Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Steve Mtt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New Super Stock classes added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
How did you come up with that?
91 Civics aren't in the class guide, therefore you don't have a factored hp rating.
Just did some math with the rated hp of my car and weight, came up with 20:1 which would fall into DF/S I presume. Its just a rough guesstimate to get a idea of the possibilities IF my car was added to the approved car list ect. I am new to this so thank you to the forum for explaining stuff . NHRA may just keep all the new sport compacts in their own class separate from the other classes, who knows? After getting my hands on the rule book I am guessing I will lose a easy 2 seconds complying with the rules, seeing as so many engine parts will need to be approved and I am sure that wont happen in time for 09. I would rather be safe than sorry with my combination.

The last thing I would want to do is come in and race in the wrong class/ wrong index ect, and disrespect the heritage of the class and the guys who have been working on their setups for year. I don't think there will be a huge "import invasion" due to the drastically different rules between current import racing and these NHRA index classes. These cars have a ton of money invested in them and I don't see them removing 80 percent of already owned parts in order to comply with the rules. Its just two completely different worlds right now.

Last edited by Steve Mtt; 07-20-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Steve Mtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Steve,
I wouldn't do anything until NHRA post rules and info. I'm just guessing but, I'd say they will run the ALL-Motor imports, cubic inch to weight instead of rated HP to weight. They run the modified cars that way now and they also run Super Stock.

Last edited by Terry Cain; 07-20-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: OPPS
Terry Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
Steve Mtt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had feeling that would be a possible option, in the sport compact arena there is 3 different allmotor classes.

Pro Stock:3/4 chassis, fiberglass body components, methanol, drysumps ect Range 9.1's to10.0's
Pure Street: Motor swapped cars, kind of like putting a BBC in a street monza Range 11.0's-12's
Street Stock: Stock motor for chassis, unlimited options changing motor components 12.0-13.0's

A CU/Weight ratio may be the only way to get the street cars involved without massive amount of written rules or drastic motor changes.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: New Super Stock classes added

I truly believe you are both correct. TCain is right when he says to do nothing with your car right now. As you can see Steve by many of the posts and threads just this week, things change with the NHRA depending on how the wind blows! I also would like to say that I applaud your attitude Steve. Mutual respect and an open mind will get you far in our form of racing. Once again I offer you all the help I can with your assimilation into Stock and Super Stock racing! All you have to do is ask. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Steve
Second what jim said if you need help just ask.

Dennis FWD Stock.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #26
Tim Kish

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Steve - take a look in the Super Stock section of the rulebook, the Modified Stock subcategory. SS/GS is a FWD only classification that is failrly similar to the Pure Street / Street Stock rules, the main difference is car weight. Where the Sport compact classes had just a couple min weight, SS/GS is 18lbs/cu in for everyone - run a bigger motor, car gets heavier.

When you are looking at the rules for Stock eliminator you have to remember that the engine specs for stock outline that the engine is effectively stock compression ratio, non-ported cylinder head and stock unported intake with stock TB - you won't be running low 13's with that in any NA Honda (or anything else NA FWD).

As the other guys above stated, if you have questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #27
Steve Mtt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to two speed shops around me and both were sold out of 08 rule books so i will be ordering it off NHRA.com I did have a conversation with the one owner and he explained allot of stuff to me. The SS/GS class looks very promising for my current car since it is a modified class. Thank you to multiple members who PM'ed me with the SS/GS class suggestion it seams like a very viable option for fwd sport compacts in 09. Cant wait to get my hands on rule book and a reply from NHRA on some questions.

Truly Thank You to everyone on here for comments, information and PM's. Its nice to know most racers are cut from the same cloth no matter what they drive.