HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Route 66 NHRA Nationals parking pictures.

Considering that distance, the cars that are normally towed to the lanes should've been pitted across the street, rather than the cars that are normally required to be driven to the lanes.....it would seem most sensible, no?? But then again, making sense is pretty much never the course taken lately. Looking over entry lists, and Sportsman fields are huge out there....Great racing coming if weather/track hold up...WJ

Last edited by W J; 06-04-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add content...
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts
Angry Re: Route 66 NHRA Nationals parking pictures.

It might be hard to visualize how far away some people were parked. This modified Google map that I made shows the locations where Sal took his photos. It's about 1.5 miles from the speedway lots to the head of staging at Rt. 66.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IL - Joliet - Rt 66 - Sportsman Parking 2010a.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	3454  
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I was 1.7 miles from the back of the lanes....not much different than Madison....but it seemed a lot farther......but Red came and got us when we needed to go up...it wasn't too bad....at least when I pulled out at 10:30 pm Sunday I wasn't stuck....it was really wet in the pit area....that place would have been all torn up...it still might be bad this weekend....it didn't just rain...it poured....a number of times....I would hate to have seen the jet fuel bill....they had a tanker right there to fill all 3 jets up....incredible....

Rock
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #14
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It wasnt that bad for time runs and first round. (we broke a rocker arm first round so we didn't get to find out past that). Did they move the people that were in the late rounds inside? I can't imagine you would have time to go back and forth in the later rounds.
TS310C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

We could have moved but we didn't........
Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
sc3912

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS310C View Post
It wasnt that bad for time runs and first round. (we broke a rocker arm first round so we didn't get to find out past that). Did they move the people that were in the late rounds inside? I can't imagine you would have time to go back and forth in the later rounds.
Yeah, I had the same problem first round S/C. Pulling into the tunnel started clattering and missing. Put it on the line hoping he went red or broke out, no such luck. Wouldnt have been a Jesel shaft rocker, would it? As for tornados, we had one come thru our town Saturday night, fortunately for us it went thru a block north of my parents house. Just lost a couple of trees. Other people werent so lucky,major damages.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff,

Yep it sure was a Jesel! It is the second one I have broke. They are breaking at the adjuster. I talked to them at Jesel and they said that if you don't use a torque wrench to make sure you don't over tighten them you will stretch the threads and weaken the rocker at that spot. Since I am the second owner of this motor, I am not sure how they were tightened. I just bought 16 new rocker arms so I can start over fresh. They treated me really fair on the price!
TS310C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
sc3912

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS310C View Post
Jeff,

Yep it sure was a Jesel! It is the second one I have broke. They are breaking at the adjuster. I talked to them at Jesel and they said that if you don't use a torque wrench to make sure you don't over tighten them you will stretch the threads and weaken the rocker at that spot. Since I am the second owner of this motor, I am not sure how they were tightened. I just bought 16 new rocker arms so I can start over fresh. They treated me really fair on the price!
This makes 3 for me. every time it is an intake rocker. Breaking in the adjuster area. Almost look like it breaks with the grain and all three breaks look identical. I bought these rockers used along with the heads from a guy who used to travel with us. What is the torque spec? I always just snugged the lock nut up with a normal combination wrench.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #19
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff,

After they told me my LSM adjuster tool was set at the correct torque spec, I never asked what that was. For some reason 20ft/lbs is in my head, but don't quote me on that. Mine have both broken in that same area, sort of at an angle right at the adjuster. When you look at the broken area there are two different colors of metal. One are is darker. It almost looks like they were cracked for a while before they broke. It could be that whoever had your rockers before you had over torqued them.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

LSM sells a cool adjuster tool that is a torque wrench and allen wrench....it will solve your problem....most likely

We use T&D rockers and have had the same set for several years....but have always used the torque wrench when lashing......T&D supplied it...but just look in ND for an add...from LSM