HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default enclosed trailers

I'm thinking about buying my first enclosed trailer and wondering if a V nose or round nose style towes better/easier. Are they worth the extra expense?
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: enclosed trailers

Going to depend on what you're pulling it with to some extent...if tow vehicle has a big "signature" such that air doesn't wrap around it and then hit the trailer then the benefit is lessened. Mounting cabinets in a V nose trailer is a challenge as well. It'll be interesting to see if anybody responds with a direct comparison. I know pulling a 24 Ft Pace with a Dodge dually with camper top usually yielded about 11.5 MPG and pulling a 28 Ft Airstream Travel Trailer usually yielded ~1.5 MPG better.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

If you can swing it, aluminum makes much more difference than a V nose.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Think you're right Ed, in many cases you can also lesson the overall tongue weight, which is important if you're pulling with a SUV, 1500 or even 2500. The Airstream forum is awash with dire warnings about overloading your rear axle and overall GVW and even tire ratings. We racers seldom even mention it. Took me 5 trips across the CAT scales to get the weight bars and axle loadings balanced. I like the looks of ATC's new Raven line of aluminum trailers, only a one year warranty but significantly better priced. FYI that the mileage I gave was at equal weight for the car trailer vs. the Airstream.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I have one of each.
Pros and cons both ways.
Since I cannot quantify the gas savings results versus both types of trailers, I have observed a few things.

The v nose does not allow mounting a generator up front, and the extra space inside from a v nose in minimal.
I understand some v noses can be ordered with an extra 2 foot length in the tongue. That would help.
Without the extra tongue length, the weight distrubution bars are a pain to mount on the frame rails.

If a truck has a topper, I believe it might be more beneficial than a v nose. No data to prove that tho.

My gas crew cab gets 8.5 mpg pulling a loaded enclosed and 9.5 mpg not towing anything. So, not much room there to quantify any results.

Just my observations.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

If you're towing with a pickup or Suburban, the aluminum weight savings is worth the extra money in fuel and wear and tear.
Years ago when I towed with a 4mpg Suburban ,I tried all the gimmics to lower drag .,skirts,bubble on the front of the trailer, ect.
Best improvement came from the roof mounted air deflector,once I found the sweet spot.
But when I got rid of over a 1000# with my first aluminum trailer , I suddenly picked up 1 1/2 mpg
Dont overlook the drag caused by unnecessary extra height. ...An extra foot or so of added height can add a LOT of drag .
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
jmcarter
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
If you're towing with a pickup or Suburban, the aluminum weight savings is worth the extra money in fuel and wear and tear.
Years ago when I towed with a 4mpg Suburban ,I tried all the gimmics to lower drag .,skirts,bubble on the front of the trailer, ect.
Best improvement came from the roof mounted air deflector,once I found the sweet spot.
But when I got rid of over a 1000# with my first aluminum trailer , I suddenly picked up 1 1/2 mpg
Dont overlook the drag caused by unnecessary extra height. ...An extra foot or so of added height can add a LOT of drag .
Agree Tom, and if you're towing with a diesel and tow around the peak torque RPM the extra weight doesn't seem to matter that much.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
offroadr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
I like the looks of ATC's new Raven line of aluminum trailers, only a one year warranty but significantly better priced. FYI that the mileage I gave was at equal weight for the car trailer vs. the Airstream.
I have looked into the Raven as well. It seems 24ft is as long as they go though.
offroadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I love my 24' ATC. Has it four years now. My old 454" 3/4 ton Suburban can't tell it's harder to tow than my old steel open trailer. Pulled a steel Pace once that made it sweat. LOL
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

There was a big discussion on yellowbullet and the consensus seemed to be that a V-nose hurt rather than helped. Frontal area matters; getting extra height in particular increases drag. My 24' is 8 1/2 ft wide but standard height and still gives noticeably more drag than the old open trailer with car, hurting mpg 1 or 1.5 more, even empty. In fact, putting a car, etc. in the trailer doesn't make much difference at all, the 3800 lb. trailer with its frontal area brings about the decrease in mpg.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote