HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #381
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Yes, trans. crossmember and lower steering shafts for the column.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #382

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I looked for months for a nice dashpad, couldn't find one. They do however make abs plastic covers but I wasn't sure about that, we filled the hole (plastic epoxy) then sanded it, then we tried to cover it with vinyl. Well I got it with sort of a backing on it ( maybe it's the wrong stuff) so it wouldn't form to it and it looks pretty bad. Well we did it together so it's good with me and we put it in.

What about flocking the dash after you got it all smoothed out? That would reduce reflections on the inside of the windshield too.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #383

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Autumn came down after school and we worked on seat bracket location, well it looks like a smaller seat would be better for us, the location is so far forward that this Kirkey seat will be very close to the roll bar on one side and the shifter on the other. This seat is the 17" wide version so I ordered a 15" wide one...
Yeah, having been the father of a 16 year old daughter, I would have guessed the narrowest one too.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #384
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
Yeah, having been the father of a 16 year old daughter, I would have guessed the narrowest one too.
With high back racing seats like those pictured, Autumn is going to have a heck of a time seeing the other car....a point to consider when you are a middle of the pack...H,I, J, Stocker....Never underestimate visibility....just another reason I prefer factory type seats in a Stocker...
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #385
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
I was thinking of putting my big butt in it on occasion so we see how thats working out
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #386
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
With high back racing seats like those pictured, Autumn is going to have a heck of a time seeing the other car....a point to consider when you are a middle of the pack...H,I, J, Stocker....Never underestimate visibility....just another reason I prefer factory type seats in a Stocker...
You're absolutely correct... it's been discussed to go back to a factory seat. If visibility is too much of an issue, we will. The side of the seat is already giving us issues with shifting and her elbow running into the seat.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #387
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

I hate days like today, work all day and nothing seems to get done! Autumn and I had a talk this week about our late start to the season and we've decided to skip a few things we are doing to the car so we can actually get to the track sooner than later. We're quickly running out of grade point opportunity. So today, we put the trans. back together, put the column back together and installed that, we also finished up the gauges, I was waiting on a set of the new mounting rings because the old Auto Meter brackets weren't working. We had so much crap laying around the shop we couldn't move so we did a big cleanup this afternoon, maybe tomorrow we'll get a good bit done to the car.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #388
4spdJohnny

Liked 118 Times in 41 Posts

Hey Todd and Autumn, have enjoyed following your build! Just a note on my experience with a stick shift car and Kirky seats. When I first installed mine in my Road Runner last summer it felt like I was for sure going to be banging my elbow on the seat when pulling 2nd and for sure 4th. But it has been a none issue and has been totally comfortable driving the car and wouldn’t go back now. And I had ran the same factory buckets for over 20 years. Also another thing with the kirky seats ur “held” in place so much better. With the stock seats and my belts so tight I could hardly breath I’d still bounce around on a hard launch etc. with the kirky seat feels much more held in place and can “feel” what car doing better. Anyway just thought I’d share! Keep up the good work😜👍
4spdJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #389
Dave Gantz

Liked 219 Times in 114 Posts

Just my unsolicited vote: Don't cut any corners just to get out this year! Good things take time.
Dave Gantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #390
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4spdJohnny View Post
Hey Todd and Autumn, have enjoyed following your build! Just a note on my experience with a stick shift car and Kirky seats. When I first installed mine in my Road Runner last summer it felt like I was for sure going to be banging my elbow on the seat when pulling 2nd and for sure 4th. But it has been a none issue and has been totally comfortable driving the car and wouldn’t go back now. And I had ran the same factory buckets for over 20 years. Also another thing with the kirky seats ur “held” in place so much better. With the stock seats and my belts so tight I could hardly breath I’d still bounce around on a hard launch etc. with the kirky seat feels much more held in place and can “feel” what car doing better. Anyway just thought I’d share! Keep up the good work😜👍
Thanks John, Hopefully we'll have the seats in it next weekend so we can see how she feels. The whole reason for the seats were for safety.