HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Eddiejr2892

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default When you buy sunoco make sure it's not methanol

I have slept on this last night and wasn't going to say anything but I'm at Charlotte bought 5 gallons of 112 from sunoco, tried to make qualifying runs and car would not stay running
Thought fuel pump was bad , carb, ignition
Come to find out that gave methanol at the sunoco truck .
Yeah , I was mad , so I'm just saying check your fuel when you buy at truck
I'm not a whiner or never complain but I thought racers should be aware , it's a bad feeling , well I'm going to try my best this morning , eddie
Eddiejr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: When you buy sunoco make sure it's not methanol

Good luck
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Casey Miles

Liked 444 Times in 83 Posts

Save your receipt and call Sunoco racing fuel. I had something of the same and got a check for $2500. On my instance the fuel pump was marked cam2 and it was gt100. It's worth the call.

Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Demon340

Liked 94 Times in 24 Posts

Can you smell the difference? I have noticed that some fuels as you pour into the cell have a different smell then others.
Demon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
BRINK

Liked 140 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiejr2892 View Post
I have slept on this last night and wasn't going to say anything but I'm at Charlotte bought 5 gallons of 112 from sunoco, tried to make qualifying runs and car would not stay running
Thought fuel pump was bad , carb, ignition
Come to find out that gave methanol at the sunoco truck .
Yeah , I was mad , so I'm just saying check your fuel when you buy at truck
I'm not a whiner or never complain but I thought racers should be aware , it's a bad feeling , well I'm going to try my best this morning , eddie
Try VP, wont have that problem.
BRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
BRINK

Liked 140 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon340 View Post
Can you smell the difference? I have noticed that some fuels as you pour into the cell have a different smell then others.
Great info. Now we have to smell the fuel before a fuel check. Are you serious ?
BRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
CMcAllister

Liked 725 Times in 199 Posts

I've heard of guys pouring water in their fuel tank thinking it was methanol, since both are usually clear. Is Sunoco methanol dyed blue? Any race fuel has such a pungent, peculiar smell, I would think that would be a tip off.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

OK.. OK.. so when are people going to reset their alarm clocks, and WAKE UP!!!.. with all of the nonsense surrounding Sunoco Race Fuels, my question would easily be, "IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU USING IT??"..

We continue to hear horror story after horror story about the brand, but for some reason think that because it's the fuel of NHRA, we have to use it.. they can't test it in the Pro Stock cars, they can't test it in the Comp cars, they are probably still guessing in the Stk and SS cars, or just saying it's close enough, and they have even had problems with their methanol.. the stuff almost never tests right, has no shelf life, and has been a proven detriment in higher compression and horsepower cars... BUT, for some reason, those that don't have to use it, continue to use it, and those that have to use it get penalized in power, or parts...

I do understand that NHRA has made it difficult to get VP Race Fuels at some venues, but it is always available, and usually not to far off site.. giving up performance, changing tune-ups, and breaking parts make the trip to get VP worth it.. especially if you can use it in your class... how can racers get a DQ, when the product can't even be tested???

AND NOW, we hear that either they are not putting it in the right drums, or their race personnel just don't care, or suck.. OR ALL THREE.. how do you possibly mix up fuel for a Stk or SS car??... beyond me..

I actually was amazed to read an article where the NHRA VP of Competition stated that they went to Sunoco SR-18 as a way of slowing down Pro Stock.. might not be the exact words, but it is the meaning.. NHRA needs to be ashamed of themselves for ruining a class, and penalizing racers across the board.. and all just to stuff someone's pockets.. NO DOUBT!!

DON'T EVEN COME NEAR ME WITH THAT DIESEL FUEL!!!... and remember, if you don't have to use it, DON'T!!!
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #9
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I tried that stuff, because it was easier to get at the races. Had trouble with it failing fuel check. The fuel check guys said they got their samples that weekend from the Sunoco reps at the track. I bought Sunoco fuel, a gallon sample from each drum they had. The drums of the supposedly same number Sunoco did not all check the same.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

I`ve run Sunoco since 1995, never had an issue anywhere. Even after sitting in the stock tank over the winter and it passes 5 months later.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote