Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSG1198 View Post
I think all the throttle stop BS has ruined these classes. Take it from someone who has one of the slowest S/G cars in the US (112mph on the stop) but, even if we lowered the index and made the cars run a certain type of stop it will never draw the fans back. People are sooo brain washed with the NHRA coverage on ESPN and what "John Force is going to do next or what do the Forces do at the beach" that when the Pro's are done everyone wants to get to the pits to see if they can get their 15 minutes of fame on TV and go meet the drivers. Now I bet if NHRA does what NASCAR does and closes the pits down to the public and you have a pass to get in you might draw some more fans in the stands. I hate to say it but, this is for most if not all of the classes. I've brought friends to Divisional events and tried explaining Stk/SS to them and they basically tell me "That's too much thinking to do with this car runs this class cause of how it weighs and the cubic inc of the motor and what type of index it should run". I mean even Comp my friends have a hard time understanding but, of course they LOVE T/S cause of the type of cars that run it and how fast they go. We have to come to realize that we are the "Fill In's" at these events to help the Pro's get ready for the next round the only people who really care about us are people who used to drive or drive a S/G or Stock or Super Stk cars cause they can relate to it. Trust me I love watching Super Stk and Stk and I don't go hide once I'm done my S/G run. I just think we have to realize where we stand and not much can fix it cause as you say sponsors will lose money and the fans that did love watching us have moved on.
Drawing people in the stands is not the whole idea , getting them in the GATE is the ($$$) idea.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
I always thought a nascar type restrictor plate under carb would be more entertaining than t/stops. At least they would be a steady pace down track without stopping and going. I think if someone wanted to spend a little time they could perfect this method. I think you could make a spacer for under the carb with a slot kinda like a cd player has and # the disc and keep changing them til the car is dialed in. These discs could be numbered like a jet for carbs. If anyone does do this remember you saw it on here and i want my royalties($$$$$$) for this idea.
Good idea Danny. But I doubt anyone could turn this run away train around now.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts
Red face Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
I always thought a nascar type restrictor plate under carb would be more entertaining than t/stops. At least they would be a steady pace down track without stopping and going. I think if someone wanted to spend a little time they could perfect this method. I think you could make a spacer for under the carb with a slot kinda like a cd player has and # the disc and keep changing them til the car is dialed in. These discs could be numbered like a jet for carbs. If anyone does do this remember you saw it on here and i want my royalties($$$$$$) for this idea.
Sorry Danny, a buddy of mine already does this for his 8.60 nova.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,007 Times in 305 Posts
Default Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

I agree with X-Tech man the train is already out of control and the conductor bailed out a couple of miles back.

Danny getting them in the gate is the idea and explaining to them what the idea behind .90 racing is what it's all about. Trust me I've had people come by my trailer and ask me why does it do this...and I turn the power off tell them to jump in and I give them a lesson and they are like "Wow...I understand this stuff now"

Last edited by BKSG1198; 08-18-2010 at 08:10 AM.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,828 Times in 1,531 Posts

I'd love to see what would happen if transbrakes (and pinionbrakes, remember them?) all went away.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

Billy, my father always said they need to change SG to small blocks, Lenco's and vertex mag's, thats it, lol
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Ok guys.....this thread belongs in the 8.90-9.90 section...but..as you have stated....it is not a fan attraction....but trust me it's still a great class(8.90 or 9.90) to race....and the most heavily attended....so the people complaining aren't really the racers.....Don't get me wrong...I really like this super stock thing....but I still enjoy racing 9.90....it's fast ....and very competitive....and you can go 135 or 175 and still have a good chance to win...(and you don't have to work nearly as hard as you do in SS..more bs time).....The fans have to have time to buy a t shirt or hot dog anyway...lol..they are going to exit the stands for some class....

The SRAC is meeting about a proposed index change...but I doubt it will pass a vote....personally I don't really care what the index is....it's fine the way it is....but some of the guys look at it as a cost increase to lower the indexes....and we don't want that....

I feel like I can comment on the super class stuff as we have been racing it for a long time.......the Super Stock issues I stay out of until I am a little more of a veteran of the class.....

Don't we have enough issues to talk about in stock and super stock....without getting into 8.90 and 9.90....

What about those damn CJ's.....and the bad people that race them.....lol

Rock Haas
323 SS/DA
302 S/G
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
JJ3159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got it combine everything and make it a giant bracket race,oh wait they have those.or for stock get rid of everything j and up ,for super stock m and up .who enjoys 13 second class cars.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
TCOONLY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

X2 JJ. Cant agree more
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #20
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,652 Times in 505 Posts

put some cubic inch restrictions like S/ST small block max 360 cu in. S/G big block max 440cu in. SC big block max 475 cu in. Might make things a little more interesting and less time on the stop. Drop the indexes .030 like the class cars.