HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Default At home Powder Coat kits

Anybody ever try the kits that Eastwood and some others sell to do powder coating at home? I took some small parts to the guy I have used for years today. And I dont know whats going on with him. But for what he wanted I could send the stuff out to be chromed ($150 for just a alternator bracket other parts even higher). Next closest place is a hour away. I already have a old stove in the shop that I could use to bake the parts. By reading the comments online about some of these systems they work pretty good and the finish is good. Anybody have first hand experience with these.
Thanks
Rob

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 03-01-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I know my spelling and grammer sucks dont waste your time telling me
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: At home Powder Coat kits

let me check with my grandson--- he has been doing stuff lately for his motorcross buddies--- not sure what he is using but been told that "prep" is about 90% of having it turn out nice
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Ok thanks let me know
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

OK --Rob talked to my G'son --he has an Eastwood unit--- he highly suggested you get the dual voltage model-- reason being its only about $60 more and it allows you to do larger pieces he has done rims 18 inches in diameter but they quality wise didnt look like a smaller piece-he has the single voltage model--best way to prep stuff is to scuff it up although you can coat smooth/shiny parts--then clean it off with either acetone or denatured alcohol leaves no residue on the part and your ready to go-----he made a cover that fastens on to a household ELECTRIC oven door ---fastens on to the door when it is open keeps the heat in so you can do longer pieces---good luck Comp387
Old 03-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
OK --Rob talked to my G'son --he has an Eastwood unit--- he highly suggested you get the dual voltage model-- reason being its only about $60 more and it allows you to do larger pieces he has done rims 18 inches in diameter but they quality wise didnt look like a smaller piece-he has the single voltage model--best way to prep stuff is to scuff it up although you can coat smooth/shiny parts--then clean it off with either acetone or denatured alcohol leaves no residue on the part and your ready to go-----he made a cover that fastens on to a household ELECTRIC oven door ---fastens on to the door when it is open keeps the heat in so you can do longer pieces---good luck Comp387

Thanks for the tips. I got all of my stuff in from Eastwood on friday and found a old oven on craigslist. I used your tips and some from others too and coated my first parts today. They turned out very nice. Maybe even better than what I had been paying to have done. I am still working on a plan to make my oven bigger so I can do larger stuff. My buddy wants me to do a front axle for a micro sprint now that he has seen how my stuff turned out LOL. Thanks again for the help.
Rob
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I got all of my stuff in from Eastwood on friday and found a old oven on craigslist. I used your tips and some from others too and coated my first parts today. They turned out very nice. Maybe even better than what I had been paying to have done. I am still working on a plan to make my oven bigger so I can do larger stuff. My buddy wants me to do a front axle for a micro sprint now that he has seen how my stuff turned out LOL. Thanks again for the help.
Rob
Rob---if you need to remove powder coating for whatever reason you can use Acetone or gasket remover---takes it right off!!! Did you understand about the cover for the door???-- it is kinda hokey but it works !!!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Rob---if you need to remove powder coating for whatever reason you can use Acetone or gasket remover---takes it right off!!! Did you understand about the cover for the door???-- it is kinda hokey but it works !!!
I sort of got a idea of what you are writing about with the door extension. I am kicking around the idea of cutting the back off of two stoves and putting them together to make one stove. Or possibly three cutting the front and back off of the middle one and then I would have a door on both ends. I have not figured all of that out yet LOL. Right now I am just happy that I can do anything that will fit in a standard size stove. That covers about 95% of the stuff I have done. If you have a picture you could share of your door extension I would love to see it. My email is LMLamar70@yahoo.com.
Thanks again
Rob
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Will catch up with the G'son see if I can get some pix---Dick
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Got a couple of "industrial" powder coating places here in town. I have used them a lot 5 or more years ago. Their stipulation is have it blasted before you come in. Basic colors black or white (sometimes red) they will "slide" my parts in with an industrial run and just charge me a few ($5) for small parts. Excellent quality, but you have to go by their schedule. Going to try some more stuff soon and will let you know if things change.