HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

We all know by now that what ever NHRA says is law. Makes no difference whether the call is correct or incorrect. Seems they would rather take it to the grave than admit they were wrong.

This first became obvious to me in the early to mid 1960's when Bill (Farmer) Dismuke bounced everyone that went through teardown with a Chevrolet '097' green strip solid lifter cam (270 & 283HP). Seems somewhere between GM & NHRA the wrong specs. got published. Even though a cam was gotten over the parts counter and run "out-of-the-tube", it was bounced. Dismuke, after a while at least, knew these guys weren't cheating. but wanted to make a point, ruling with blinders on. A lot of innocent racers (if there is such a thing) got hurt by the call that he knew was wrong.

The latest Turbo-Action Cheetah E-Shift for stockers ad in the Dragster shows that this exact same mentality still exists at the NHRA.

NHRA drew their line in the sand on this issue saying that all cars with fuel injection can use the E-Shift controller to automaticly shift and cars that came with carburetors, can not. Makes no difference if the cars original computers controlled the shifts or not.

The example used in the Turbo-Action ad is 1985 Camaro 305 fuel injection can use the E-Shift controller and 1985 Camaro carburetor can not. Neither car came from the factory with electronic shift.

Why would the fuel injection car be allowed an electronic shift and not the carbureted car? What happened to a level playing field?

Another example of how narrow minded NHRA can be.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

Bobby, you are right. When I ran the trucks, we used a 904, but it would have been ok to have the e-shift. I think there are tech meetings @ Indy. Now might be the time to send an email to tech, Len, or someone so that item might be addressed. I assume all the EFI GM cars already have this inasmuch as this was the original design. Does sorta seem to be a funny item.
Jeff Teuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

The E-Shift controller is an outside controller, which in my opinion does not have a place in Stock. If those computer-controlled cars can program their factory computer to handle the shifts, -=shrug=-, fine. Otherwise, pull the shifter yourself. It's more fun, anyhoo. If you want your automatic transmission to shift automatically, hands-free, then don't put a manual valve body in it. ;-)

They're fine for other classes where air/electric shifters are permitted. Sounds like a great product, like all of Turbo Action's stuff. This one's just not for Stock, in my opinion.

Just my $.02,
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

Bobby--I think your comparison is flawed-the NHRA of today is nowhere near as tough as the "Farmer" . He once tossed me out of a race for being less than 2 lbs. light on a valve spring.I certainly don't think he (Bill Dismuke)was a bad guy -it just was a different time and rules were not as flexable. As for the E-Shift--I don't think there is a performance advantage-but they do make a driver more consistant. Turbo Action has a great product that should be allowed in "ALL" stock classes not just the FI classes ---its just another case where racers need to write or E-mail their Division Director (and Tech Director) and voice their opinions so we can end up with a level field again.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

I don't have a dog in this fight other than having a TurboAction tranny in the car, but I would think that the E-Shift would be allowed in ALL combos because it could be considered a safety device! Maybe it should be brought up to NHRA in this aspect? Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Michael,
I'm not saying I don't agree with you with your stand on these deals in stock. I'm saying that if allowed for some, it should be allowed for all.

Jack,
You don't think there is a performance advantage, it just makes a driver more consistant. I understand what you are saying, but that in itself is a performance advantage.

Jim,
That's what the Turbo Action ad stressed. The car with the shift controller "is safer to drive in the air on a 9" tire" than the one without the controller.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I am with you Jim and Jack. Michael, how do you think the late Model Cars Transmission's were shifted from the factory? Yea i know, don't go there, we could put the Factory Computers back in and run just as fast. I guess everyone has his opinion, i don't think we should be allowed 2 steps and adjustable buttons either!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Len Imbrogno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff is correct. It is currently being looked at. Lets hear from stock racers on this one.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

>> The car with the shift controller "is safer to drive in the air on a 9" tire" than the one without the controller.

Okay, someone's going to have to explain that one to me.

>> Michael, how do you think the late Model Cars Transmission's were shifted from the factory? Yea i know, don't go there, we could put the Factory Computers back in and run just as fast.

You have aftermarket computers to handle engine management. If those aftermarket computers handle the shifting, too, fine. I see absolutely no reason why E-Shifts need to be in Stockers, *particularly* in cars that did not come with computer-controlled transmissions.

>> I guess everyone has his opinion, i don't think we should be allowed 2 steps and adjustable buttons either!

I agree.

When Stock becomes a "let go of the button and hang on" class, I won't lose interest, because I will still be footbraking and shifting myself. I enjoy *driving*.

$.02,
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Exclamation Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

Len since you asked, here it is my opinion and mine only.

Yea, it is a safety device. One can always pull the safety card. I don't believe it is needed for safety anymore than the new F bodys needed 4 wheel discs. I recall seeing a post on here that was a real tear jerker. Probably made NHRAs lawyers change the disc brake rule right there. It was something about a racers daughter needing those disc brakes to keep her safe because of the disc/drum setup not being adequate. Of course, if safety was the only concern, the stock 4 wheel disc setup would have been just fine. Now I say that and I too have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 66 nova. I put them on since they were lighter and that makes me quicker. Don't paint everything in safety just to push the desired performance piece through. I bet the wusso/autoo shift is more about consistancy than safety if we really want to talk about it. I am waiting for someone to ask for remote control next.

Leaving for Indy. Good luck to all. Jim.