HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Exclamation Motorsports Recreational Vehicle Bill HF2447

This was an interesting mention from Ernie Saxton's article in ND. I looked it up online.

Anyone heard of this? I like some of it. Some parts, I am not sure of. I actually am ok with the higher annual plate fee for an RV/ Toter type deal. I also like the 85 ft overall length. The fuel in the fuel cell of a racecar being allowed is good, although it says that the cell must be sfi? I don't recall an sfi sticker on my alum cell.

Anyway, at least they are taking a swing at some changes.

Here is a link to the bill if you would like to review it. Now keep in mind, if you like or don't like it, you should be contacting your senator to tell them how you feel. Politicians only will listen to their constituants. They all have e mail. I would say to put the main message title as: HF2447 vote yes (or no, or change proposal,etc).
Then, put the details in the body of the letter.

We know the chances are real good the average senator will not read any of the bill, so it is possible to pursuade them to vote and vote in a way that will help if they see enough e mails from racers.

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Legisl...ed/HF2447.html
Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Motorsports Recreational Vehicle Bill HF2447

Jim, Thanks for posting

Is this only for Iowa ?

I don't understand the fuel part, it is currently legal to transport a car with gas in the tank I believe. Is this about gas in jugs and cans ? maybe I didn't read it correctly

Dave
Old 05-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Dave, I don't know yet for sure. I do know there are efforts to try and create some consistancy with the entire process. I think the problem with fuel cells was that they were not considered when the original legislation was enacted. Fuel cells are certainly better than a standard fuel tank.

I think there needs to be middle ground on some vehicles that don't push sportsman into professional driver status also.

This looks like an attempt to do this. Maybe Jeff Teuton can chime in on this:-).
Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
Jim, Thanks for posting

Is this only for Iowa ?

I don't understand the fuel part, it is currently legal to transport a car with gas in the tank I believe. Is this about gas in jugs and cans ? maybe I didn't read it correctly

Dave
A racer was sited for hauling fuel across State lines in a "non-DOT approved container" A fuel cell in the race car. The fine was $4,000.

Current issue of National Dragster pg.30

Dale
Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Its funny as I was just talking about this at Maple Grove this weekend. NHRA SHOULD be involved in this.

Look around the pits at most of the sportsman operations. NHRA needs to GET involved in this - before it does blow up!

And a FYI - My stuff is under legal length , DOT# , IFTA, etc... I don't need any crap on the way to/from the racetrack no matter where I'm going. And Yes I do pull across the scales...
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
denbreeden

Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

One of the NSS racers was pulled over on his way to St. Louis last Friday, pulling a 24' trailer with his pickup. The Illinois officer wanted to know if he had any stickers on his car. They made him drive back to the scale house, weighed him and then looked at his car. His car had no stickers so they let him go but the Illinois State Police did call Doug Duell about the racer because Doug's name was on the flyer for the race. These states all need money so they will try anything in the name of "safety".

Dennis Breeden
denbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Dennis, sticker would have cost him some money? I wasn't aware we were supposed to go across scales. Motor homes too?

Sounds like we are supposed to drain our fuel cels if crossing state lines also?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
nssracer

Liked 205 Times in 22 Posts

The State police officer that called me said if the race car had any company decals on it that would be advertising and then a commercial operation. A stroke of luck Fred Rader's race car is the cleanest 63 Dodge you will ever see and has no stickers on it. Any other racer would most likely had some stickers on there car and would have been in a heap of trouble. Fred preregister for the event and the cop kept trying get me to tell him a company name that Fred used to register. Fred is a retired house painter. This is a case of the police trying drain this fine man of his cash while he is having a little fun racing. He is lucky he got away without a ticket. Someone does need to do some lobbying to our Federal and state governments on this matter. These pits at these races are going to be a ghost town if you can't tow a race car to the track without fear of getting a big fine.

Doug Duell
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,432 Times in 1,952 Posts

We are skipping all races in Chicago this year!

Good luck to the allstars.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you have living quarters in your trailer it is considered a second residence and is protected under 4th amendment. Tell them to get a warrant if they want to look inside.