HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1150 dominator Questions

I currently have the 1150 off of my motor going through it,and have some questions,as all my experiance comes from mechanical fuel injection.

Sometime during this carb's life the throttle plates have been drilled with a .125 drill bit,(all 4 blades,side closest to each 's respective metering block) the secondary side has since been plugged with a small bolt and nut.
What does drilling the blades acomplish,or what is it a quick fix for that could have been taken care of in some other fashion?
The carb,from what I can find online came from the factory with 95 jets squared,no powervalves.I ended up the end of last year with a 4.5 powervalve in the primary side with 88 jets (i do run a vacuume guage in the car,at idle it makes 5 inches of vac,in gear.),and 98's in the secondary side with no powervalve,trying to clean the idle up.
It's soaking in mineral spirits overnight,but can anyone shed any light on things I need to look for when I begain reassembling it tommorrow?

Also,someone has drilled and tapped an 1/8th inch pipe plug behind the powervalve well,into the area that the linkage resides,but has no plugs in it.This area should be sealed by the gaskets shouldnt it?Why the holes,and no plugs?

WHat a great site.
Thanks for your time.
Bob
Bob Alberty Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1150 dominator Questions

Pictures of what I am trying to describe

the throttle blades,I have removed the bolt and nuts while cleaning

the holes behind the powervalves are my major concern,why they are drilled and tapped but had no plugs in them,so should I quit worrying about them and run it,or plug them?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Lou SG2340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The holes in the throttle blades are to fix an idle problem. On a race motor you shouldn't need them.

1150 don't come with power valves. I would block it off & jet it 95 or 96 square & see where you are .

The hole was probably drilled so the power valve could transfer fuel.

Not a carb expert, but this is what I think Lou
Lou SG2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Some 1150 Dominators DO come with power valves. ...The 80556 is one. ......Some builders use them to keep the car more drivable when enriching the idle circuit on a throttle stop carb.......The idle holes in the blades look a little big,but unless you cannot set the idle down to an acceptable speed leave them alone. ....If the idle cannot be set with them open ,replace the blades ,Dont plug them with a screw!....the screw will disturb the air flow past the booster,not to mention the concequences of one falling out! .....Replacement blades are available from many sources and are easy to replace. ....My newest carb I'm running uses a PV in the Pri side with a 10 # spread from pri to sec. on the jets. ...I have not run it on the track yet ,BUT it is absolutly the most responsive 1150 I've ever had! ..I'll find out how good it is in a couple of weeks at Atco. .......Tom ...............One last thought,unlike constant flow fuel injection,where the answers are usually universal, if you ask 5 people how to set up your carb ,chances are you'll get 5 different answers!

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 02-19-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This carb is a 7320,box stock calls for 95's squared,no powervalves.

I left the plugs out of the throttle body,(behind the power valve plugs)left the bolts and nuts that were in the secondary blades on the bench,sqaured the jetting at 98 (it's all i had on hand to make it square) I will get the 95's before I go out,and plugged both sides instead of power valves.

Started it tonight and got it warm,ended up with the A/F mixture adjustments out 1.5 turns each ( 4 corner ),which gave me the highest vacuume reading at 5 inches.

The throttle blades are pretty tight as I can not get a .004 feeler guage between the blades and the walls of the throttle body,which leads me to believe it is breathing through the .125 holes in the blades.

The idle varies from 1400 to 1100.To elaborate,if you whack it,after it comes down it is high,give it a few minutes and it drops,but it doesnt just come down clean,but idles pretty good once it does get down.

Thank you for your input,it still isnt perfect,but I do feel like I am closer than I was last year.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Bob, If you go on the Holley web site you can find a chart that lists the factory air bleeds for your carb.....I'd check to see if they have been changed in size ,especially the hi speed........ With all the other mods to the carb it's possible they have been changed as well. ...... Changes to the air bleeds can have a huge effect on jet selection.....The specific gravity of the fuel you're running will also dictate where you should go with the jetting. ....generally the higher the specific gravity the leaner you go with the jetting,but we're talking only 1 or 2 jet sizes .......Stay on the fat side to start ,better to look like a diesel on your first passes,than hurt a piston.......Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More questions about the same carburator,

It is an older 7320 without adjustable air bleeds, I bought new throttle blades from Chuck Nuyten, but they didnt want to discuss the carb because it is "only a two circuit"

My questions, if it idles through the pits, and is wide open against a chip on the tranzbrake, why would there be any need in an intermediate circuit?

Also, box stock jetting is 95 sqared, I currently have 100 squared in it, and it wants more. What are your opinions about putting power valves in the carb (the motor only pulls 4.5" at idle) say 8.5's so that they are always open, and lowering the main jets so I can get back some adjustability out of it as 100 jets are the biggest I own,or can you buy 100+ jet sizes, all I have found is the alky jets up around 130, and read somewhere that the alky jets were a different thread pitch? Or have I got something screwed up to need someting so far away from the factory jetting? I am running Sunoco 110 gasoline (110 octane) at 7.5 lbs of fuel pressure.

I set the throttle blades with a feeler guage to get them the same, then adjust front and rear idle speed screws the same, to keep it squared, and the four corner air fuel needles I keep sqared, all the way in then out about 1 1/2 rounds is where they are now for the highest vacume reading.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Bob,Check the size of the main circuit air bleeds, they should be .028". ....If they are larger, it will lean the carb. ........Also,you havn't said much about the engine....The relativly low octane fuel you are using brings up the question of the engine being over carburated...........If the engine /cam head combination does not produce enough air flow at the booster,the resulting poor signal will not pull adaquate fuel thru the booster. .....I've usually found this to be the case when jetting changes are 3-5 jet sizes above stock,and the car still shows lean. ..........Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Bob Alberty Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Tom,

The motor belongs to my sponsor, and it was bought 3rd person, It was all new, we did pull the pan looked at the bearings etc... but we only know what we were told about it. I will dissasemble it this winter to check, but what we have been told about it and the person is a reliable source, he has nice pieces.,before they freshened it he has using it for a nitrous streetcar shootout deal

477 big block chevrolet

10.2 compression,

Comp Cams http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=551&sb=2.

Edelbrock heads http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erf_rpm1.shtml

I didnt get the cam card till last week, had been setting the valves at .028, have since re-set them at the specs Comp calls for,.022 .024, made no differance in e.t.

Ignition is an MSD 6al,2 step,blaster coil,msd magnetic pick-up distributor at 36 degrees,(locked), running autolight 3935 gapped at .035

Staging it on a 4800 chip, shifts at 2.75 seconds into the run which is 6800, goes through the lights (1/4) at 7400, powerglide trans 1.76 low, 4.88 rear gear pulling 14x32's car weighs 3250 with me in it, runs 10.30's to 10.20's depending on the weather.

Personaly,I think the motor is lazy,it's consistant,but doesnt have the hit I think it should have say if you tried to do a chirp. Maybe Im just remebering my small block.

I will bring my guage pins home tommorrow from work and check the air bleeds.

Last edited by Bob Alberty Jr.; 09-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

That carb is too big for the motor specs you list and that is why it is lazy.....A 10-1 477 that runs 10.30 will go faster with a smaller carb. A 1050 would be about the maximum carb I would try to use on that engine/car combo.