Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs down Do Not Fly Spirit Airlines!

And here is why.........

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/30...est=latestnews

This is disgusting to do to a vet let alone one who has a short time left on this earth. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Do Not Fly Spirit Airlines!

Heartless bastards.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Normally I agree 100% with you guys.
But on this one. Not completely.
I travel a bit between cruises and airlines. Always looking for the cheapest rates. And I have read the fine print that everyone usually just checks "accept" There are always insurance offered that will allow you to cancel due to certain circumstances.
But most people don't want to spend the extra money.
I feel for the man in this case. He got dealt a terrible hand. But if they "publicly" make an exception. They will be opening themselves up for many more exceptions. Recently there was a "bride" that told everyone she had terminal cancer. So people would pay for an elaborate wedding. She never had the disease.
Spirit Airlines tickets are very cheap. Does anyone know how much his ticket cost?
I have a feeling this was just a slow news day deal.
Spirit could have made some quiet arrangement to donate the amount to charity.
But in the long run you have to read the fine print, and you get what you pay for.

BTW the major carriers hate Spirit and the lamestream media works hard to lambast them every chance they get.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Do Not Fly Spirit Airlines!

It was reported the amount was $197. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
It was reported the amount was $197. Jim

The price on a regular carrier for a changeable/refundable ticket would be about $500.
The major carriers also sell non refundable tickets for less money but the same rules as Spirit apply.
Trust me it was a slow news day.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
BobOrme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with the statements made by the person from FlyersRights. All airlines have policies in place regarding illness with proof, no matter the original ticket status of refundable or non-refundable.

Personally, I wouldn't fly any airline that has reached the point of squeezing every penny out of its customers to the extreme of charging extra for both checked and carry on luggage. ....and charging $5 extra to print a boarding pass at the airport? Really? Do they charge you to use the lavatory on the plane? Is the lavatory toilet paper metered?
BobOrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOrme View Post
I'm inclined to agree with the statements made by the person from FlyersRights. All airlines have policies in place regarding illness with proof, no matter the original ticket status of refundable or non-refundable.

Personally, I wouldn't fly any airline that has reached the point of squeezing every penny out of its customers to the extreme of charging extra for both checked and carry on luggage. ....and charging $5 extra to print a boarding pass at the airport? Really? Do they charge you to use the lavatory on the plane? Is the lavatory toilet paper metered?
Welcome to 2012,the future is here now.

59 more to go
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:

You have to read the fine print before you buy. A lot of people see the 29 or 49 dollar fares and think it's an unbelieveable deal. Which it can be. A lot of people fly from Florida up north and back and have clothes in both places. So no luggage.
All airlines have recently introduced revenue raising items. If you want to sit in the first 25 rows it will cost you 40 or 50 dollars extra. If you are big like me and want an exit row it's 75 dollars more. The main difference between Spirit and the major carriers is Spirit charges for a carryone bag (and that means a small suitcase not a computer bag or a shopping bag) and they charge for non alcoholic drinks.
The main problem with the budget carriers is that if you are on a schedule it can get screwed up. They lease all their planes and if the plane you are going on has a malfuntion. They can't roll another one out of the hanger. And they don't work with other carriers
If I have to be somewhere on a certain day (such as a cruise even though I'll fly a day early) I would not take Spirit. If I'm going to Vegas etc Spirit will do, if the price is right.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
BobOrme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
You have to read the fine print before you buy. A lot of people see the 29 or 49 dollar fares and think it's an unbelieveable deal. Which it can be. A lot of people fly from Florida up north and back and have clothes in both places. So no luggage.
All airlines have recently introduced revenue raising items. If you want to sit in the first 25 rows it will cost you 40 or 50 dollars extra. If you are big like me and want an exit row it's 75 dollars more. The main difference between Spirit and the major carriers is Spirit charges for a carryone bag (and that means a small suitcase not a computer bag or a shopping bag) and they charge for non alcoholic drinks.
The main problem with the budget carriers is that if you are on a schedule it can get screwed up. They lease all their planes and if the plane you are going on has a malfuntion. They can't roll another one out of the hanger. And they don't work with other carriers
If I have to be somewhere on a certain day (such as a cruise even though I'll fly a day early) I would not take Spirit. If I'm going to Vegas etc Spirit will do, if the price is right.
I've already bought 4 round trip tickets on 4 different major airlines this year, and none of them charged extra for all seats in the first 25 rows. First Class and early row stretch seats cost more, but those seats aren't more than half of the seat population. Coach/economy seating is still the majority of seats available on all airlines, and the highest price I've seen for stretch seating is $39 on United - the same price they've been charging for years.
BobOrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
I've already bought 4 round trip tickets on 4 different major airlines this year, and none of them charged extra for all seats in the first 25 rows. First Class and early row stretch seats cost more, but those seats aren't more than half of the seat population. Coach/economy seating is still the majority of seats available on all airlines, and the highest price I've seen for stretch seating is $39 on United - the same price they've been charging for years.
Well Bob things change. I'm leaving for Seattle on May 23 on United (they now have merged with Continental) And what I told you are the new rules. I booked this trip 8 months ago and had picked decent seats at the time. They took them away and issued me others. Back of the plane and not even next to my wife. I called and complained but they wouldn't do a thing except change my flight to one 4 hours later, but at least my wife and I sit together.
I just double checked and I was wrong about the first 25 rows. It is the first 22 rows Exit row seats are $89 more the rest varied extra prices from $89 to $61 (middle).

Last edited by art leong; 05-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote