HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Harris Phelps and Harry Phelps - 2014 TNTSS 5th Place!

COUNTDOWN to a Championship
- Harris Phelps and Harry Phelps -
2014 TNT Super Series Fifth Place

For the first time in the eight years of the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series, there is a tie in the top five. Harris Phelps and his father Harry ended up with exactly the same number of points (614) in the 2014 championship points chase.

Both drivers made multiple late round appearances including semi-final finishes for each of them. That, in addition to each earning qualifying points at every race and they both finished in fifth place.

Harris Phelps
Out of Marion, New York, Harris started the season strong with back to back semi-final finishes and continued by going rounds at all but two events. His goal in 2015 is to get a TNTSS win and qualify for the REVS Full Throttle Powersports RACE OF CHAMPIONS.

"I have been around drag racing as far back as I can remember going to watch dad race," said Harris. "I started racing around 2003 running dad's Nova and now I'm running a 1984 Chevy S10 with a 406 small block and a power glide that is capable of 10.40's at 128 mph."

Harris went on to say how he and his dad have never met in eliminations until this year. "For the first time ever we had to race each other in eliminations with dad going .499 red to my .535 to send me to the semi's at Cayuga. Then we ended the year racing each other with the tables turned and me going .499 red to his .535 at Lancaster to send him to the semi's which ended up tying us in the points."

"A special thanks to my wife Sarah for being such a wonderful mother to our almost 3 year old daughter and my biggest fan, Charlotte. Also the rest of my family for all the support this year. And Joe Boniferro and Ted Barnes for all the behind the scenes work they do with all the other sponsors that make this such a fun series to race in. Lastly, thanks to my Dad for all the help and guidance throughout the years. Without him, none of this would have been possible."

Harry Phelps
Finishing with a 8-8 win/loss record, Newark, New York's Harry Phelps talked about how that is usually not enough to finish in the top ten, let alone the top five. "With the new point system with double qualifying points I was able to make the top five by getting qualifying points at every race," said Harry.

In the eight races that counted for his season points, Harry averaged over 21 qualifying points per race.

Harry added, "The car I’ve used for most of the season and the past 30 years is a 1969 Nova with a 468 big block capable of 10.30's at 130 mph." Harry sold that car and finished the season in a 1977 Pinto with a 434 small block Chevy, which has run 8.78 at 153 mph.

"Racing with family can make for more chances to share any success, unless they end up in the other lane against you, which happened twice this year and ended with a 1-1 tie, both going .001 red against each other and a tie for fifth place in the final point standings. I’d like to give a special thanks to Kyle Neal and Royal Purple for supplying us with the best synthetic oil out there. It was an honor to be sponsored by Royal Purple this season. Congratulations to Jim Thomson for winning this year's Driver of the Year award."

He also thanked Ted Barnes and Joe Boniferro for their efforts along with Nicole Jablonski and Anastazie Boniferro for keeping the series running strong. "And lastly, thanks to my wife Audrey for all the help getting ready for all those road trips."

For more information on the most popular sportsman drag racing series in the country, visit http://www.tntsuperseries.com .

Last edited by Ted Barnes; 12-14-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Ted Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote