HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #1451
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Not sure why bearing issues seem to follow me around but I've bounced back and fourth between Clevite and King bearings and let me tell you the King's are far superior. Every King set measures dead on and the Clevites seem to not be consistent with their coatings. Didn't get the results I was looking for so I next dayed a set of King's for tomorrow, hopefully that takes care of that. We did manage to salvage some time and get the rods on the pistons, get the rings on, freeze plugs in, as many cam bearings in as we could still on the stand, installed the dowels and cleaned up the rear cap for the oil pump. Autumn helped out on some big boy stuff today too. Fingers crossed for the bearings tomorrow and we'll start final assembly.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #1452
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

It does seem like these updates are getting later and later doesn't it? Ahhh bearings you can count on (still not impressed with Dart's machining). Seems like all we do is measure stuff and wash stuff, but every once in a while we actually torque stuff for a final time, and we got to do just a little of that today. Started by getting it off the stand onto a cart to finish the last two cam bearings and freeze plugs, then off to the washer for the final time. then finally had some bearing luck. Pulled the oil pump apart to clean it and off we went finally getting into final assembly. Stay tuned, more tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #1453
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

What an education for this young racer.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #1454
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
What an education for this young racer.
Sure is Frank, and dad too hahaha.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #1455
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Working on heads a bit today.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #1456
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Sheesh!!! I do not envy engine builders, it most certainly is a love for their craft because the manufacturers shaft them daily. Why none of these parts fit together is beyond me, I mean these people have to grind, fit, re-fit, mill, cut and drill every part. The timing chain gears didn't line up properly so between three sets I made one work but of course that burns up hours we don't have. Not to mention standing on the oil pan to get it to fit and having to fight the gasket that wouldn't fit in the improperly machined timing cover. oh well there's always tomorrow. (Oil pan is on just no picture).
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #1457
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Not all bad today, got the heads all done with only 1 snafu, pulled one screw in stud threads, fixed but hope it doesn't leak water. Intake won't fit again, addressing that tomorrow. Can't put thoughts together with no sleep so here are some pictures.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #1458
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

The main problem with being an engine builder is that the nature of that work is very time consuming in order to make stuff fit right as you go along. It's labor intensive, and the main problem is that if you kept track of all the time it took to properly do an engine and charged an adequate hourly rate, it would price most persons right out of a job. You can't charge what this work is really worth. A set of cylinder heads can be as labor intensive as a whole short block, then there's the valve train angularity and push rod lengths and all that to sort out once the heads are on. Then,the intake, and it's always different for every engine you build. This stuff leads to instant insanity. The slow insanity comes later.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #1459
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
The main problem with being an engine builder is that the nature of that work is very time consuming in order to make stuff fit right as you go along. It's labor intensive, and the main problem is that if you kept track of all the time it took to properly do an engine and charged an adequate hourly rate, it would price most persons right out of a job. You can't charge what this work is really worth. A set of cylinder heads can be as labor intensive as a whole short block, then there's the valve train angularity and push rod lengths and all that to sort out once the heads are on. Then,the intake, and it's always different for every engine you build. This stuff leads to instant insanity. The slow insanity comes later.
Greg, it takes 3 weeks to measure, machine, re-measure and fit, then 1 day to put it all together. It is in fact insanity!
Old 08-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #1460
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Well as usual we spent way too much time fitting the manifold but finally got it. Lash set on break in rockers, pre lubed, plugs and headers. Didn't take many pictures today but it's on the dyno cart.

Last edited by Nmbr1GMfan; 08-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote