HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Tar Heel

Default Pro-Line enclosed trailers?

Does anyone own one of these? Here is the link:

http://www.pro-lineperformance.com/Pro-Line24.htm

The price is definitely right as I'm looking to buy my first enclosed trailer and would like to find a solid entry level model.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Pro-Line enclosed trailers?

NO-- but see if ya can get 5000 pond axles and 16 inch wheels--- with that you get bigger brakes heavy duty tires and less problems and worries about blow outs and handling too--- FED387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

they are great people to deal with.....down to earth. They used to be STORM trailer dealers and now they are carrying other brands as well as their own. I really like STORM trailers....they are a "medium" quality trailer with all the necessary things that make it road trouble free. Get the 16" wheels and the most expensive axle options you can afford and you will not be sorry. Road speed kills 15" wheels and should not be an option.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Tar Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport View Post
they are great people to deal with.....down to earth. They used to be STORM trailer dealers and now they are carrying other brands as well as their own. I really like STORM trailers....they are a "medium" quality trailer with all the necessary things that make it road trouble free. Get the 16" wheels and the most expensive axle options you can afford and you will not be sorry. Road speed kills 15" wheels and should not be an option.
They offer an upgraded wheel/tire package that includes 15" aluminum wheels with 225 radial tires for an additional $580 for all four wheels/tires but it appears you can't buy one of their trailers with 16" wheels. Should I just opt for the basic wheels and tires and when they wear out replace them with 16" wheels and tires from a local place? Our plan originally is to just do some local bracket and class racer until we get the car sorted out and then we'll travel more.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

the axle option to get 16" wheels is a 6 lug axle. You will probably find out the 15" deal is also a 5 lug axle, but I have seen 6 lug with 15" tires in rare cases. Move on to another supplier and get a 6 lug 16" wheel even if you have to leave the floor out. 15" tires at 65+ MPH in August road heat are rolling bombs. The revolutions kill the tire dead.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Tar Heel

I just checked with them again and to upgrade axles to #5200 is $600 and that requires 6-lug wheels which is another $680. So now instead of being $3900 it's $5200. However, the 6-lug wheel/tire upgrade with the heavier axles is still only 15" radial tires. Would I be able to, when those tires wear out purchase 16" 6-lug wheels with heavier 16" tires? Opinions?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Exclamation Re: Pro-Line enclosed trailers?

Buy the 5200 pound axles and whatever wheels they put on stock take em-FORGET THE dealer wheels they are rip off---then go look for a set of late model 6 lug GM SUV/Truck aluminum wheels also every boat /camper/ rv trailer uses them they are real easy to find !!!! for a $100-150 and swap the tires over---If you buy the 15 inch wheels I PROMISE YOU WOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!!! while you're at it get a roof vent or 2 keeps the trailer lots cooler and also allows light in when you go in real quick to get something --- if ya can swing it think about maybe getting a 28 footer-- you be surprised how quick ya run out of space with a 24 footer--speaking from experience here
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Tar Heel

I can't swap the tires over. If you "upgrade" to their 5200# axles for $600 you have to buy their 6-lug wheels for $680 which are 15". If I find another set of 16" wheels I'll have to purchase 16" tires too.

Is there another entry level but quality 24' enclosed trailer with 16" tires? I think that will be plenty long enough since I have a late-model Corvette which is relatively short.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Question Re: Pro-Line enclosed trailers?

tell em you dont want any wheels you will provide your own tires too--- ther gonna build the trailer with some kind of wheel/tire combo how else they gonna move it-- but ya want the 5200 pound axles---aske em how much he's gonna knock off for no wheels & tires---you can buy galvanized 16 inch 6 lug trailer wheels for less than $40 each-- tires bout $100 each yer gonna need a spare so ya need 5 wheels & tires 140 per wheel total of 700 +
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Tar Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
tell em you dont want any wheels you will provide your own tires too--- ther gonna build the trailer with some kind of wheel/tire combo how else they gonna move it-- but ya want the 5200 pound axles---aske em how much he's gonna knock off for no wheels & tires---you can buy galvanized 16 inch 6 lug trailer wheels for less than $40 each-- tires bout $100 each yer gonna need a spare so ya need 5 wheels & tires 140 per wheel total of 700 +
Thanks for the advice; I thought of that but wasn't sure if it would work. I've emailed the dealer to get the bolt pattern on the wheels and the tire size for the optional 15" tires so that I can match up a set of 16" tires. Where is a good place to buy trailer wheels? I purchase all of my tires for our vehicles from the local Discount Tire so perhaps I'll look there for the tires. Or is there a place that I can buy 16" wheels/tires as a package? Forgive me for all of the questions but I'm new to towing and don't want to drive 13 hours and show up with wheels/tires that don't fit. Ugh!