HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: Super street diapers

OK, I'm going to voice my opinion here, even if it does put me at risk of being unpopular (oh wait, too late!) EVERYONE should have a diaper on their car. EVERYONE. I could give a crap less about NHRA's oil down fine, or the down time due to the cleanup. All I care about is making sure none of my friends get hurt and/or destroy their stuff.

After a 2 year rebuilding project, and a completely fresh motor, I finally got the car out about a month ago. 3 weeks ago, I was at Atco for the $25K bracket races they had there, and here's what happened first round on Saturday at the starting line:

As I mentioned above, the motor was fresh. All the hardware was replaced (rings, bearings, fasteners, etc.), new pistons, cam, and valvesprings, and the rods and crank were magnafluxed to ensure they were still good. This was pass number 8, and from what I can tell, it appears that a brand new ARP rod bolt broke (I'm not blaming ARP, stuff happens, but it is disappointing to have what is supposed to be the highest quality component of its kind break after being professionally installed by a very reputable engine builder.)

The car wasn't running more than 5 seconds from the first faint sign of something going wrong. By the time I had unbuckled and climbed out of the car (30 seconds maximum), there was literally a lake of oil and water emanating from underneath the car (they were down for at least 20 minutes cleaning the mess up, and I didn't even go anywhere!). If this had decided to break at the top end rather than on the starting line, I cringe to think of the results.

Deservedly, I got a little lecture from Tom Stalba for not having a diaper on the car. The REALLY stupid thing is that I actually own a diaper! I just didn't put it on the car because it is a one-size fits all diaper, and it was a pain in the ***** to put on, not to mention that it was big enough to fit a 900 cid big block, let alone my 383 cid small block. Regardless, for me to own a diaper and not have it the car was stupid with a capital 'S'.

My car won't be back out again without a diaper or a belly pan, and for the love of God, all of you, please put a diaper or belly pan on your cars too. For about $200 you can have DRE build you a custom diaper for your car, and that is just such cheap insurance considering amount of money we have tied up in these things (not to mention the emotional investment as well).

Soapbox mode off.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jason, sorry about your crappy luck, but these things do happen and sometimes ***** breaks, even when its new (same thing happened to me once...)..

And well said, if you can fit one in your car, put one on, it could save your life...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
DIAPERMAN

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Talking Re: Super street diapers

Jason call me lets get one built,I have lots of pics like yours just luckily they had a DRE diaper on and the good news is they cleaned the diaper up and reused it.Also if you tear a DRE diaper or burn a strap we fix it for free you just pay shipping cost..P.S. KEEP YOUR MESS IN YOUR DIAPER AND NOT ON THE TRACK !!
DIAPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
progasser1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to progasser1

I'd like to throw in my two cents here, if I could. Jason Oldfield is my neighbor and friend. I'm a former drag bike racer, so I understand drag racing and safety issues related to it. Jason was kind enough to allow me to help (hang around is more precise) in his two year rebuild. He spared no expense and cut no corners. Like any of us, he expected no problems with all the new equipment on his car, so it came as a shock when he texted me from Atco about his engine failure. After he got back, and we had a chance to discuss the whole incident, Jason realized just how lucky (!!!!) he was. When you think that this could have happened on the top end, and he might have gone on his head. you realize what inexpensive insurance a diaper is. What I want to know (I guess I'm directing this to DRE), is when can one be made up for bikes? Don't forget, they have the reciprocating mass moving up and down under the rider. In the meantime, I'm grateful for these type of safety products, and that my friend and neighbor, Jason will be around to race another day. Thanks for the time.

Paul Cuff

Last edited by progasser1; 08-23-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Addition
progasser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
DIAPERMAN

DRE can and will build a diaper for anything.We have done some bike they have only been on the lower end.If you get me a pattern and pics I will work with you to build whatever you need.This is what DRE is here for ,this is our nitch in the diaper business CUSTOM.Also DRE only builds diapers , call me sometime with any questions.I am more than willing to spend the time with fellow racers Thanks to all the racers for their support
The Diaperman
Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Dave - Thanks for your condolences. Like you said, '***** happens' - I just wish it would have happened to somebody else.

Paul - Thanks for your help. Unfortunately this was just one of those incidents that was going to happen, no matter how much money I spent (and I spent plenty). I just should have spent $200 more to get a diaper from DRE with the proceeds I would have got by selling mine.

DRE - I'm in no hurry now, as I'm done for the year, but I will be giving you a call between now and next Spring.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The way I read the Super-Street rules, it looks like even a 135+ mph car would not be required to have a diaper, since it is not required under general regulations. That having been said, I think everyone should have one. I just got back from a big bracket race at Pacific (formerly Seattle International Raceway). The guy pitted next to me was a Super-Street racer (Gary Ermish), who runs around 136 mph. His motor (freshened at the beginning of the season) let loose just like Jason's, only it happened as he crossed the finish line first round. He spun it around, and somehow only lightly smacked the wall (Pacific is a pretty wide track at the top end). I pulled his wife to the side as they were towing the car back, and suggested that they get an engine diaper.

Regards,
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
JBM Sr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Carlos. I raced Englishtown Nationals this year also. Then I went through tech, I was asked if my car goes faster then 135 mph. I said yes, but asked why. He said "if it goes faster then 135 mph it has to follow Super Gas rules". Since I have one on the car it didn't make a difference for me. But I was not the only one they asked in Super Street. A couple of other guys were looking for diapers after that. But even if your car doesn't go over 135 mph, I would put a diaper on it. Hope this helps.

John Maggiulli Sr.
Super Street 173M
JBM Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
mcaruso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Oldfield View Post

....Is that a K&N oil filter?
mcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
DIAPERMAN

I have had a lot of Super Stock cars getting diapers now,The main reason is the cost of these cars and also themselves.Just think if you wrecked a Hemi Cuda $ 169.00 is cheap insurance. DRE built a diaper for a guy that had an original Sox and Marten car a couple years ago,the guy said the car was worth about 400,000 of course he got a custom made one.