HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,040 Times in 272 Posts
Exclamation The Pros are getting a 25% raise

The new 2009 NHRA Nation Event schedule has been published, along with new that the professional categories are getting as much as a 25% raise in payouts. Place your bets on what the Sportsman categories get...............
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Bill Belden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: The Pros are getting a 25% raise

I think the question would be how much the entry fee will go up to pay for their raise
Bill Belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Belden View Post
I think the question would be how much the entry fee will go up to pay for their raise
I'm betting we have to pay for it
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Smitty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
I'm betting we have to pay for it
That is an excellent question to ask the Sportsman Council; are the sportsman racers getting a raise in purse as did the pro's and are the sportsman racers going to have another round of raises in their entry fee's to support the pro catagories purse raise.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

It wouldn't suprise me, and I won't like it. That is, however, who they come to see. Not us. The stands empty when we run, even Pro Stock.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,040 Times in 272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
It wouldn't suprise me, and I won't like it. That is, however, who they come to see. Not us. The stands empty when we run, even Pro Stock.
That's because NHRA does NOTHING to promote us. And worse, WE do nothing to promote OURSELVES. There's so much division in the ranks we can't get together and promote ourselves, everyone is too worried about what is in it for them, and how they can get over on someone else, if anything doesn't serve them above all else, they won't tolerate it.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Bill, I truely hope you are a false prophet on this one. ........But it would'nt suprise me if any increase we might see in our payout will be offset by an increase in entry fees. .......Tom
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

This may not be a popular but!! Compared to NASCAR. The Coke Zero 400 Race.
Greg Biffle came in last and was paid $91,612 the worst payment was a Little over $83,000.00. First place paid over $315,000.00. NHRA top fuel and funny car will now get $50,000.00 for winning. They don’t get paid a lot for what it cost to run one. Yes they have big money sponsors but there dropping like flies. And your right the only increase the sportsmen will get is in the entry fee. Unfortunately I believe our sport is going to go through some massive changes in the next few years. With the economy in the condition it’s in, the Car counts will continue to drop, in all categories. Sorry for gloom and doom but it is what it is. Let’s all Hope it will get better.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Been #@$%ing about payout for years. I realize it's almost impossible to get a couple hundred (sportsman) to agree on anything but, look at the pro's. They've got maybe 40-50 teams and they can push their weigh. I agree, sportsman racing should be advertised more. One thing that really would help fans is a good explanation of how handy-cap (HC) racing is done. I know Bob Frey tries to explain it over the PA sometimes but, usually you can't hear it anyway. When was the last time you saw (HC) explained in the ND? How about a program from a National meet?

I know this might sound crazy (no I'm not drinking or smoking anything right now) but has anyone thought about legalizing gambling at the races? Ya ever been to the horse races? Look at the excitement it creates and the cash cow it feeds.

Last edited by Terry Cain; 07-10-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Terry Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCain View Post
Been #@$%ing about payout for years. I realize it's almost impossible to get a couple hundred (sportsman) to agree on anything but, look at the pro's. They've got maybe 40-50 teams and they can push their weigh. I agree, sportsman racing should be advertised more. One thing that really would help fans is a good explanation of how handy-cap (HC) racing is done. I know Bob Frey tries to explain it over the PA sometimes but, usually you can't hear it anyway. When was the last time you saw (HC) explained in the ND? How about a program from a National meet?

I know this might sound crazy (no I'm not drinking or smoking anything right now) but has anyone thought about legalizing gambling at the races? Ya ever been to the horse races? Look at the excitement it creates and the cash cow it feeds.
I learned this from horse racing and in short, no it cant be done and shouldn't be done. If gambling were involved then that would mean the state would have to get involved on a very strict basis. You'd probably have to register yourself and any crew members with the state. Pit access for the fans would be out the window (i.e. can't let anyone near the cars so that there won't be any sabotage). With all the extra security staff and race officials they'd have to hire to monitor everything it would cost $1,000 to enter an event.

I'm ok with the $2 window though.