David
The New Hemi Guy

Last edited by NewHemi; 07-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Thumbs up Re: Newbie looking to start in stock

If I had it to do again, I'd also look for an already built race car, but I'd also consider a station wagon with a V8 in it (if only you knew Jody Lang)? However, I'm certain that there's plenty of draggin' wagons out there where you are, and since they have the rear overhang, there's money savings on traction improving accessories right there...whatever you pick, I hope you find a combo that hasn't had it's weight break and horsepower factors butchered by other racers combos, and I think you'll have more success in finding a combo like that in the slower 1/2 of Stock Eliminator. I'd also take a look at those Mustangs (like the one Matt Hawk just won San Antonio's Summit Sportsman Spectacular with)...the ones from the 80's- 90's should be cheaper to buy, build, and compete with than todays muscle cars??? My .02

Good Luck in your decision, and welcome to Stock Eliminator!!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 07-08-2012 at 05:13 PM.
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Class Racing is a blast!

Some tips.

Determine how much you can afford to spend.
Research cars in that price range
Research how competitve they can be
Pick your favorite combo out of that bucket
Making an informed decision is the best.

If you can partner up with a class racer you know or at least go to the races to get a handle on the cost of entry and especially the cost of maintaining a car, that will help. Consider it a Class Racing mini internship.

Usually, the difference between the bracket cars and the stockers is that most stockers require more serious maintenance. Even if you get a good deal on a purchase. ( there are several on racing junk and CR right now) they might cost more per run so make sure you are ready.

Now there are many that have learned how to do this with a lot lower maintenance schedule, but that is not the norm. ( compared to a typical E/T car)

I tell people that don't know about class racing to start with a simple test:

Go to the Bank.
Withdraw $2,000. in $100 dollar bills
Flush them down the toilet one at a time
If you can't count to at least 15 before you get sick, you are probably not a good Class Racer Candidate!
Ok, I am partly kidding. partly.......

I love Class racing and it is fun, just make sure that you get something that fits your budget, ability and lifestyle. Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Cool Re: Newbie looking to start in stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell84 View Post
I'm wanting to get into stock eliminator. Exluding just buying one outright, what is a suggested car platform to start with. I have experience bracket racing but my car cannot be turned back into a stock elim car. So that being said what is good car to use. Mustang, Camaro, Cutlass, Pontiac, Buick, or a Mopar and what years. I'm not partial to anything brand. I don't mind the dime rockets. I like being the slow sometimes.

Thank you, Dustin.
Here are my views:

The other suggestions are all 100% spot on.......If this is for you, figure out how you will get to those 300-600 mile away tracks also......How old you are, family situation, job will dictate what you can do yourself or not......best bet to compete is buy one, educate yourself on EVERYTHING concerned with the car and its class......pour over the paperwork that the car has(dynos, etc) and most importantly the time slips....get Nitro Joes stats so you can compare and contrast and also get a feel for where things are in your desired class.....download the NHRA stock guide and go pouring through it so you too can see the "dime" rocket potential.....if you buy as suggested, you can always build another at your own pace....a pre-raced car will also come with its prior owner's way to run with it list....ie leave at 120, not 150 degrees, etc, air pressure....just race it, don't screw with it till you get seat time, then you can slow it down to your hearts content!

Also, you need to figure out stick versus auto, FWD versus RWD, and lastly stock versus SS. Go slowly and you will see in a few years if its for you.....Might also want to grab a classracer that earns their living in the field to check over the car, chasis too you might have to spend $$$$$$ just to make it safe, or decent.

Good luck....Eric.....70/71 challenger(bought it), 96 dakota(bought it) 09 dragpak(had it built but only after I got my feet real, real wet with the prior two) 77 Gremlin(of course I bought it....I can't think where to find one!)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell84 View Post

Thank you, Dustin.
Dustin,
You don't say where your from which if you did, might help ya get into class racing but, Jim's got a great idea and him and his brother make it work. Way, way cheaper to buy one than build though you might not get the car of your dreams.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Dustin, I would recommend one of those "new cars" like say an 1985 or newer model. That way you can have a roller lifter engine and not be sweating bullets every run that a small part failure just wiped out your whole season!

Just a consideration,

Tracy
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Bidwell84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am from Millersport, Ohio. I race at national trail raceway in Hebron, Ohio. It's less than 10 miles from the house and garage. I've raced in Texas but that was when I was stationed there. I have a great work setup. But my focus will be on the local racing before makng runs far away of course. When I compete I do okay. I want to get into stock eliminator. The cars in STK and SS are great to watch. If anyone knows a person to meet with close that would be great. I have a photo graphic memory, just lose the film sometimes. I've learned a ton by just asking the question. Send more knowledge.
Bidwell84 is offline   Reply With Quote