HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Hey Ford Techs! 2005 5.4L Ford striped spark plug

did the repair kit on a ford lightning p/u and no problems and it was my bosses kid who owned it and he was hard on cars and trucks and as you know these have a blower

gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
sugar1366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff-
NAPA sells a repair kit that comes with a self tapping plug adapter that converts it to a HT series Autolite plug (used on late model Mustangs).
It also comes with the plug and a shorter plug boot (plug sits higher with the adapter). The kit is reasonable in price(under $100) and is something that many shade tree mechanics have bought from us and given positive feedback. I'll post the part # tomorrow when I get to my store.

Eddie Bolton
sugar1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Napa also sells an Improved design Champion plug for this problem. stock #7989
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Jamie Greening

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heli coil makes a kit to address the problem with the half thread plugs. Used it many times and I rent it out to other mechanics in town. Everybody that uses it loves it and cant believe how easy it is to use.
Jamie Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

I think the NAPA # is 770-3223 its called Sav-a-thread--- you end up with a M14-1.25 thread size when ya get done---better double check but thats the number I remember-----you hafta use a different size(diameter) spark plug too when ya get done---comp
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #16
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Turned out the fault code for distributor was actually the spark plug was bad, somehow it lost the electrode. Not the ground strap, the electrode. That explained that problem.
Apparently the plug was loose also. That caused some carbon build up around the threads. So the mechanic tried to tighten the plug and felt something wasn't right (this was Sunday afternoon). So Monday morning he consulted the TSM on spark plug r&R (imagine a TSM on R&R spark plugs!) which I also found online Sunday night.
Engine should be warm, not hot.
spray Ford solvent down the spark plug tube.
Let soak.
Loosen spark plug 1/4 turn.
spray more solvent.
Let soak.
Lather, rinse, repeat...
Once he got the plug out he saw the plugs were intact. Plug replaced. Parts and labor were free under warranty from the shop.

This has been a very good vehicle as it has not cost me any money except maintenance and wear items for almost 115K miles. I change the oil every 5K with synthetic and have followed all the prescribed maintenance intervals. I just spent about $1500 on all the air-ride but if this was a standard suspension vehicle I would be on my second set of shocks by now (which would still be cheaper than air-ride). The left door regulator went out a few months ago (on our E-150 also, same week!). It still has the original trans and rear end which I'm not confident I could say about a 1/2 ton GM product with 115K on it (and I'm not the easiest guy out there). I consistently get around 16 MPG in city / freeway driving, rarely dips into the 15 MPG zone and if all freeway would be 17-18 MPG and that's with 3.73's.
I do not like the "tappet" noise but everything I've researched says it's an inherent problem (why?). I wonder if that is also an issue on all Ford modular engines. My 5.4L 2V E-150 with 100K on it doesn't have that issue and I don't hear it on every Mustang out there.

FYI - my research on the heli-coil fixes is be careful the insert is the same material as the cylinder head. Some are stainless and are not the same heat exchange and can cause grounding problems with thermal expansion differences?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
StripeHOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen that before!! Was it the platinum on the electrode that fell off?
StripeHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes...
Funny thing is, it hasn't run this smooth at idle for a long time. When I had the plugs changed back in August, it was an attempt to get it to smooth out along with injector cleaner, fuel filters, etc.
So my WAG is the plug was bad from day one. I'm already seeing about 1 MPG increase in similar driving conditions.

Where I got hosed is when I took the truck in with 48K on the odometer, just before it ran out of warranty. The Ford dealer service advisor told me there was a recall on the plugs and they would all be changed under the recall. So when I changed the plugs at a little over 100K miles, I thought it was the second set of plugs. Wrong. The plugs pulled out were the originals. So some Ford tech flagged Ford for the hours, probably turned in some plugs that were in his tool box and I went home thinking I was set for another 50,000 + miles.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
sugar1366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The NAPA part # that I was refering to was 600-3248. Anyone interested should look it up at NAPAonline.com. You can see a picture of it after you enter the part # in search. The kit is slick and can get you out of a bind in a hurry.

Eddie Bolton
sugar1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Hey Ford Techs! 2005 5.4L Ford striped spark plug

While not really a Ford guy, I recently have acquired some experience with these things, mostly in Ford Expeditions, F150 and F350 pickups. The 5.4 isn't exactly the hardest pulling thing you ever drove, especially in an F350. We only had one blow out a spark plug, and it went back to the dealer on warranty. I work for the City of Los Angeles Department of General Services, Fleet Services division. What we have are an epidemic of engine misfires caused by antifreeze and water getting on the coils, migrating down the spark plug well, collecting there and shorting out the secondary ignition, especially on the passenger side cylinder bank. This is caused by failure of the connectors on the two heater hoses.Coolant leaks under pressure from these points and drips directly onto the coils. The yellow light comes on, the SCAN tool comes out, and the P0300 Engine Misfire codes are displayed, by cylinder.The first time one of the guys had to tune one up, he was screaming bloody mayhem and murder at it. That's the most difficult to work on truck I ever have seen. I had to replace an engine in a 2003 F350 with a new crate engine, and that got the award in the shop as being the year's nastiest job . There's a secret warranty on the head threads, but they obviously don't want you to know that so they can get paid twice for it. Who else but a dealer??
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote