HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Ok, please do not take offence if you race in any of these classes. From the day that NHRA allowed these car I enjoyed watching these classes, they were very entertaining to spectate. Could we remove the throttle stops! I really enjoy watching T/D and T/S ,bracket racing you may say, but entertaining none the less. Braking systems are so much better now. Does anyone have a better idea than throttle stops. I love the color and the engineering that these class bring to NHRA. I'm looking forward to Indy. CR
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Real simple, remove the timers, before 1991 Super classes where enjoyable to watch with the throttle stops coming on when the cars went into high gear, it was side by side racing with a killer SG car going 145 and SC cars was lucky to see 160.

Politics like always came into play and NHRA wouldnt do anything about the timers cause sponsors where in the mix, now there is nobody with timers sponsoring so the time is now.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lower the indexes and dump all the electronic rubbish. S/C should lower the index to at least 8.50, I would like it to get down to 7.90s. Super Gas is so boring, lower the indexes to at least 9.50. Ever see the fans hit the exits when these two classes come out? I know I'm one of 'em as it has been ruined by the gadgets.

SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Knock a second off their class index. Timers will be useless at that point. Probably would put some guys out of business as far racing goes though.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
cicero819
VIP Member

I use to love watching those Scratcher Monza reach for the sky. Joe Covert and Steve Cohen battling out for the championship, it was always a top end game, love to watch them race those last 50' watching each other and who was going to dump who. These class have a lot of potential for attracting new blood, NHRA should act now. All class can be improved and I'm all for it if this sport is going to survive. I don't know if Compton and his followers really understand their core customer"the racers". CR
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unhappy Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Shouldn't this go to the .90's Forum ??
Or maybe the lounge ?
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStocks@LionsDragStrip View Post
Lower the indexes and dump all the electronic rubbish. S/C should lower the index to at least 8.50, I would like it to get down to 7.90s. Super Gas is so boring, lower the indexes to at least 9.50. Ever see the fans hit the exits when these two classes come out? I know I'm one of 'em as it has been ruined by the gadgets.

I agree. 8.50/9.50/10.50. No delay boxes or timers. Go to a full tree. Leave the trans brakes in place. I started racing in SG when the fast cars were 140+ mph and the racing was close. We use to slow the cars down with ballast. Very effective. Remember when SG used to qualify 64 cars prior to first round. Here's the problem. Brodix, Dart and similar performance companies would loose revenue from no one needing to buy 632 CI engines. Now that Pandoras box has been opened, it's too hard to close it.
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

I always thought a nascar type restrictor plate under carb would be more entertaining than t/stops. At least they would be a steady pace down track without stopping and going. I think if someone wanted to spend a little time they could perfect this method. I think you could make a spacer for under the carb with a slot kinda like a cd player has and # the disc and keep changing them til the car is dialed in. These discs could be numbered like a jet for carbs. If anyone does do this remember you saw it on here and i want my royalties($$$$$$) for this idea.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts

I think all the throttle stop BS has ruined these classes. Take it from someone who has one of the slowest S/G cars in the US (112mph on the stop) but, even if we lowered the index and made the cars run a certain type of stop it will never draw the fans back. People are sooo brain washed with the NHRA coverage on ESPN and what "John Force is going to do next or what do the Forces do at the beach" that when the Pro's are done everyone wants to get to the pits to see if they can get their 15 minutes of fame on TV and go meet the drivers. Now I bet if NHRA does what NASCAR does and closes the pits down to the public and you have a pass to get in you might draw some more fans in the stands. I hate to say it but, this is for most if not all of the classes. I've brought friends to Divisional events and tried explaining Stk/SS to them and they basically tell me "That's too much thinking to do with this car runs this class cause of how it weighs and the cubic inc of the motor and what type of index it should run". I mean even Comp my friends have a hard time understanding but, of course they LOVE T/S cause of the type of cars that run it and how fast they go. We have to come to realize that we are the "Fill In's" at these events to help the Pro's get ready for the next round the only people who really care about us are people who used to drive or drive a S/G or Stock or Super Stk cars cause they can relate to it. Trust me I love watching Super Stk and Stk and I don't go hide once I'm done my S/G run. I just think we have to realize where we stand and not much can fix it cause as you say sponsors will lose money and the fans that did love watching us have moved on.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
cicero819
VIP Member

All class are complicated just no more throttle stops or timers of any type. Just release your trans brake and go. One of the reasons for those class was to intice fresh blood into our sport not alienate spectators. I love to watch the different cars in those class but unfortunately get tired of watching cars after cars die a few feet off the starting line to explode three second after. These racer are as dedicated to their class as anyone else and I'm sure that they could come up with something to help the diehard racer interested. I don't care about the general population of spectator who just love John Force's circus act, I'm talking about you and I the people who show up to see the qualifying in the sportsman ranks and leave when the circus starts and goes into the pits to check out the great quality show of engineering machines that the individuals have built.