HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH!

or what combos can be built to run under the index and still afford food!
Billy Nees here, Dwight Southerland and I are going to share a few combos that we feel could be built for $5000 or less (or more) if you already have a body. I'm sure that there are other combos and personal favorites so feel free to share. Please feel free to critique our choices but let us try not to argue as Dwight and I have better things that we could be doing.
I'll go first so that I can toss out a "no brainer" (sorry for the blind side Dwight).

1982 Mustang with 2V 302/157/162.
I think at 162 factor any 2V 302 could go under the index but this one was overlooked by NHRA when they defactored the 2V 302 combos.
Big 2150 2V
Marine cam w/ .419/.443 lift
Aluminium intake
The 82 bodys all break in the mid 16s so they're all O/P/Q cars.
Hardest part to find will be the intake as it's specific to the car and were pretty much the first thing taken off and replaced with a 4V intake.
C4s are easy to come by and on our budget could be used with a fresh rebuild and a shift kit (and added to later as funds become available).
Stock 7.5 rear will work just fine with C4. Find junkyard Aerostar posi unit and check out 4X4 mags for gearsets (they are available).
Spend good money for good converter. I'd guess something that will flash to about 4300 to start. (could be the most expensive part you buy).
Scrounge for wheels but get good tires (I'm thinking 9X28 slicks on 8" wheels).
Cast piston short block is all thats needed as the motor will be making all of its power below 63-6500 rpm.Have the machine shop give the piston an extra thousandth of skirt clearance. Have the stock rods medium blasted and replace rod bolts. Mix and match the rods and pistons to get your best "balance" and "deck heights" (we can't afford a real "blueprint" job here, we can do that when we hit the Lotto). If crank needs to be cut then have it offset .013. Have the block honed with a plate even though it'll cost you (ring seal is important). If it's in the budget, get the block decked (make compression, it makes torque). I like nice, soft bearings (good old michigan 77s) and cheap,cast iron "rebuilders" rings (I like enginetech).
Get good valves and good valvejob.Don't get carried away with valvespring pressures (140 on seat will do). Get heads milled for correct chamber volumes (remember, compression!).
Don't get carried away with the cam! This motor won't spin anyway. Max valve lifts won't be that critical on a motor like this one. Find a cam with something in the neighborhood of 236 to 240 for duration @ .050
The only thing I would do to the suspension would be get the latemodel quad shock setup from a junkyard.
There! I built the car for you! I believe that anyone with some mechanical and tuning ability should easily be able to run under the P or Q index with this combo and although I didn't price it out, a good scrounge could get it done for under $5000 with some change for coffee!
Dwight, it would make a real fun stick car too with an 8.8 or 9" under it!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH!

Billy my long lost good friend.
Just a few hick ups in your proposed 82 Mustang dime rocket combo.

1) Only available as a stick from the factory. If NHRA accepts it as a automatic God bless.
2) Aerostars came with 8.8 rear ends. Look for 4x4 Ranger with 4 cylinder for 4.10 or even 4.30 gears with a posi 7.5.

It's funny how NHRA whacked the almost all the 302's when new (our 86 especially with a 15 bump before it ever turned a tire) yet they let that misrable BS Caddy get away with a rediculous 170 HP rating n S/SS and continues to do so. (No offense to my friend Bob Shaw)
This is why I feel zero remorse for anyone who has to race with a CJ or DP.

By the way Billy, I have the ultimate FoMoCo "dime rocket" stocker combo.

Last edited by Alex Denysenko; 07-01-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: Some "Dime Rockets" for the 4TH!

How about a pacer wagon with a 258? Somebody needs to get that combo whacked! Sorry Jim.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Denysenko View Post
Billy my long lost good friend.
Just a few hick ups in your proposed 82 Mustang dime rocket combo.

1) Only available as a stick from the factory. If NHRA accepts it as a automatic God bless.
Alex, yes they do!
2) Aerostars came with 8.8 rear ends. Look for 4x4 Ranger with 4 cylinder for 4.10 or even 4.30 gears with a posi 7.5.
OK, I stand corrected!

By the way Billy, I have the ultimate FoMoCo "dime rocket" stocker combo.
I know what it is but please, share!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Liked
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

85 Lincoln Mark VII LSC for U/SA.
302 TBI
Comes with a 8.8 and a posi.
Almost all Mustang parts will fit.
If I had the extra $4-5 grand and time we would build one in a second.
We probably have enough spare parts to get one under the index without touching the motor.
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

As mentioned by Alex, the 82 Mustang GT was stick only, as were all the 4 barrel carbed 83-85 5.0 Mustangs. (There were automatic 5.0 Mustangs and Capris available, at least in 84-85, but they used a throttle body injection, rather than carb.)Also, rather than fool around with the 7.5 rearend, the 8.8 is cheap & readily available, as they came in every 1986-93 5.0 Mustang. I regularily see Mustang 8.8s for sale in the $50.-100. price range, and the vast majority have Traction Lok, although a spool is preferable.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
As mentioned by Alex, the 82 Mustang GT was stick only, as were all the 4 barrel carbed 83-85 5.0 Mustangs. (There were automatic 5.0 Mustangs and Capris available, at least in 84-85, but they used a throttle body injection, rather than carb.)Also, rather than fool around with the 7.5 rearend, the 8.8 is cheap & readily available, as they came in every 1986-93 5.0 Mustang. I regularily see Mustang 8.8s for sale in the $50.-100. price range, and the vast majority have Traction Lok, although a spool is preferable.
NHRA accepts the 82 with auto.
Upon further review, it probably would be less expensive in the long run to go with the 8.8 and be done with it. It still would fit in the budget.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Okay, since I have already let the cat out of the bag on the other thread, I will start with my favorite, the '76 or '77 Camaro, '78 Camaro LT or '78 Firebird Formula, or '79 Camaro Berlinetta with a 305 2-bbl for U/SA. The pluses for this combination and the potential makes it a must look at in my opinion.

The engine is basically the same as the one Billy Lynn and Dean Oliver race in their Malibus in K & L. The only difference is the carb and a smaller intake valve (which may be a plus with the smaller carb!). Those Malibus run 11.80s consistently at 3250 lbs, so we can get a guage on the potential of the U combination from that. If you allow that the switch to a 2-bbl will chop a full second off and the added weight for U (3770 lbs. minimum) will slow by another .6 or so, the U combination should run mid 13s in a class with a 15.15 index. I see lots of potential there to be a competitor.

Then, consider that the 200 Metric or 200R4 is available and the car will be equipped with a GM 8.5" ten bolt. The 200 is a transmission of choice in lots of classes and the 8.5 is plenty strong enough with stock parts for this combo. The body has leaf springs so traction is easy and the plethora of available bolt-ons makes used parts easy to find. There have been several racers over the years chase combinations using the Rochester 2-bbl, so even the carb is not exactly an unknown.

I see lots of affordable potential in these combinations. I think the big problem for most people would be resisting the temptation to go overboard with the cosmetics and tricks that are available and applicable for the engine and car.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Dwight, I'd like to add that the combo in a 78 Malibu or MonteCarlo or even Grand Prix can run anywhere from P to T and although it would cost more to put in an 8.5 rear it would still make a nice combo. Also, these bodies could also be "updated" with the 4V rather easily at a later date.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Liked
Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Thanks for this thread ,guys. This will be fun.

I didn't think of this one, but I like it. Dirt cheap 75-76 Nova 2 dr body, 262 V-8 for T and U/SA.
This is the same engine combo as the Don Quinn/ Briane Philbrick Monza that will run in the high 12s in Q. Add the weight difference for U, and whatta ya got ?
Leaf spring 8.5 rear bolt in. Just about any SBC headers will work .You could even buy two sets (1,1/2 and 1,5/8ths and splice them together yourself...Sorry Billy... Okay ,get BNRC to do it for you). This combo is actually a lot easier than the Monza.

Oh and guys, don't be afraid of the budget built Metric 200 for light duty applications . Get yourself a Turbo action valve body or talk to Leo at Remac. Do a few tricks just like you would to a T350 ( full feed the direct drum, one or two frictions in the low/reverse) and you've got yourself a low gear set trans that'll last forever.