HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #71
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Hooray!

I hope this post started with a 55 gallon drum since everyone is taking a piss in it. There are several posts from Dan Fahey about Pure Stock. Lots of pissing and moaning about the class entering NHRA.. And boy, these comments seems to be calling for that class.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #72
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

jim mantle .... turbo glide has two planetaries and a direct drive .... how could it not be 3 speed .... low gearset was billed as GRADE RETARD for going downhill , hence the GR on the shift plate...

also had the twin convertor ....
my dad said its downfall was pumps inability to maintain enough pressure to keep slippage down so they were junk after 30-40,000 miles

captain
Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #73
Barry Polley

Liked 546 Times in 226 Posts

second link....

http://srmncrauto.blogspot.com/2015/...nsmission.html

Last edited by Barry Polley; 04-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #74
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Darts View Post
I hope this post started with a 55 gallon drum since everyone is taking a piss in it. There are several posts from Dan Fahey about Pure Stock. Lots of pissing and moaning about the class entering NHRA.. And boy, these comments seems to be calling for that class.
Stock became Super Stock without the unlimited high lift cam!
Todays Stocker run quicker and faster than yesterday’s Super Stockers with less lift!
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #75
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,606 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Darts View Post
Delusional Dan
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #76
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 226 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS340 View Post
Hooray for some I guess. Might as well spread the joy. Original transmissions, original rearends, Roller rockers, Bee hive springs, 375/396 pistons. I'm sure the list could grow like wild fire.
I'm alright with the intake and it actual effected me personally. But try and remember that money was wasted here. As my Dad always told me. "If you have nothing good to say. Keep it to yourself."

Paul Haszlauer
?/SA 7019
Paul… 375/396 Pistons? Please tell me more. MB
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #77
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,454 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAURICE BLENDHEIM View Post
Paul… 375/396 Pistons? Please tell me more. MB
Opening a can of worms...

With the current camshafts in used, there is no way the valves will clear the piston dome. Many years ago, in the 1900's, a racer asked me to stop by his home to check why his new Crane Cams Stocker cam would not clear his pistons.
He believed he was doing something wrong. After checking the cam, the cam was not the problem; it was the piston domes. After making a few phone calls, I learned many were having their pistons flycut to be able to run the cams.
Having compared the current approved pistons versus the original, and they are very different. I assume someone may have sent a modified piston to NHRA to get approval of the alternate approved pistons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	396-engine-build-piston-dome.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	44662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original-Set-GM-3881456-65-69-L-78-396-375-HP.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	44663  
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #78
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post

With the current camshafts in used, there is no way the valves will clear the piston dome. Many years ago, in the 1900's, a racer asked me to stop by his home to check why his new Crane Cams Stocker cam would not clear his pistons.
He believed he was doing something wrong. After checking the cam, the cam was not the problem; it was the piston domes. After making a few phone calls, I learned many were having their pistons flycut to be able to run the cams.
Having compared the current approved pistons versus the original, and they are very different. I assume someone may have sent a modified piston to NHRA to get approval of the alternate approved pistons.

Huh, that's weird, because a friend of mine used to run the approved TRW L2242F30 pistons with a Lunati stocker cam and no issues. This would have been back in the early to mid 1980's. They had unmodified top domes and his heads were the #840 castings IIRC.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #79
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,454 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Huh, that's weird, because a friend of mine used to run the approved TRW L2242F30 pistons with a Lunati stocker cam and no issues. This would have been back in the early to mid 1980's. They had unmodified top domes and his heads were the #840 castings IIRC.
In the mid 1980's they still checked duration and overlap. After changing the rules allowing any duration and overlap, everything changed. The lobes, duration and overlap changed.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #80
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post

Yepper.......That's how it happened !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote