Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: OLD Modified Corvettes

Bobby Earnhardt, Spartanburg, SC 1979
Bobby Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #112
Bobby Bennett

Harold Bradey Corvette, later sold to Tim Freeman. This car was built in partnership with George McCorckle of the Marshall Tucker Band.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #113
Bobby Bennett

Strawberry Dixon F/Gas
Old 12-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #114
Bobby Bennett

Bob Earnhardt's Corvette a week before it burned to the ground.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #115
Bobby Bennett

Bradey dry-hopping at Spartanburg.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #116
Bobby Bennett

To my best knowledge Ben Trammel never had a Corvette. He had a Nova SS/F car. Olds Cutlass and as Beretta, which crashed.

Here's some Spartanburg Dragway footage, the primered Corvette is Strawberry Dixon. The multi-colored Vette is Dane Pearson, the same car he runs today.

The 55 Chevy Wagon is, believe it or not, Pro Mod racer Quain Stott

Liked
Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #117
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Not to hyjack the post. That's already been done. Ha! The old corvettes would come out of the woodwork for this. This is directed to Dick. 3 classes are fine, These rules are basically the same as my track was for 3 years. We had to include certain things to get cars because we were in a limited area for exposure. So we let in clutchless, had to add 150 lbs. let in dry sumps, add 50 lbs. All had to run Brodix spec heads, and lesser heads if they preferred. Such as 292, 461x etc. Unported. Now, remember. We're in the middle of no where, so we had to improvise. I do know, after talking to Chris Paget at Comp, he said they would be all over this with cams etc. And, if it ever went, would want to throw one of their heads in the mix as an alternative, that matched, but did not exceed the flow numbers of the Brodix. Chris, and I actually raced against each other a lot at Bethany 100 years ago. Call him up, and ask him about it. He LOVES this type of racing. Also, ,4 tree ONLY. Trust me, it's way better for clean lights and good drivers. I used to be good, but haven't drove since 2005. Steve Thompson took over the driving chores after that, but I'd still take my chances. I just doubt it'll ever go. We had an average of 50 cars, and 500, to 800 people a weekend. Also, no sealed motors. Not good. Just well policed spec.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #118
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Allowing some of the specials you mention is great way to get them involved. Then publicize a schedule of when they would have to move to the basic rules. You know one month grace period, 3 races etc. Someway to "herd" all people to comply with basic rules sooner or later. Find a basic track to feature the racers with Big Voice support.
Would other company want to be involved? I believe Jesel would support too. Maybe World Products for basic Block. Get a few current 350 racers involved by only changing heads. Get some real excitement by Heads up winning and tuning.

Maybe ask friends for interest level?
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #119
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

All very good points Dick. I'm glad you understand why we had to be a little more inclusive in small town U.S.A. But it did help that that track, as antique as it was, was a heads up track since 1966. A 350 cube, or there abouts, would be a fine starting point. As you know, I love the baby motors, but could adapt. No one would get exactly what they want, but there is a common goal. I believe a 350, at 3,000lbs. could run mid, to low nines, and 6.0'[s
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #120
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Red face Re: OLD Modified Corvettes

The reason I mentioned 1980 and newer was affordability,, as the '72 and older bodies are getting into some pricey territory nowadays, unless you already own one.
Randy,, I'm curious why your racers were tied to Brodix heads, when there were other comparable brands also available, such as AFR, Edelbrock Victors, World, etc. Did somebody have a deal going? If the rules called for a spec head, couldn't they have gone with a runner limit, say a 200, or 220 as opposed to a particular brand? I guess I missed the point.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote