HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Exclamation Illegal Street /drag racing TV reporting

Channel 2 CBS chicago news reporter ANN STATE just reported on the 10 pm 7/16 news about a drag race on a local street and people were killed/hurt--Please send an email to the station/Anne to correctly report the facts about an illegal activity---Bombard them with Emails please---Thanx Dick Ullrich Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #2
76 RACER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Illegal Street /drag racing TV reporting

FED...
Maybe a post on www.chitownracing.com may help. Take the time to read some of the moronic things that take place there. Its a wonder there arent more killed racing the streets in your area......
76 RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

I received a very nice reply shortly after the broadcast from Anne saying that she will pass my complaint along to her bosses. She went on to state that the police reported it to the news services as "drag racing" ---I have sent a email to the local Chief of Police to either meet with him o to explain the error of classifying this incident as drag racing and not as a "illegal high speed race" on the public hiway----We shall see..Will look at that site tonite when I get home from work--I'm sure it will be interesting nothing can surprise me anymore===
Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had that problem in Houston. Every time the news would report it as drag racing, I would write the station or paper. Never got one reply, but at least for now it's illegal street racing. don't know if I made a difference or how many people wrote, but it sure did feel good.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Angry Re: Illegal Street /drag racing TV reporting

A lot of major and local news sources paid attention last year (?) after a lot of us emailed them about the incident in Maryland where several people were killed by a car that I believe wasn't even involved in the street race but came up behind the crowd at high speed. Several internet and local headlines were changed afterwards. But apparently not everyone took notice or remembered! It. It will be an ongoing effort to educate more of them.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Don Fardie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: Illegal Street /drag racing TV reporting

We just had a similar incident up here last night in Ashland Mass, where Channel 5 of Boston reported the tragedy of a teenager dying as a result of Drag Racing. I wrote Channel 5 AGAIN in explaining the difference between the two and the negative publicity they give our sport of Drag racing when they categorize us with Illegal Street Racing. I’m hoping someday they will wise up and realize all they’re doing is hindering any efforts local tracks are doing in trying to get sponsorship to fund programs to get these kids off the street.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can assure all of you that by contacting the station or paper and POLITELY correcting their mistake,plus giving them a link to NHRA/IHRA will make a difference.But it has to be a combined effort from all of us.

It's up to us,the racers, to educate the general public when matters like these happen.Race tracks are lost over this type of reporting.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Keep writing the newspaper until they change their reporting. I did that with the Houston Chronicle until they reported it as street racing. Sadly, there were two young men killed last night here in Houston and the Chronicle reported it as street racing. Maybe they got the point.
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Also remember the reporters use information from the state in their stories,and if the ticketed offense is called "drag racing" that is the term they use.

For you folks in Chicago, it is how Canadians feel when sports reporters call the Blackhawks a "Hockey" team.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
FED 387
VIP Member

Bobby--Until they got rid of BILL cheapo Wirtz and his other son fired the one that had taken over ---The new guy is spending some $$$$$ advertising buying players and lo and behold actually putting the games on TV--It still ain't hockey but they are working up on it a little---But back to the subject at hand the local paper now called it "street racing" and the police charged them with "drag racing" so now it is time to get the tracks (about 6-8) in Illinois alone plus Indiana-wisconsin-Iowa along with NHRA/IHRA to put the pressure on the legislators to change the wording of the law from drag to Street----Comp 387