HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: 1973 Nova I/SA Chasing the Dream

#1 rule in buying a used racecar. (and over the years I have bought a 100 or so) Make them meet you at the track and prove it will run the numbers before handing over the cash. Unless it is just so cheap that it doesn't matter if it breaks.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2370 View Post
Sorry about your issues but it brings me to a question. Now I am not trying to talk bad about anybody but...........what is with the "car runs so and so" , you buy it and can't even get it to run the index. I am facing the same thing except I have to buy a trans and converter because what I got won't run the index and it's the th350 with 2.52 gear and 4200 flash converter that's in it. It doesn't make since. Sorry to hijack your thread.
I hear you on this. As far as Tony's advice on only buying after it ran. True but late. Next time will definitely make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do. But I disagree with the idea of, "unless it's cheap enough that it doesn't matter if it breaks". I don't care if it's a street car nobody spends money for a running car and doesn't care if it becomes a roller. No matter how much or how little.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #13
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyle View Post
I hear you on this. As far as Tony's advice on only buying after it ran. True but late. Next time will definitely make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do. But I disagree with the idea of, "unless it's cheap enough that it doesn't matter if it breaks". I don't care if it's a street car nobody spends money for a running car and doesn't care if it becomes a roller. No matter how much or how little.

Actually, I do all the time, lol. I buy and part out a lot of race/performance cars. Helps to support my drag racing. Usually the cars are worth more parted out than their value as a running car. If you buy it for what the roller is worth, everything else is gravy.

In your case, I completely understand and sympathize with your disappointment. I was not trying in any way to make light of it, so please don't think that. I thought your original story was very cool, and I am looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
rboyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2370 View Post
Sorry about your issues but it brings me to a question. Now I am not trying to talk bad about anybody but...........what is with the "car runs so and so" , you buy it and can't even get it to run the index. I am facing the same thing except I have to buy a trans and converter because what I got won't run the index and it's the th350 with 2.52 gear and 4200 flash converter that's in it. It doesn't make since. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Never trying to bash anybody either but facts are facts and your word is all that you have. After your gone your memory and reputation live on longer but those too fade with time. I've been honest in all dealings and maybe too forthcoming in some but I sleep well with my consience clear. Buyer be ware should be buyer be wary. Best of luck in sorting out your mess too.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
rboyle

Crank magged good and is polished some new parts ordered and on the way. The reassembly process should be starting soon and the disassembly process I hope is done.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

I hope everything works out for ya.

I would hate to do what you did & what happened to you when you finally raced it,
the car broke so many parts, that now you have to spend more to fix it.

I was fortunate enough when i "had mine built" from a street car, i had good people doing the work for me, that the car turned out Very Nice.

It's probably more costly building from scratch but you do know what you have from the start.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Sounds like you'll be up and running again in no time.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts

I gota give you all the credit for buying the car on the fly and racing it as is,put it this way,now start fresh and put the best combo in for your nova,,great dream chasing
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #19
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

It's always kinda of a crap shoot-whether to buy something already built or building your own from scratch. Money wise, it normally works out the same because what you buy often needs upgrades / fixes unless you really pay up. When I started on mine, I decided to go from scratch so I knew up front what I had and where I had tried shortcuts. Then any problems I had I could only blame on myself. Just a personal preference. Good luck with the car.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #20
rboyle

While scrambling to find parts I decided to dig through the garage and the two old motors sitting in there for over 35 years. Finding out one is a 1967 302 Camaro motor was almost better than finding the other one had the Corvette oil pan that someone else was selling for $800 was almost as nice. By the way the motors will be for sale soon.