HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #21
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Suppose I’m a bit more “glass half full” type. Think the hypermedia would seem to validate your position but I also get to see young Eagle Scouts, church youth groups and others that appear to be on the right path. Part of the problem stems from social media giving youth an impression that they have a bonafide voice when in most cases they have neither the life experiences or basic understanding required to express themselves responsibly. They see polarized groups and think they need to join one side or the other instead of their being part of mainstream America that goes about doing what made the USA great. But off my soapbox...

At some point I think today’s youth will recognize technology as being unable to deliver on it’s promise of offering a “better life”. It actually undermines family values (undertaking “tech-free” family times such as meals is a great start) and the inherent human desire to have interpersonal contact, build things with your own hands and participate with others in activities that engage all their senses. Racing offers such an activity so long as pistons pulse, which I think they will for many years to come. If you know a youth who is falling into the technology rabbit hole have them watch the movie “The World’s Fastest Indian”. It might get the wheels turning...

And thanks to Dan for posting the video...

A beautifully written post. You are a glass-is-half-full guy, and I am not, but I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong in my belief that the traditional American way of life is slowly fading. Kids today are literally bombarded with messages of hate and intolerance of American values, and to your point, they are also told repeatedly (by unscrupulous, charismatic strangers who manipulate them solely to advance their own agendas) that their opinions and perceptions matter, though they understand almost nothing of the world around them. Because most parents let their children raise themselves, the virtuous actions of the small group of traditional parents are swamped by the rhetoric of the popular culture.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #22
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
A beautifully written post. You are a glass-is-half-full guy, and I am not, but I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong in my belief that the traditional American way of life is slowly fading. Kids today are literally bombarded with messages of hate and intolerance of American values, and to your point, they are also told repeatedly (by unscrupulous, charismatic strangers who manipulate them solely to advance their own agendas) that their opinions and perceptions matter, though they understand almost nothing of the world around them. Because most parents let their children raise themselves, the virtuous actions of the small group of traditional parents are swamped by the rhetoric of the popular culture.
You nailed it !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dinkel View Post
None of the cars going around the track are even close to anything the auto companies build. They all look the same.
Sounds like Ha Ha cars and Pro Stock !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

"Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
A beautifully written post. You are a glass-is-half-full guy, and I am not, but I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong in my belief that the traditional American way of life is slowly fading."

The only thing I disagree with you on , is that "The traditional American way of life" is NOT slowly fading, but rather, QUICKLY fading.
On a side note, I'm so tired of the propaganda of the nightly news, I don't even watch anymore.
Tim Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #25
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
Sad but true. It's more than a shame, it's a disgrace.

Hopefully there are enough parents and kids out there that reject the BS of this culture of shame and division.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
Sad but true. It's more than a shame, it's a disgrace.

Hopefully there are enough parents and kids out there that reject the BS of this culture of shame and division.
I personally don't see that today, just like 50 years ago, each of us drifted to the groupes we felt thought the same. Peer pressure is the driving force and the kids do not want to be an outsider so they go along with the high school and college propaganda. Defiantly won't listen to "old" people. Very few on here had a parent who was into racing like us.
My parents taught me what was right and wrong at an early age, then at 18 pop said make your own choices but keep your mouth shut and eyes open and you'll learn the ropes, he was right and has worked for 51 years. Who does that today?
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #27
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dinkel View Post
None of the cars going around the track are even close to anything the auto companies build. They all look the same.
When I was in Charlotte last year at the Nascar HOF, they had two cars "halved" to show how true they were to the production version. Look at the difference between Richard Petty's 92 Grand Prix to an actual one vs. The "Nascamry" to its production counterpart....

Old 11-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #28
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Very interesting to look at those two Pontiac cars kinda look similar front and rear but the Toyota is not even close----what does a side silhouette of both cars look like ---since 5 Star I believe makes all the bodies for Nascar other than a decal (Ford/Chevy/Toyota ) on the front or rear its probably the same basic shape
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #29
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,416 Times in 1,683 Posts

I never saw an actual race or watched one on TV, but I used to like to see the pictures when they were still using different, distinct body styles.
For me, I saw the beginning of the end to be when they all started using SBC's in 95% of the cars. The nail in the coffin was when they allowed 4dr only cars to be made into 2 drs.
This was about the time that the real car guys were replaced with the casual spectators, and the NASCAR fad began..You know what happens to all fads eventually.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #30
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Its way less complicated to me really.....

Our society has changed and the vast majority does not give a crap about cars, motorsports and racing in general.

We were always a MINORITY anyway !

The average kid today is nothing whatsoever like I was or many of my gearhead friends. I pumped gas and worked in a gas station as did many young guys back then. Learned the mechanic trade. I Was star struck the minute I first saw fast cars and went to the track as a 12-13 year old. Hooked me for life..

Practically every gas station had something to do with some kind of race car. Drag cars and dirt track mostly around here.

Today every gas station is just a gas station and here in my home state of NJ where we have attendants they hardly speak English and ride bicycles.....Cars ? Don't even own one......

NASACR rode the wave and so did NHRA.....'80's-'90's at its peak.

NASCAR went thru the roof for a while and so did NHRA......Then the bottom fell out...…..Sponsors disappeared for all the reasons mentioned in the video.

The wave is gone and its not coming back.....

Best we can do is keep it going for a while...….and like the video says it may all be gone in 10 years...

Race tracks become housing for all the illegals...….sheesh....

For me there is no example more telling than the closing of Englishtown......50 miles from my home......They can make millions to park damaged cars......and drag racing is done. They still run other various events just no drag racing......They make a profit without the headaches......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 11-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote