HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Jeff Lee

Default Battery: Rock vs "V" Performance Racing Products

I'm looking at a new battery. I tried a pair of 60# Optima's that are rated at 900 CCA and 75 minutes resrve. I bought them as I needed the weight and thought they would keep a charge for long periods. I have to charge each over 24 hours to obtain 13.20 volts. And they drop (installation is + to +, - to - no alternator) to 12.50 volts almost immediately. I then spend the rest of the day at the races trying to maintain 12.5 volts.

I'm looking at this "Rock" battery. It's a 12v/16v three-post rated at 1050 CCA and 40 minutes reserve and weight is 58 pounds.
Also looking at "V" Performance Racing Products 12v/16v three-post rated at 1100 CCA and 150 minutes reserve. Weight is 52 pounds.
Reserve is based on 25amp draw on both. Cost is comparable on both batteries.

On paper the "V" looks better. Am I missing anything? An item that is important to me is fast charge rate using my small Honda generator.

Thanks for any help.

NHRA #7494 SS/H
1970 AMC AMX
"Best Appearing" @ NHRA '06 Pacific Sports Nationals
JeffLeeAzRealty@Qwest.net
602-418-9797
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Ken Wigington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the V battery. I learned that you, without an alternator, will need a real 16V charger. I did ok with the maintainer, but I got a very small alternator and it works great. Use the big charger between runs and/or rounds and maintainer all the remainder of the time. Mine will stay at 17.2or 3 all the time. If you let the V get really low it takes a looong time to re charge. I just use the maintainer now, and rarely need the big charger. Just before a run mostly.

Hope it helps your decision, they are not cheap.

Kenny

...That win light HAS GOT to work sometime !!.....
Ken Wigington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Jeff Lee

Ken,
Do you have contact infor for Performane Racing Products? I've looked all over and can only find retail suppliers. I want to ask them some direct questions.
Thanks!

NHRA #7494 SS/H
1970 AMC AMX
"Best Appearing" @ NHRA '06 Pacific Sports Nationals
JeffLeeAzRealty@Qwest.net
602-418-9797
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts

Jeff, look here. It should answer more than I can ! Be careful mentioning what you "may" see in there.... You'll know it when you see it...he he he.

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....x&cPath=65_146

I hope they will replace that win light , on my side ! It looks like yours still works ?!

STK 2894